PDA

View Full Version : rain gear and staying dry

DavidNH
07-06-2009, 11:18
From your experience folks, for hiking in an all day rain.. the kind that isn't necessarily a downpour but just doesn't let up for hours if not days, what have you found works best to stay dry?

Myself, I have tried Gore-tex and Frog Toggs. Both eventually will wet through.

Is the pricier stuff necessarily better? If it came to it, I would find a way to even spend 300 dollars on jacket and pants that where truly waterproof and breathable, but only if it really worked. I have read of E Vent fabrics sounds good but wonder if anyone has experience with it.

So what works best?

David

I

Snowleopard
07-06-2009, 12:11
For June here in MA, a house with a good roof works OK.
Some people use umbrellas. I've tried it on shorter hikes and it works. It won't work well above treeline in wind or in brush or narrow trails where the umbrella hangs up on branches.

Maybe you already know, Goretex has a DWR (durable water resistant) treatment on the outside surface. This makes the water bead up on the surface. If the water smears out across the surface it keeps the goretex from breathing and you'll get condensation. So with Goretex and its imitators, if water doesn't bead up the DWR needs to be renewed. Washing with the wrong kind of detergent interferes with the operation of the DWR.

snowhoe
07-06-2009, 12:20
I have said this before but NOOOOO one listened to me. If you are looking for the best rain jacket you need not look at the hiking stores you need to go to the fly fishing store. A company by the name of SIMMS makes the best breathable most dry rain jacket on the planet period. It is pretty expensive but it is worth every single dollar when you are trying to stay dry for days on end.

MOWGLI
07-06-2009, 12:20
From your experience folks, for hiking in an all day rain.. the kind that isn't necessarily a downpour but just doesn't let up for hours if not days, what have you found works best to stay dry?

Is the pricier stuff necessarily better? If it came to it, I would find a way to even spend 300 dollars on jacket and pants that where truly waterproof and breathable, but only if it really worked. I have read of E Vent fabrics sounds good but wonder if anyone has experience with it.

So what works best?

David

I

Nothing. If you're going up and down mountains wearing a rain jacket, and the temps are in the 60s or higher, you're gonna get wet because of condensation. IMO, there is no such thing as a breathable jacket for a full day of backpacking in the mountains. Especially during the summer.

Be one with the rain.

ChinMusic
07-06-2009, 12:41
When I was in the Smokies in early May, and in the middle of the 2-day torrent, I saw several thrus just wearing shorts and a tee just soaked to the nines. I was "much smarter" in my rain jacket but frankly just as soaked.

IMO, when it is REALLY bad, and warm enough, just get wet and protect your dry clothing for camp.

High Life
07-06-2009, 12:42
ok heres the deal .. if you want full on water proof pretty much any membrian will work
as long as the DWR ( durable water repellent ) is working , as mentioned earlier in this thread . It keep the water beading up . If the nylon "wets out " that means the water is no longer beading up. which dramatically reduces the breath-ability of the membrane , laminate whatever you choose .
In any case if you do not pace yourself correctly , no matter the rain gear you will sweat and if you are sweating a lot faster than the fabric breathes you will soak in your own sweat. as far as my experience goes , I've found that Gore laminates work better than Membranes ( i.e , Precip jacket ) . I've used a marmot Goretex-XCR and now a Arcteryx Gore-tex XRC jacket for years now. Now with the invention of the PRO laminate its gotten even more breathable. Pace is definately the trick and doesnt always work , jackets with pit zips can help remove moister from the inside.
products like Niwax , I prefer the wash-in kind will help restore your garments DWR finish and as with any piece of gear keeping it clean will make the garment last longer and keep its breath-ability. I would recommend using tech-wash over traditional detergents or a softer non-residue detergent like wool lite or something

trippclark
07-06-2009, 12:48

So what works best?

David

I

I've thrown money at lots of different solutions. Here is what I have settled on that works best for me. Your mileage may vary.

My total rain "kit" includes:

1) Umbrella (GoLite Chrome Dome) = 8 oz
2) home made rain wrap similar to the one made and sold by Etowah Outfitters = 3 oz.
3) Brawny Gear Ultralight Gaiters = 1.5 oz.
4) DriDucks jacket = 5 oz
5) DriDucks pants = 5 oz (carry only sometimes)

17.5 oz is my typical carry weight for rain gear.

When hiking in the rain, I almost always wear items 1 - 3. I stay dry and do not sweat, as I would with most rain gear. In rare casees where conditions make umbrella unuseable (high wind), or when in camp where both hands are needed to set up and cook, I'll use the jacket (#4) rather than the umbrella. In very cold and windy conditions, I occassionally use the pants (#5), but often I don't even take them along. If I expect cold weather, I may take the pants since they also can provide some warmth for a small weight penalty.

