PDA

View Full Version : New Pack

Codger
07-06-2009, 20:07
Wife and I section hiked Ga. middle of May. I was using an Osprey Atmos 50, weight avg. 30-35#, very uncomfortable. Looking at a Gregory Baltoro 70, pack feels great with the weight, but am concerned about the weight of the bag at 5lb 9oz. Any input would appreciated. Thanks

Summit
07-06-2009, 20:35
I've said before if I were in need of a replacement for my Gregory Whitney, the Baltoro would be my choice. More load bearing ability and comfort come at the price of a heavier pack. Some folks shoot for lighter loads and lighter packs, but I'm assuming you're set in what makes up your "kit," which is in the same weight range I'm at. I think you'd be pleased with the Baltoro, personally.

FamilyGuy
07-06-2009, 22:13
Who cares about the weight of the pack. If it fits comfortably and hauls all of your gear, then that is the pack you want. My opinion only, of course.

HikerRanky
07-06-2009, 23:09
I've got a ULA Catalyst...4600 cubic inches, and weighs in at 3lbs 15 oz.... I must say that it is the best backpack I've ever owned...

Randy

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2009, 00:32
I've got a ULA Catalyst...4600 cubic inches, and weighs in at 3lbs 15 oz.... I must say that it is the best backpack I've ever owned...

RandyH.R. how much did your pack cost?if you don't mind, thanks! i have a 2007-2008? ula catalyst p2 backpack. xtralarge new never used,i was thinking about selling. i use externals

HikerRanky
07-07-2009, 00:48
H.R. how much did your pack cost?if you don't mind, thanks! i have a 2007-2008? ula catalyst p2 backpack. xtralarge new never used,i was thinking about selling. i use externals

Well, it didn't cost me anything.... Some colleagues of mine got it for me for my 20 year anniversary at work.

That being said, with the options it has (hydration sleeve, trailname embroidery) it should have cost $255... take the trailname embroidery off, and it drops to $240.

Randy

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2009, 00:59
Well, it didn't cost me anything.... Some colleagues of mine got it for me for my 20 year anniversary at work.

That being said, with the options it has (hydration sleeve, trailname embroidery) it should have cost $255... take the trailname embroidery off, and it drops to $240.

Randythis one has the hydration sleeve,single stay and was given to me free.thanks again

mustangpwr98
07-07-2009, 07:15
The catylst would be a great choice. I have a circuit and it the most comfortable pack i have ever used.

mister krabs
07-07-2009, 08:52
I also think you'll be pleased with the baltoro. I still love my old Reality, as heavy as it is it rides like a cadillac. You can reduce the weight by almost a pound if you remove the lid and trim the straps.

Summit
07-07-2009, 12:44
I don't know if it will include the Gregory Baltoro 70, but REI lists a 7 Days of Deals on their Outlet site, and July 10th says "all Gregory!" :)

rpenczek
07-07-2009, 12:55
I changed from a Gregory Whitney to a GG Nimbus Meridian (saving 3lbs). I had GG add a belt from their Light series packs (excoskelton) so it (the belt) is a bit more firm.

My Gregory is definately like riding in a strech limo; however, the GG is just a very small step down, like riding in a town car (but at an almost 50% weight savings). Another pack to consider is the Deuter 65+10 lite series. Very good suspension and fairly light (compared to the Gregory).

buz
07-08-2009, 08:50
I too almost bought the baltoro because of the fit/feel, just great. But I didn't really need the size, and the weight difference swayed me. So did the fit of the Aether pack, which was very comparable to the Baltoro, and weighed 4#. Very hard to try on packs over the internet, lol, but weight is weight, and you can save over 1.5# by finding something similar in the high 3 pound range.

Homer&Marje
07-08-2009, 09:43
How did you get 35 lbs into an Atmos 50? I got the Atmos 65 over the winter and have been COMPLETELY satisfied with it in almost every way...the only complaint I would register is the water bladder compartment on the inside is NOT effective. It compresses the bladder when the rest of the bag is filled up and I'm afraid could pop a bladder...which would not be the best of days.

I am fully loaded right now for 6 days in the Whites and I don't have a scale but I would say 25-30lb is about what I'm registering. The wife is about 18 lbs and the brother in law is about 25 lbs...but 4 lbs of that is going to be his friggin Ipods and PSP stuff. 14. What can you do:D

Met a thru hiker in Connecticut that had to ditch his Gregory pack after 500 miles, said never would buy one again, his girlfriend Threshold was carrying the womens version of mine the Ariel 65 and she loved it.

pyroman53
07-08-2009, 10:45
Going to a pack in the 3lb range will save you close to 2 pounds or more. Those are the cheapest and easiest 2 pounds you'll ever cut from your kit. People (inlcuding myself) spend hundreds of dollars to cut a pound from their sleeping bag and then waste pounds on a pack. If you can find one lighter that will do the job, consider it. I love my Gregory, but it hangs on the wall while I carry my GG Nimbus Ozone and save almost 3 pounds. Like I said - the easiest and cheapest 3 pounds I cut from my kit, with little loss in comfort on my back and big time improvement on the legs and knees.

Jack Tarlin
07-08-2009, 12:02
I've worn Ospreys for years, but I think the Baltoro is a GREAT pack, assuming of course that you want or need something that big.

Going to a pack in the 3lb range will indeed save you the better part of 2 pounds.....but if it doesn't hold all your stuff, or if you have to put a third of your stuff outside the pack, what's the point?

Ultimately, you should decide what's important for you to carry, and then make your decision based on how your stuff packs and how it feels once it's on your back. Saving a pound or two on the empty weight of your backpack will mean nothing if you're not happy with how your pack holds its load and travels once you're out there.

