PDA

View Full Version : I have 9 months to get in SHAPE!

MtnRider1981
07-06-2009, 23:22
After spending hours reading from the experienced hikers who have thru'ed, I have gathered that a primary form of conditioning would be hiking with a pack and trail running. A secondary conditioning may be improving upperbody strength, ie back and shoulders. Is this reasonable? A few more tips from experienced long-haulers would be great!

My status today: 28 years old, male, 215 lbs, 6'2"

I am interested in staying in touch via internet/phone with an experienced hiker to mentor my progress. If you are genuinely interested include that as well.

Thanks!

John Cherry
Nashville, TN

Tinker
07-06-2009, 23:28
Just put on a pack and walk. That's what you'll be doing on the trail. Find some nice hills or climb stairs in a skyscraper if you're stuck in the city. Gym workouts probably won't strengthen your joints (especially your ankles) the way that walking on uneven ground will. It won't hurt, though. If old farts like me can go for a week plus walk with 30+ pounds on their backs fresh out of the work-a-day world, so can you. Just start off your thru slowly and you'll be fine.
Ps. If you find someone who says he's a "guru" or "legend" run as fast as you can in the opposite direction. :D

Blissful
07-06-2009, 23:29
Your best way to condition is to go hike long distance.
And you've got youth on your side.

My son was a couch potato and overweight at 220. He did no conditioning and did the whole trail.

The major exercise people need to do is mental. It's all mental.

MtnRider1981
07-06-2009, 23:36
Thank you. I appreciate the comment about strengthening joints on uneven terrain. Its easy to see how missing out on that type of exposure during conditioning could cause problems very quickly on the AT.

MtnRider1981
07-06-2009, 23:48
Your best way to condition is to go hike long distance.
And you've got youth on your side.

My son was a couch potato and overweight at 220. He did no conditioning and did the whole trail.

The major exercise people need to do is mental. It's all mental.

Sounds good, thanks

el.com
07-07-2009, 02:52
I've thought about this, too. I plan to thru-hike next year and wondered how to get in shape and all... My mom had a good idea about this: go swim a few laps 3 times per week. It's good for your muscles AND your stamina.

stranger
07-07-2009, 04:22
The only real way to get in shape for long distance hiking is to put on a pack and go hiking on uneven terrain. Alot of people go to the gym and stuff like that but that's a poor substitute in my view.

When training, I usually like to hike about 3 miles per day, about 4 days per week, with about 25lbs on my back. If I don't have a trail close by (like now for instance) I try to hike on both weekend days and then hit the stairs with my pack during the week.

At the moment I'm hiking every weekend, anywhere from 4-6 miles per day, then walking 1000 stairs (500 up, 500 down) two days during the week, combined with running at times. I'm just doing this to get into shape for my hike starting in September.

Last year, I prepared for about 8 weeks before heading to Springer by hiking a 3.6 mile loop trail 3-4 days per week with about 30lbs. It was a fairly uneven trail in most places and involved a steep 700 ft climb up a waterfall.

You don't "need" to prepare physically, but it's nice to be able to start out doing what you want to do, instead of taking 3-4 days just to get to Neels Gap. Hiking is more fun when you are not gasping for air and doing 8 mile days in my experience.

If you train hard, you can get fit in 6-8 weeks, but you need to be disciplined.

Egads
07-07-2009, 06:18
Practice the same way you plan to perform. Applies to music, sports, & just about everything you do.

So, if you plan to hike 15 miles per day with a 30 lb pack at 2.5 mph; take 15 mpd weekend hikes with a 30 lb pack at 2.5 mph.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
07-07-2009, 06:24
After spending hours reading from the experienced hikers who have thru'ed, I have gathered that a primary form of conditioning would be hiking with a pack and trail running. A secondary conditioning may be improving upperbody strength, ie back and shoulders. Is this reasonable? A few more tips from experienced long-haulers would be great!

My status today: 28 years old, male, 215 lbs, 6'2"

I am interested in staying in touch via internet/phone with an experienced hiker to mentor my progress. If you are genuinely interested include that as well.