Summit
07-06-2009, 14:16
When it's warm and rainy, I like getting wet. Helps regulate the body temperature for comfortable hiking. When it comes to cool/cold rainy day hiking, I focus on staying warm, not dry, and having a protected set of dry, warm clothes to change into in camp (tent or shelter). You don't have to go extremely high tech or spend a gazillion dollars to accomplish that. :)

OldStormcrow
07-06-2009, 15:08
Nothing. If you're going up and down mountains wearing a rain jacket, and the temps are in the 60s or higher, you're gonna get wet because of condensation. IMO, there is no such thing as a breathable jacket for a full day of backpacking in the mountains. Especially during the summer.

Be one with the rain.
I gotta agree with Mowgli on this one. I have several pieces of very good raingear, Gortex and otherwise, but still hate hiking in raingear in general. If it is 50 degrees or more and raining I take off everything I can legally (or illegally) get away with and put everything inside my pack. I usually don't stop but a few minutes for lunch, so I can just stay moving, stay warm, and put on all my dry stuff after I get to camp. I keep a stormcoat somewhere easily accessible in my pack for the odd occasion when the rain turns to sleet, though. If it's below 50 I wear an old worn out long sleeved polypro top and wring as much water out of it as possible that evening....by morning it will be dry. If it's below 32 degrees I wear a jacket or sweater or polarfleece and just brush the precipitation off!

Deadeye
07-06-2009, 22:22
What Mowgli and Chinmusic said. And I carry an umbrella - won't leave home without it. I've got a small collection of them, doesn't seem to be much difference between the little packable ones and the better quality stuff like the Golite. The trick is to hold the umbrella loosely so that when something (tree limbs mostly) grabs it, it can roll with the punches. If you're gripping it like money, it's more likely to tear, and you're likely to tire. I've yet to have one fail on me.

Tinker
07-06-2009, 23:11

Be one with the rain.

Ditto.
Rain jackets are for cool/cold days, and condensation inside of them is a given. A poncho works best in warmer weather, but even that will get you wet from condensation eventually. Warm bodies give off warm moist air which condenses on the inside of a garment, tent, whatever when the outer temperature is cooler than the inner (almost always, unless it's quite hot, then humidity is close to 100% and your sweat will just stick to whatever you're wearing under the raingear).
Gore-tex works best when the outside air is cold and DRY - exactly when you don't need it. At rest it "breathes" (more likely ventilates - through pit zips, partially opened zipper, etc.) adequately, but under the moisture driven out of the body under exertion its "breathability" can't keep up.
Winter stuff.

snowhoe
07-06-2009, 23:13
No one listens:rolleyes:

Tinker
07-06-2009, 23:16
I know, but you can't keep an optimist down :D.

Live (read "spend") and learn. ;)

Blissful
07-06-2009, 23:37
The only time mine seemingly wet through was actually my own perspiration. I dont recall my precip ever wetting through, but it can feel clammy next to your skin because of the fabric, giving the sensation of being wet when it is not.

My son loved his Go lite umbrella.

Frosty
07-06-2009, 23:39

Be one with the rain.And ask yourself if you'd prefer to be warm and wet or cool and wet.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-07-2009, 00:05

Which SIMMS jacket are you talking about? All their best jackets are gore-tex...

superman
07-07-2009, 05:00
And ask yourself if you'd prefer to be warm and wet or cool and wet.

I like my rain gear like I like my women...warm, wet and cheap.:)

Downhill Trucker
07-07-2009, 05:08
After 20+ years of searching for a way to stay dry, I am now back to they way I was told to stay dry 20+ years ago... a poncho. Breathable and versatile... Cheap and light. On my last trip I wore it over bare chest and shorts and I KNOW I was more comfortable than any waterproof/breathable combo could have kept me.

In the severe cold, its a different ballgame, but in three season weather, give me a poncho and good base layers. Thats my two cents.

juma
07-07-2009, 06:11
In warm weather, I like the umbrella hat and a pack cover.

50 degrees and below, a packa or gatewood cape.

juma

Summit
07-07-2009, 07:01
I like my rain gear like I like my women...warm, wet and cheap.:)If that's your "pick-up line," I would venture to guess you're in the midst of a long drought! :rolleyes:

kayak karl
07-07-2009, 07:25
In warm weather, I like the umbrella hat and a pack cover.

50 degrees and below, a packa or gatewood cape.

juma
i just bought a packa. haven't tried it yet. work well for you?

snowhoe
07-07-2009, 10:23
Which SIMMS jacket are you talking about? All their best jackets are gore-tex...

Its the Simms cloudveil. It is a tuff jacket and it works great. Thats all I can say. Until you try it you will not know what I am talking about. Its a wading/ rain jacket.

garlic08
07-07-2009, 10:56
Its the Simms cloudveil. It is a tuff jacket and it works great. Thats all I can say. Until you try it you will not know what I am talking about. Its a wading/ rain jacket.

I just did a quick search and it looks like Simms and Cloudveil are two different companies, each with a line of jackets. Could you please supply a link to which jacket you like?

