PDA

View Full Version : Darlington and Townies

dudeijuststarted
07-06-2009, 10:47
Hiked from Boiling Springs to Duncannon this weekend, with a night at Darlington. All was well, with a shelter full of thru-hikers. Around midnight some idiots in enyce jeans came strolling up, banging on a drum, pitching tents, smoking weed, and shouting like they were from the slums of baltimore.

All of the hikers we spoke to said they've never seen anything like that in their 1000+ miles they've done so far. Wish there was something that could be done to prevent this crap. Needless to say, the next day was exhausting.

In the event that one of these clowns see this post (doubtful), I've got a dirty boot and a desire to shove it up your arse. Stay off the trail.

Lone Wolf
07-06-2009, 10:52
another reason to just never camp near or stay in shelters. there's 1000s of acres of quiet woods to sleep in

mudhead
07-06-2009, 10:55
What are enyce jeans?

DAJA
07-06-2009, 10:55
Hiked from Boiling Springs to Duncannon this weekend, with a night at Darlington. All was well, with a shelter full of thru-hikers. Around midnight some idiots in enyce jeans came strolling up, banging on a drum, pitching tents, smoking weed, and shouting like they were from the slums of baltimore.

All of the hikers we spoke to said they've never seen anything like that in their 1000+ miles they've done so far. Wish there was something that could be done to prevent this crap. Needless to say, the next day was exhausting.

In the event that one of these clowns see this post (doubtful), I've got a dirty boot and a desire to shove it up your arse. Stay off the trail.

While that would be frustrating, perhaps you may consider not camping near shelters to avoid these sort of events... After all it's a free country, you are completely free to stay where you did, but then again so are they!

Your want for quite could be seen as an infringement on their want for loud.. Simply different objectives, so aim to avoid these situations by avoiding shelters and any other place people converge!

Gumbi
07-06-2009, 10:57
What are enyce jeans?
I was just wondering the same thing myself!

mudhead
07-06-2009, 10:59
I should have Googled first. Bet they like rat music.

World-Wide
07-06-2009, 11:00

Should've applied that dirty boot where it needed to be the night of the encounter so there were no mixed messages!! But perhaps circumstances would not allow it?? Sorry to here about your experience!! The more I read on this site the more I think to myself, "screw the shelter life!" W-W

High Life
07-06-2009, 11:05
shelters suck .. but seriously wasnt anyone like cut the crap to them ?
i mean ive crawled into a shelter or set up a tent later than that
but did it real quiet ..if someone was banging a drum i would be like ****

Gumbi
07-06-2009, 13:26
I should have Googled first. Bet they like rat music.
What is rat music? Or did you mean RAP music (Retards Attempting Poetry)?

dudeijuststarted
07-13-2009, 21:30
It was too late to round everybody up for a confrontation, i had no idea what these idiots were up to. However, great advice, I'm staying away from shelters and getting a hammock.

Hikerhead
07-13-2009, 22:03
It was too late to round everybody up for a confrontation, i had no idea what these idiots were up to. However, great advice, I'm staying away from shelters and getting a hammock.

Good choice.

saimyoji
07-13-2009, 22:09
shelters close to roads are usually bad news....those deep in the woods are usually okay.....as far as townies go.....

Blue Jay
07-14-2009, 13:08

This is hysterical. You would rather stay there and be mad then take 10 minutes and move elsewhere. I'm afraid you are the clown, sorry.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-14-2009, 18:27
Hmmm... I think I might just grab my hammock and head out there to Darlington tonight...maybe I can catch the circus...sounds like great entertainment!

Hoop Time
07-14-2009, 21:32
another reason to just never camp near or stay in shelters. there's 1000s of acres of quiet woods to sleep in

Technically, I think the only places you are allowed to camp between Boiling Springs and Duncannon are at Darlington and Cove. Not that there is likely to be a state forest ranger out there looking for stealth campers.

As far as any sort of confrontation with them is concerned, not sure that would be wise. Even if you had numbers, no telling who might be packing these days.

Your best bet would probably be to let the ATC in Boiling Springs know what went on so they can try to keep an eye on the situation in the future.

Thanks for the post, though. I was thinking of taking Cookie Monster on a slightly shorter version of that hike -- something like Trindle Road or Route 11 to Duncannon -- later this summer if her first overnighter (Mid State Trail, Weikert to Poe Paddy and back) this weekend goes well. Definitely does not sound like a situation I'd want to encounter with a 13-year-old along.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2009, 21:36
Your best bet would probably be to let the ATC in Boiling Springs know what went on so they can try to keep an eye on the situation in the future.

nah. that office let the the 1990 murderer walk on by. they as well as ATC took no active role in the apprehension of Crews

saimyoji
07-14-2009, 21:44
nah. that office let the the 1990 murderer walk on by. they as well as ATC took no active role in the apprehension of Crews

and YOU did???

(i know you did just bustin your balls) :)

Lone Wolf
07-14-2009, 21:48
and YOU did???

