PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut terrain

2XL
07-08-2004, 14:43
How does the terrain in CT. compare to other states?

2XL

Tramper Al
07-08-2004, 14:56
How does the terrain in CT. compare to other states?
I can only compare CT to the other New England States. It is definitely most like Massachusetts, with the hills comparable to the lesser MA ones. The Housatonic River walk is the flattest section of AT I have encountered anywhere.

SavageLlama
07-08-2004, 15:51
Don't let one of the AT's flattest sections (Housatonic River Walk) fool you - the rest of CT is a lot of up and down, with some steep sections. It's no White Mtns, but most of the trail in CT will keep you huffing and puffing.

Tin Man
07-08-2004, 17:24
Don't let one of the AT's flattest sections (Housatonic River Walk) fool you - the rest of CT is a lot of up and down, with some steep sections. It's no White Mtns, but most of the trail in CT will keep you huffing and puffing.

Yes, but these are foothills compared to Greylock in MA. and the Green Mtns. of VT., not to mention the Whites and Maine. There are many great views from the CT. hills. Enjoy!

2XL
07-08-2004, 19:27
I have done the CT section twice, and some sections of it 4-5 times already.
I guess what I really want to know is if I do fifteen miles a day in CT, with that terrain.
Can I expect to keep that rate of travel in other states?
Yes, I know most people do longer miles than this , but this is a good pace for me. I am just trying to get an idea to schedule section hikes.

2XL

SavageLlama
07-08-2004, 19:56
I guess what I really want to know is if I do fifteen miles a day in CT, with that terrain. Can I expect to keep that rate of travel in other states?

Doing 15 miles in CT is pretty much like doing 15 miles in any other state.

tribes
07-08-2004, 20:11
I hiked the Connecticut section twice last summer and both times it took me two and half days to get to Sage's ravine (50 something miles) 15 miles days should be no problem if you are in decent shape and put in your hours. There are some flat sections on the river walk sections but the rest of Connecticut has some good ups and downs.

Tramper Al
07-09-2004, 08:17
I guess what I really want to know is if I do fifteen miles a day in CT, with that terrain. Can I expect to keep that rate of travel in other states?
I have section hiked from the CT/NY border up through the first 100 miles into Maine, and I have paid some attention to the effort required to do so.

I would say that the effort required to hike 15 miles in CT (on average) is equivalent to that required to hike (on average):

14 miles in MA
13 miles in VT
14 miles in NH (before the Whites)
9 miles in NH (in the Whites)
11 miles in Western Maine (first 100 miles)

Just my opinion.