PDA

View Full Version : Olympus EP-1 dream camera for hikers finally?

Powder River
07-06-2009, 17:47
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/22390/olympus-ep1-pen/

Having just started paying more attention to the interwebs recently, I was thrilled to see that a portable, high quality interchangable lens camera is finally here. I currently carry a Canon G9, which is on the high end of things but is still severely limited by the fact that it has a sensor the size of a fingernail, and therefore is severely hampered by noise (like all compact cameras). Basically, I keep the iso setting at 200 or lower or I forget about getting the shot.

The Ep-1 is 11.8 ounces, plus 5.3 ounces for the kit lens (14-42mm) For comparison, the G9 is 11.3 ounces. The format is called micro four thirds, which is half the size of a full frame camera such as a Canon 5D. Very high quality, noise free pictures should be possible with this camera, and the reviews are starting to show positively in that respect. Just for the image quality alone I think this will be worth the upgrade. However, the camera is missing a viewfinder and a flash of any kind. I would much rather have a flash for casual pictures or fill light, rather than having no options at all. The viewfinder I can live without however.

The other exciting thing of course is the interchangable lens, and the infinite possibilities of what to carry. For something like a thruhike I would just carry the kit lens, but as this can take the full range of four thirds lenses with an adapter, it could be used for much more serious photography too.

I have seen and held this camera in shops a couple of times now, and it is definitely packable for hiking. I'm on the fence right now whether to spring the $800 or wait for next year's. There is also the Panasonic GH1, which is also micro four thirds but a little bulkier. It seems to have all the missing features but possibly misses the point because of its size.

Feral Bill
07-06-2009, 18:43
Add a couple more lenses and a reasonable price and I'm in.