PDA

View Full Version : MontBell and kinobi

icemanat95
07-08-2004, 10:09
I was recently searching the web for the literal definition of the Japanese word "Kinobi" when I ran across something I had not expected to see, the MontBell USA website. MontBell was my outerwear maker of choice for my thru-hike in 1995. Back then, the North Face Mountainlight parka was considered a lightweight Goretex shell even though it weighed in at a very hefty 2.5 pounds or so. My MontBell Tempest parka weighed in at a comparitively svelte 21 ounces (*in XL). That Parka took the beating of daily wear on the AT, plus several winters of White Mountains winter hiking and climbing before finally succumbing to the wear and tear. I retired it VERY reluctantly and looked for a replacement. Unfortunately MontBell had vanished from the US market by that time and there was scant evidence of any likely return. I was very happy to find out that MontBell has opened a wholely owned subsidiary in the US and has been busy setting up relationships with US dealers (as well as opening their own stores).

I HIGHLY recommend MontBell gear, and one thing that particularly appealed to me was the fact that they sell Ti cookware of various sizes, not only in kits, but also as open stock. You can buy single pieces in very useful sizes for one or two people at quite reasonable prices.

Check out MontBell's website at : http://www.montbell.com/america/index.asp

Kinobi refers to the concept of beauty existing in perfect function. This concept has been the guiding principle of MontBell's outdoor products since 1975. I think they do VERY well.

nazdarovye
07-14-2004, 01:13
I have a down sleeping bag (picked up at REI on clearance for $54), a down vest (4.7 oz!), lightly insulated long wind pants, and a lightweight fleece top from Montbell. Love 'em all - definitely recommend the company.

Connie
07-25-2004, 12:21
I have the Mont Belle U.L. Down Inner Jacket, an ideal ultralight layer.

This is often the only jacket I wear: I like it in camp.

It keeps out wind, in windy conditions. It takes a sprinkle, mist, clouds.

I haven't had it out in a downpour. ;-)

I also wear it in town. It is also beautiful.

..ultralightweight