Homer&Marje
07-07-2009, 13:12
I use my Frogg Toggs for cold weather now....a little less breathable and I just sweat a bucket full on the inside if it's over 50 F

Light weight moisture wicking clothes that dry quick. Nylon shorts, extra socks that are dry and a good pack cover.

hike in the rain, change your socks at lunch, dry as best you can at night. Baby powder for your feet will help against wrinkle foot.:D

snowhoe
07-07-2009, 13:28
I just did a quick search and it looks like Simms and Cloudveil are two different companies, each with a line of jackets. Could you please supply a link to which jacket you like?

Garlic, You are right!! I went out and grabbed my rain jacket and was looking at the tags and stuff and sure enough it is a cloudveil not a simms. I bought this jacket about 3 years ago and until this morning I thought it was a Simms. So I retract all the stuff I said about Simms and put the cloudveil name in place of it. I still stand behind the stuff I said about it being the best jacket ever. My bad guys I truly thought it was a Simms. CLOUDVEIL RULEZ!!!!!

snowhoe
07-07-2009, 13:31
hey sorry garlic it is the cloudveil 8x pro model.

Johnny Swank
07-07-2009, 14:20
Warm and wet - nothing, and I probably needed the shower in any case

Cool and wet - homemade silnylon rainjacket and possibly the homemade rain wrap (6 oz total). Usually my Seattle Sombrero if I expect it to rain for the weekend.

Cold and wet - Seattle Sombrero, Precip jkt, and silnylon rain pants.

Needless to say, I'm more concerned with saying warm than actually staying dry. I gave up that "stay dry" myth 25 years ago and haven't looked back.

Frosty
07-07-2009, 14:42
i just bought a packa. haven't tried it yet. work well for you?

Packas are great because they can be worn closed like a jacket, open like a poncho, or just as a cape, plus they keep your pack dry (and the shouklder straps which suck up water like sponges.

Even with a packa, though, if it is pouring rain on warm day and you are walking uphill, your will still be wet in your own sweat.

Deadeye
07-07-2009, 18:15
Garlic, You are right!! I went out and grabbed my rain jacket and was looking at the tags and stuff and sure enough it is a cloudveil not a simms. I bought this jacket about 3 years ago and until this morning I thought it was a Simms. So I retract all the stuff I said about Simms and put the cloudveil name in place of it. I still stand behind the stuff I said about it being the best jacket ever. My bad guys I truly thought it was a Simms. CLOUDVEIL RULEZ!!!!!

Not to worry... we weren't listening!:D

beakerman
07-07-2009, 18:44
Isn't a long distance hike inthe rain an opportunity to shower for free?

that's how I always viewed it.

snowhoe
07-07-2009, 18:48
Not to worry... we weren't listening!:D

HAHAHAHA............ Truth hurts !

Dogwood
07-07-2009, 19:39

There There Snowshow I'm listening. I'll look at the Simms rain jacket. Any special one? In my limited experience with Simms it sure does look like they make better quality outdoor equipment marketed at fly fisherman, but I'm also thinking their gear is not only pricey but also heavy. To be continued.

snowhoe
07-07-2009, 19:42
To be honest it is a little heavy, but I am a man and I can handle it. I dont mind a little extra weight if the product works like it is supposed too.

snowhoe
07-07-2009, 19:45
hey dogwood thanks for humoring me!

Downhill Trucker
07-08-2009, 03:30
If you are going to wear a W/B jacket, might I suggest the Cabelas Space Jacket. It's W/B, light, cheap, and it comes in camo! It has worked great for me. I still beleive in the poncho though. I have a OR Seattle Sombrero and it makes my head sweat too much.

And remember, the more you carry, the more you sweat.

trippclark
07-08-2009, 09:42
To be honest it is a little heavy, but I am a man and I can handle it. I dont mind a little extra weight if the product works like it is supposed too.

I had the same thought about the weight. Your post intrigued me and I looked up the jacket. It looks like a very nice jacket, but at 27 oz. it is more than I would carry backpacking (maybe fishing, yes). That is about the same weight as my rain jacket, rain pants, umbrella, and gaiters combined.

CowHead
07-08-2009, 09:59
I like my Frogg Toggs that I got from Bass Pro Shop their light and keeps you dry
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_91091_625011002_625000000_625011000?cmCat= CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Homer&Marje
07-08-2009, 10:59
I hope not to use them in the summer time but since I am going to the Whites and the weather on Franconia ridge can flip like a duck I'm putting the Frogg Toggs in the pack. I can deal with the extra lb hoping that I don't have to use it.

But if it's raining, 40 F and windy on any part of that ridge it could get cold quick. Was on Franconia ridge in August once and started in 80 F at Garfield and by the time we were on Little Haystack it was about 40 F and very windy with light rain. That's why I say my Toggs are more for cold weather, any hotter I just sweat.

I did take my Frogg Toggs with me to the Bretton Woods Canopy tour and it was 2 F when we started, 15 F when we returned and the only part of my body that was cold was my right toes:D