Thanks!

John Cherry
Nashville, TN

i was 28 when i first thru-hiked. all i did was run 4-5 miles, 5-6 days a week for 6 months before i hit the trail. you don't need to do "practice hikes" and the like. i flew up the trail with a 40 lb.+ pack

Plodderman
07-07-2009, 09:51
For me the best way to get in shape is to walk long distances. I usually hike two or three times a week of four to five miles which includes hills on almost every hike. The steepest I can find and on weekends doing some 12 to 16 miles days. I would make a suggestion of logging long distances on back to back days as it can be very helpful in preparing for the trail.

There is know way to tell how your feet and knees are going to respond without regularly doing long distances. I will make a general statement in that most of the thru hikers I know and those who hike with me every year stay in shape by hiking.

Good luck.

jersey joe
07-07-2009, 10:30
i was 28 when i first thru-hiked. all i did was run 4-5 miles, 5-6 days a week for 6 months before i hit the trail. you don't need to do "practice hikes" and the like. i flew up the trail with a 40 lb.+ pack
I agree. Your time would be well spent going on runs and doing other cardio to get yourself into shape.

fiddlehead
07-07-2009, 12:47
"Step machine" at a gym if you can't get to the trail.

Mags
07-07-2009, 13:35
There are many options on the 'best' way to get in shape for a hike.

Having said that, I don't buy this "drink beer, eat potato chips and go hiking" school of thought.

I have yet to get a good reason why it makes sense to NOT exercise regularly? Some basic level of fitness will make the initial weeks of your hike more enjoyable...and will make your off-trail life much more fun, too.

As Stranger aptly said

You don't "need" to prepare physically, but it's nice to be able to start out doing what you want to do, instead of taking 3-4 days just to get to Neels Gap. Hiking is more fun when you are not gasping for air and doing 8 mile days in my experience.

Or just order pizza, get fat and write on the internet how you don't need to exercise. It's easier and seems to be the way of most people. ;)

This article is well written and should be instructive if you don't buy the the "You don't need to exercise" crap:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

fredmugs
07-07-2009, 13:43
You need to do something but do something you enjoy. Running is painful to me so I don't do it. I never "practice" with a pack. I section hike and my training consists of 45 - 60 minute rides on an exercise bike. I typically do this with some hardcore metal blasting in my ears and some sporting event muted on a TV.

I may do one 12 - 14 mile non-AT hike a month. When I section hike I do 20+ mile days with a 30 - 35 lb pack.

I would use this forum more to focus on what (and what not) to stick in your pack. At least a month or so before you start you should be eating similar to the types of foods you intend to eat on the trail. Your body typically doesn't like radical changes in fat or carb level consumptions. If you're interested in staying in shape don't scarf down a half gallon of ice cream at every trail town you get to either.

At your age and physical size you'll do fine.

Red Beard
07-07-2009, 13:44

I've been doing some day hikes at Stone Mountain, NC for about a month now. I run during the week, and hike on the weekend. It's surprising how much easier the hiking gets as I increase the distance I'm running. I ran 2 miles in under 20 minutes, for the first time in 15 years yesterday. Hopefully, I'll be up to 4 miles/day by March. :banana

MtnRider1981
07-07-2009, 16:59
There are many options on the 'best' way to get in shape for a hike.

Having said that, I don't buy this "drink beer, eat potato chips and go hiking" school of thought.

I have yet to get a good reason why it makes sense to NOT exercise regularly? Some basic level of fitness will make the initial weeks of your hike more enjoyable...and will make your off-trail life much more fun, too.

As Stranger aptly said

Or just order pizza, get fat and write on the internet how you don't need to exercise. It's easier and seems to be the way of most people. ;)

This article is well written and should be instructive if you don't buy the the "You don't need to exercise" crap:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

I agree, and infact I want to train. If I am not fit for the thru hike I won't make it. If my joints and feet are not hardened I won't make it. Today I hiked six miles in a park on a moderate trail. I already have a blister.