(i know you did just bustin your balls) :)

no. but 3 of my friends did. and caught him.

saimyoji
07-14-2009, 21:59
no. but 3 of my friends did. and caught him.

my bad...i thought you were one of the guys that got him.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-14-2009, 22:15
Both the Cove Mtn. & Darlington Shelters are in St. Games Lands 170...
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/game/maps/zoom_maps.asp?sgl=170&rgn=Southcentral&submit.x=24&submit.y=16

I have never once seen a PA Law Enforcement Officer at either shelter in many years of camping and day-hiking in 170...or on Peters Mtn... (even during WWIII...I mean...deer hunting season). Only place I've run into them was out in Stony Valley (Game Lands 211) near Rausch Gap and that was 1 time 5 or 6 years ago. Seems that the Game Commission or whomever is the law enforcement in these places is nonexistent.

Hoop Time
07-26-2009, 17:16
There Friday night. No sign of townies, but did here some dogs barking not too far way. Unless there is a cabin nearby, someone must have been camping in the woods, but I never saw them.

By the way, the spring is not flowing.

Jeff
07-26-2009, 17:37
By the way, the spring is not flowing.

New England has so much rain I am sure every spring is flowing quite well. Is PA going through a dry spell?

Hoop Time
07-26-2009, 18:30
New England has so much rain I am sure every spring is flowing quite well. Is PA going through a dry spell?

We actually had very heavy rain Thursday and more rain Friday, but I went down to the spring just to check and there was barely even a drip every 10 or 20 seconds. Had more rain late yesterday and again today, so it is possible that could change I guess. But I would not take the chance, especially northbound since it is several miles to the next water, a small stream below Cove Mountain.

emerald
07-26-2009, 18:35
Is PA going through a dry spell?

No, it's normal for springs high on Kittatinny Ridge to become unreliable as summer wears on.

July's been maybe a bit cooler this year with average rainfall (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/Maps/PANY_counties_mtd_color.htm), but conditions change.

saimyoji
07-26-2009, 21:35
you bet....springs can just up and dry even after a nice rainfall.....more updates over the next few days....

.....i must say that this years thru hikers seem weaker / slower / lazier than previous years....or maybe i just expect more than i used to......:-?

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2009, 10:51
To the original poster:

Threatening to boot people up the ass on the Internet might make you feel better, but it doesn't accomplish much.

You mentioned there was a shelter full of thru-hikers present.

So why didn't you confront these people and politely tell them to settle down a bit?

Chances are they would've done so.

And if they didn't, or if they blew you off, then you could have called in a report on them, especially if you witnessed them doing illegal things. Or at least, you could have spoken to them the following morning, and tried to give some constructive criticism/education so that maybe they'd behave better the next time they were out.

Hikers that witness improper behavior on the Trail need to be more pro-active about doing something about it. When hikers act poorly on the Trail, in hostels, or in Trail towns or businesses, this is almost always witnessed by other hikers........who generally do absolutely nothing about it.

So next time speak up and say something. That's frequently more effective than venting later on a computer.

dudeijuststarted
10-08-2009, 15:14
big rant followed by

"That's frequently more effective than venting later on a computer."

I really don't care i was just telling people the townies were jerks that particular weekend.

Johnny Thunder
10-10-2009, 22:46
These kids probably weren't local "townies". I mean, maybe in Nap-town this sort of thing is normal but it's tough for me to imagine some young ruffians, all hepped up on late-night Perkins coffee, leaving the slums of Camp Hill and going all the way up the mountain to bang on drums and smoke drugs all in your face like. It's farm country, Jones. Any local kid could come up with a hundred better places to do that stuff than an AT shelter.

More likely, they were from elsewhere.

Hoop Time
12-10-2009, 23:55
These kids probably weren't local "townies". I mean, maybe in Nap-town this sort of thing is normal but it's tough for me to imagine some young ruffians, all hepped up on late-night Perkins coffee, leaving the slums of Camp Hill and going all the way up the mountain to bang on drums and smoke drugs all in your face like. It's farm country, Jones. Any local kid could come up with a hundred better places to do that stuff than an AT shelter.

More likely, they were from elsewhere.

Camp Hill kids have no reason to leave town. Their parents let them party at home (not me!, but lots of my kids' friends' parents).

ShelterLeopard
12-11-2009, 01:07
I'd leave the shelter. I know it's easier said than done, but once you've packed up, moved on, unpacked and set up, you'd be so much happier. And you really don't have to go too far before the drunken roar is but a bitter memory.

In general (as stated before in this thread) I usually make a big effort never to use shelters near roadsides.