Buy and wear what feels right for YOU.

P.S. As a rule, it's a major mistake to buy a pack on the Internet or anywhere else unless you know for sure it's the right model and size, i.e., make sure to get profesionally measured and fitted by someone who knows what they're doing before you make your final decision. The best place to do this is at a smaller, independently owned and operated full-service outfitter shop.

Summit
07-08-2009, 12:32
I sure like the sound of a 3# pack, but when I look at what you get with one . . . like I like organized living! :D Give me a lid. Give me a sleeping bag compartment. Give me a couple of side pockets. Give me multiple access points to the main compartment. Guess I gotta live with a couple more lbs for those! :)

Before someone suggests a single compartment using sylnylon bags for organizing. I use those too already, even with the other aforementioned compartments! :)

Homer&Marje
07-08-2009, 12:53
I sure like the sound of a 3# pack, but when I look at what you get with one . . . like I like organized living! :D Give me a lid. Give me a sleeping bag compartment. Give me a couple of side pockets. Give me multiple access points to the main compartment. Guess I gotta live with a couple more lbs for those! :)

Before someone suggests a single compartment using sylnylon bags for organizing. I use those too already, even with the other aforementioned compartments! :)

Osprey Atmos 65 has a separated sleeping bag compartment, although it is removable so you don't have to use it and you can segregate a lot of little things you want dry and warm into the water bladder system on the inside, use the very back pocket for your water bladder (if you carry one)...

Also has two side pockets for large water bottles or whatever, and two mesh pockets that zipper on the waist band. There are also large oval zipper pockets on the back that can cram full of socks, clothes, fuel bottles, filter, med kit...whatever you want. And it has a top compartment hood to the pack, all for under 4 lbs.

It does take a few times to get the organization right but after that it's a huge pack for it's weight....4000 cubic inches packed to the gills, have not done that yet even set up for over a week.

Feral Bill
07-08-2009, 13:36
FIT IS EVERYTHING! A pack that is fabulous for someone else is useless if it doesn't fit you.

Get to a dealer with a large selection and a liberal return policy. Try on all the packs you might like, with a full load in them. Walk around the store for long enough to be pretty certain that you like whichever pack. Buy it, try it for a long weekend or so, and return in if it doesn't fit. Repeat as needed. Enjoy the results for years and years.

FB

Codger
07-08-2009, 15:45
The straps and hip belt on the Atmos are to thin and will not carry the weight, the 30 -35# turns closer to 40# with a wet tent and clothes. The aether is a great bag with a good weight, but limited pockets and no ouside access, if they would put a couple of zipper pockets on the ouside would really help.

Homer&Marje
07-08-2009, 18:33
The straps and hip belt on the Atmos are to thin and will not carry the weight, the 30 -35# turns closer to 40# with a wet tent and clothes. The aether is a great bag with a good weight, but limited pockets and no ouside access, if they would put a couple of zipper pockets on the ouside would really help.

I disagree... I am 6' currently around 215 lbs and the thin straps of the Atmos are a life saver to me. I have never found a more comfortable pack IMO.

Again, as posted before, it's up to fit and if it fits perfect then it's perfect at any weight.

For weekend trips my weight is about 21 lbs, for the week I'm up about 25-30 and EASILY comfortable.

SloHiker
07-09-2009, 10:44
Wife and I section hiked Ga. middle of May. I was using an Osprey Atmos 50, weight avg. 30-35#, very uncomfortable. Looking at a Gregory Baltoro 70, pack feels great with the weight, but am concerned about the weight of the bag at 5lb 9oz. Any input would appreciated. Thanks

I don't think 2 more pounds (6% of your total pack weight) is going to matter if you like the way it carries.

Gear To Go Outfitter
07-09-2009, 11:43
My company rents the Baltoro 70 so you can check it out before you buy it. If you then decided to buy from us within 30 days of your rental, 50% of your rental fee goes towards the purchase of a new pack. If you are outside of our delivery area we will ship to you and your rental periord doesn't begin until you recieve your pack, and ends once you deliver the gear to UPS. (www.geartogooutfitters.com (http://www.geartogooutfitters.com))

Codger
07-09-2009, 13:32
Great reply, just answer my question. Baltoro 70---- Thanks

Yukon
07-09-2009, 14:53
Baltoro 70 all the way, it's a cadillac :)

Summit
07-10-2009, 20:34
I ventured over to REI today and looked closely at the Baltoro, the Osprey line, and the Go Lite, and I will say hands down that Gregory makes a superior quality backpack (REI doesn't carry ULA, so couldn't compare their products). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference in quality of construction. If that comes with a little more weight, I'll take it any day.

skinewmexico
07-13-2009, 00:57
Sold my Exos 58 to buy a couple of ULAs, great decision on my part. Still like my Golite Jam2 for overnights. But if you're all hung up on having pockets and compartments, stick with the Baltoro. Fit is king.

MedicineMan
07-13-2009, 03:00
say you weigh 200 pounds....a 5 pound backpack is 2.5% of your weight.
If the 5 pound backpack has 40 pounds in it---tot. 45 pounds that is
22.5% of your weight.
Now compare to a backpack that weighs 2 pounds:
1% of your weight compared to 2.5% so no big deal
but what if you only put 20 pounds in the pack and not 40:
25 pounds total=12.5% of your weight.....

The numbers show me that it's really not the weight of the backpack but the weight of what you put in it....Most of us who have gone the gamut of heavy packs to ultralightweight sacs have gravitated to somewhere in the middle pack weight wise but more importantly most of us have gravitated to carrying what we really need.