PDA

View Full Version : Bear activity in Smokies - closures and cautions

Lauriep
07-06-2009, 12:44
Attached is a poster with an updated summary of campsites and shelters sites in the Smokies that are closed due to bear activity. It comes from the Great Smokies National Park via ATC's Asheville, NC office. On the A.T., the sites includes the Russell Field Shelter.

The poster also includes sites where cautions have been issued. On the A.T., this includes:

Mollies Ridge Shelter
Double Spring Gap Shelter
Cosby Knob Shelter
Icewater Spring Shelter
Mt Collins Shelter
Pecks Corner Shelter
Tricorner Knob Shelter

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

MOWGLI
07-06-2009, 12:47
Thanks Laurie. Here is the poster as a PDF. Not everyone has MS Word.

double j
07-07-2009, 22:36
funny when i was there no bears to be seen lol

Ox97GaMe
07-08-2009, 11:36
Yes, Bears are more active this year than pst seasons. Bear warnings/closings are being updated every couple of days. If you are planning to hike in the park, please contact the park or visit the website to get latest status before heading out.

This is also making summer trail maintenance an issue in the park, especially the remote areas where overnight stay is required. If you are in the backcountry, you are likely to encounter areas where weed control has been hindered by bear warnings/closings. The SMHC and ATC SWEAT crews are working to keep the trails passable. The extra rain during May and June have contributed to a bumper crop of weeds. Plan to wear long pants in some of these areas to reduce exposure to ticks and other biting insects.

Chif
07-08-2009, 12:05
A bear crossed the trail in front of my daughter and I 6/24/09 just north of Fontana Dam where the paved trail ends at a small parking area. It was too fast to get a picture but a neat way to start our day. My daughter is a bear magnet, we saw 4 or 5 in SNP last May.

Just Plain Jim
07-08-2009, 17:11
I've hiked the AT for the past 7 years and all I've seen is some poop on the trail. I think that they're afraid of me. :-? Oh! I didn't even see the deer tick that attacked me in the SNP until he had me in his clutches. It was horriible. :eek:

Plodderman
07-08-2009, 18:43
Last few times I hiked in the Smokies it seems that bear activity has increased. A couple of years ago we did the AT in Smokies and our group saw eight bears.

beas
07-08-2009, 21:41
Last week I saw 2 bears in 2 seperate areas going to Gregory Bald. Next day saw one on Maddron Bald trail and one on the way out the third day on Snake Den trail. 4 bear in 3 days.
That is the first I have encontered on the trail.

Ox97GaMe
07-08-2009, 21:48
The rangers are saying that there are more bears in the park this year. They attribute it to the good production of nuts in the park last fall. Mother bears are having more cubs as a result. The bears are roaming outside their normal ranges looking for food. Until the wild berries start to ripen, the bear activity will remain higher than normal.

The good news is that the blackberries are starting to ripen at the lower elevations. Gooseberries and blueberries will start to ripen in the next few weeks. Use extra caution when stepping off the trail to grab a handful of the berries. You may not be the only creature out there looking for a tasty treat.

RAT
07-08-2009, 22:31
As I was told once by a park ranger: "Just bonk em in the nose,,,they hate that!"

lol (true story)

hikingshoes
07-08-2009, 23:33
I also seen a bear at the same place on 06/06/09,but i got a pic.:Dyeah it is a great way to start the day.
A bear crossed the trail in front of my daughter and I 6/24/09 just north of Fontana Dam where the paved trail ends at a small parking area. It was too fast to get a picture but a neat way to start our day. My daughter is a bear magnet, we saw 4 or 5 in SNP last May.

pyroman53
07-08-2009, 23:45
So waht does a person do who wants to hike the At and most of the shelter areas are closed due to bear activity? I plan to do GSMP next Fall and I'm starting to worry the bears may prevent this from happening.

Sleeps_With_Skunks
07-08-2009, 23:54

Probably the same bear that stood up and honked at me last summer about a mile up the same trail.

SWS