ShelterLeopard
12-11-2009, 01:10
As for calling the authorities/cops/whatnot, they'll take ages if they even come, and it'll just make a scene. Probably won't help you sleep. In the interest of spending a night of serene sleep, I'd say move on, and let the drunken idiots get eaten by bears. Or other hikers.

bfitz
12-11-2009, 01:29
Actually, yeah....I don't think there's any law prohibiting folks from staying up later than you and having a good time, just as there's no law preventing you from walking away. Great thing about the trail is all the elbow room. That's actually why most people like it so much. I think your boot belongs somewhere else. Shelter nazis are the most annoying people on the trail. And without exception they get up at six AM and cook breakfast and bang pots and pans and talk before leaving the shelter. Why is that ok but stayin up and partyin a little bit after a day of hiking isn't? Personally I never sleep in the shelters, I like the quiet sanctum of my tent. But I do like to hang out and party with folks at the shelter before going off to bed. And if I was sleeping there I'd much rather have a good time and meet some locals then listen to you snorin right after dinner.

bfitz
12-11-2009, 01:31
that came out a little personal attacky. Remove the you and insert anybody when you read that last post.

JoshStover
12-11-2009, 01:32
Actually, yeah....I don't think there's any law prohibiting folks from staying up later than you and having a good time, just as there's no law preventing you from walking away. Great thing about the trail is all the elbow room. That's actually why most people like it so much. I think your boot belongs somewhere else. Shelter nazis are the most annoying people on the trail. And without exception they get up at six AM and cook breakfast and bang pots and pans and talk before leaving the shelter. Why is that ok but stayin up and partyin a little bit after a day of hiking isn't? Personally I never sleep in the shelters, I like the quiet sanctum of my tent. But I do like to hang out and party with folks at the shelter before going off to bed. And if I was sleeping there I'd much rather have a good time and meet some locals then listen to you snorin right after dinner.

WORD..... :banana

Atreus
05-14-2010, 13:23
I camp out along the AT every year with a crew of 8-10 poeple. We can get loud and roudy late at night drinking our whiskey and singing our songs. But we are MILES away from any Shelter, so as not to bother Thru-Hikers. Occasionally there is a Scout group that camps near us, and they don't get much sleep and are usualy gone before we wake in the late morning. We all haul out our trash and leave the place nicer than when we arrived. Are we considered hooligans for drinking (all over 21) and being loud? OR are we just a bunch of AT lovers that get together every year to party and catch up is an environment we all love?

IronGutsTommy
01-14-2011, 22:22
i cant stand seeing permanent idiocy, like graffitti (high rock area in maryland). but as far as townies, they have a right to foot it up the trail just as well as a thru hiker does. the drum woulda pissed me off but i couldnt count how many times a "proper" hiker walked up to a shelter i was sleeping in at 10, 11 pm and just stared in at me with their headlamps on "cornea burn" setting. idiots. one actually asked "are you awake??" in a loud voice 3 times in a row while i waited for him to leave me be, then had the nerve to try and strike up a convo with me. so yeah, public places, invariably, gather idiots of all types. yeah enyce jeans, like south pole, fubu, etc, is simply wrangler jeans with a colorful label on the back pocket that suddenly jumps the price up to 60 dollars a pair. "that jacket is dope, son, NAHHMEANNN?!?!"

IronGutsTommy
01-31-2011, 00:36
yeah i agree

TheChop
01-31-2011, 02:20
Should have said something. Not sure why you didn't. I camped at Smokemont during my Smokies trip and it was awful. The first night a crew of like 12 roll in with their cars at midnight or one o'clock and didn't settle down for the next two hours. Then Saturday night people were up late laughing and carrying on around us. Of course 8pm seemed real late because we were on a hiking clock. I woke up that night around 1am and my tent was lit up like it was day time. I read a bit and then realized someone was shining their brights directly on my tent. I got up and walked over and asked them to turn it off. Sure I was pissed when I got out of the tent but the dude who owned the car was very apologetic.

Moral of the story is communication is key. They have just as much right to be out there as you do. Just because they're not out there to make miles and want to yuk it up around a campfire doesn't mean they're in the wrong. Especially if no one said anything to them.

Camping Dave
01-31-2011, 07:46
I camp out along the AT every year with a crew of 8-10 poeple. We can get loud and roudy late at night drinking our whiskey and singing our songs. But we are MILES away from any Shelter, so as not to bother Thru-Hikers. Occasionally there is a Scout group that camps near us, and they don't get much sleep and are usualy gone before we wake in the late morning. We all haul out our trash and leave the place nicer than when we arrived. Are we considered hooligans for drinking (all over 21) and being loud? OR are we just a bunch of AT lovers that get together every year to party and catch up is an environment we all love?

You are idiots.

takethisbread
01-31-2011, 15:30
Johnny works in a factory and Billy works downtown
Terry works in a rock and roll band
Lookin' for that million-dollar sound
I got a little job down in Darlington
But some nights I don't go
Some nights I go to the drive-in, or some nights I stay home
I followed that dream just like those guys do up on the screen
And I drive a Challenger down Route 9 through the dead ends and all the bad scenes
And when the promise was broken, I cashed in a few of my dream