PDA

View Full Version : injury advice?

Texas Dreamer
07-08-2004, 09:45
Sitting here at work in a boot cast--crutches at my side. Doc thinks it is a torn anterior something or other (was in pain, not listening properly). Full diagnoses in a few weeks when swelling goes down and MRI is possible. Anybody with experience with this sort of thing? What am I looking at here for recovery time and resuming training? Had been hoping for a month to six weeks of AT time in spring of '05 and the whole shebang in '06--still have a lot of getting in shape to do to accomplish those goals, so I'm a little freaked out at this stage.

BTW--did ya'll know that tequila and everclear should never be mixed?

MOWGLI
07-08-2004, 09:54
Why would anyone want to mix tequila and grain alcohol? Stay off the booze and concentrate on your recovery. If you have torn your ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament), it will be a long and arduous rehab.

Best of luck!!

P.S.: Has anyone seen Dubya on TV today? Is he using crutches? :o

gravityman
07-08-2004, 10:10
Why would anyone want to mix tequila and grain alcohol? Stay off the booze and concentrate on your recovery. If you have torn your ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament), it will be a long and arduous rehab.

Best of luck!!

P.S.: Has anyone seen Dubya on TV today? Is he using crutches? :o

Long and arduous? I don't think so. I had ACL replacement twice in the same knee. The first time took 3 months before I was off the crutches because the doctor stunk, and also provided no rehab. The second time I was off crutches in under a week.

I wrote a few posts on this a while back. Let me see if I can find them. Here's one : http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3921&postcount=13

and another : http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2735

enjoy!

Gravity man

SavageLlama
07-08-2004, 10:10
um... duh.

MOWGLI
07-08-2004, 10:18
Long and arduous? I don't think so. I had ACL replacement twice in the same knee. The first time took 3 months before I was off the crutches because the doctor stunk, and also provided no rehab. The second time I was off crutches in under a week.

GM, do you think there is any relationship between no rehab the first time, and the 2nd injury?

TREE-HUGGER
07-08-2004, 12:11
I have had a lifetime of knee pain and problems. Cut off my right knee cap when I was twelve and almost lost my leg with a riding lawn mower accident. And had my left knee crushed between two cars on another time. I can only tell you that the secret is in strength training. The stronger your muscles are the less trouble you will have and the more you can do. And this means weight in the gym. The smartest thing you can do is hire a trainer to get you started.

gravityman
07-08-2004, 15:00
GM, do you think there is any relationship between no rehab the first time, and the 2nd injury?

No, actually. The reason it went a 2nd time was because of a poor job the first time. The doctor though that he would just be cleaning up the meniscus (sp) but when he got in there the ACL was torn. He should have known that. Anyway, rather than taking a piece of new tissue, he tried to reattach the old ACL. It rarely takes, and it didn't in my case either. But I knew that, so didn't ski, didn't do anything too agressive (was also studying like mad, so didn't have time). A few years later I went out to play some soccor after passing my graduate school exams (FINALLY no more studying!) and blew it out. Was the first real stress I ever put on it.

One note - the graft part is interesting. The new tissue dies slowly, then the body regrows the ligement on the old matrix (My old ligement was too long dead, so it didn't give an appropriate regrowing matrix). This takes several months, so, even though you feel fully healed after a week or two, you still have several months before it is about 50%, and I think about a year before it is 80% original strength. It is never back to 100%.

Hiking does not effect the ACL unless you trip. You might not need a new ACL at all. But you might have some miniscus damage that could give you pain, in which case they would go in there and clean it up. Might as well get the ACL done at the same time. I rarely use the ACL (since I know what it feels like when I didn't have one for a while). The only time I knew I didn't have it is skiing. But it does increase you chances of damaging the meniscus. When that's gone, it's knee replacement.

Gravity Man

Go with a hamstring graft. Much better recovery.

gravityman
07-08-2004, 15:05
Sitting here at work in a boot cast--crutches at my side. Doc thinks it is a torn anterior something or other (was in pain, not listening properly). Full diagnoses in a few weeks when swelling goes down and MRI is possible. Anybody with experience with this sort of thing? What am I looking at here for recovery time and resuming training? Had been hoping for a month to six weeks of AT time in spring of '05 and the whole shebang in '06--still have a lot of getting in shape to do to accomplish those goals, so I'm a little freaked out at this stage.

DUH! Finally went back and read the first message. You are in a boot cast? Must be an ankle thing, and not an ACL. DOH! Anyway, if it is the ankle, it's most likely no big deal. I had pretty bad evulsion fractures on both feet and broke my talus on the left foot about a year before the AT from a climbing accident. Most likely nothing to worry about. Be back in about 6 weeks, fewer if you want to push it.

Gravity Man

Rain Man
07-08-2004, 16:41
... Has anyone seen Dubya on TV today? Is he using crutches? :o

Uh .... since BIRTH???!!!

ROTFLMAO
:dance
Sorry, I couldn't help myself!!!!

I promise to be better. I promise!

Rain Man

Texas Dreamer
07-08-2004, 17:44
Yeah--it's the ankle. I think i'm going to make up a story about rescuing a kitten or something, I've been asked a dozen times today what happened--it kind of bites to have to admit to a margharita induced accident!

Thanks for the responses--I've been a little freaked out about something so stupid possibly ending my dream. I actually have no memory of what exactly happened, I think I'll take the advice and lay off the booze, for awhile, anyway.

mountainfreedom
07-07-2005, 17:19
I would get a "peace pipe" and smoke it.
What up Texas? When did you leave the trail?
Pete (no nickname).

c.coyle
07-07-2005, 18:57
... P.S.: Has anyone seen Dubya on TV today? Is he using crutches? :o

Didn't see any crutches. As always, he was walking like he has a stick up his a**.