Deadeye
07-07-2009, 18:09
Plenty will say hiking is the best way to get in shape for the trail, and that's great if you're somewhere that you can hike every weekend. Hike if you can, otherwise running and strength training will help. Try Crossfit (crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com)) or P90x or Body for Life if you really want to prime the body. Otherwise, you're young, just start slow if you need to. 9 months is more than enough time to get into great shape, and the better shape you're in at the start, the easier the mental part will be, too.

take-a-knee
07-07-2009, 21:17
Plenty will say hiking is the best way to get in shape for the trail, and that's great if you're somewhere that you can hike every weekend. Hike if you can, otherwise running and strength training will help. Try Crossfit (crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com)) or P90x or Body for Life if you really want to prime the body. Otherwise, you're young, just start slow if you need to. 9 months is more than enough time to get into great shape, and the better shape you're in at the start, the easier the mental part will be, too.

The best advice yet in this thread. Five mile runs are about worthless, unless you are training for five mile runs. Any exercise is better than no exercise, but Crossfit is smart excercise.

FishBone
07-08-2009, 08:26
1. hike Radnor Lake and/or Warner Park trails 3-5x/week with increasing distances and pack weight; hit the gym 2x/wk. stressing multi-reps, not weight, to increase endurance.
2. get your base weight at/below 20 lbs
3. go on a few "shake-down" weekend trips to South Cumberland, North Fork, etc. to become comfortable with your equipment in different weather conditions.
4. learn all you can about shoe sizing, foot care, and blister prevention; your feet will thank you!
5. remember: it's the journey, not the destination! (although reaching the destination can be VERY satisfying!)

PM me if you want to chat more; I'm in Nashville and would be happy to show you what I learned in 5 years of section hiking.

MtnRider1981
07-08-2009, 16:34
1. hike Radnor Lake and/or Warner Park trails 3-5x/week with increasing distances and pack weight; hit the gym 2x/wk. stressing multi-reps, not weight, to increase endurance.
2. get your base weight at/below 20 lbs
3. go on a few "shake-down" weekend trips to South Cumberland, North Fork, etc. to become comfortable with your equipment in different weather conditions.
4. learn all you can about shoe sizing, foot care, and blister prevention; your feet will thank you!
5. remember: it's the journey, not the destination! (although reaching the destination can be VERY satisfying!)

PM me if you want to chat more; I'm in Nashville and would be happy to show you what I learned in 5 years of section hiking.

Very good thanks. I've been to Percy & Edwin this week, Radnor soon. What is base weight?

beakerman
07-08-2009, 17:39
I'm sorry i know you're talking about getting in shape to do the trail but I jsut can't help thinking you managed to get a young lady "embarrassed" and have only 9 months if you follow my drift....

FishBone
07-08-2009, 19:09
base weight = everything you're carrying EXCEPT clothing/accessories that you're wearing (sunglasses, poles, etc.) and consumables (fuel, food, water)

stranger
07-12-2009, 03:44
Last year I left Springer on 9 April, I started my training about 2 months prior. All I did was hike a fairly difficult 3.6 mile loop trail near my house, around 3-4 times per week. I had about a 30lb pack, and I tried to hike the trail in 65 minutes or less.

I did this for about 7-8 weeks, nothing else. I then took about a week off cause I was on the road (I live overseas) and did a couple more day hikes when I arrived at my folks house in NY.

My shortest "normal" day on the trail last year was 15 miles, the only time I hiked less than that distance was when I went into town. I met people at Neels Gap who started 4 days before me and met hikers in Hiawassee who started 10-11 days before me, and they didn't seem overly positive people by the time I met them.

Almost all of those hikers started the trail with little to no experience, heavy packs, and out of shape, and they looked like hell before they got out of Georgia.

Why? What's the point?

Egads
07-12-2009, 06:51
9 months is enough time to grow a baby; should be no problem getting into shape

MtnRider1981
07-12-2009, 08:20
Last year I left Springer on 9 April, I started my training about 2 months prior. All I did was hike a fairly difficult 3.6 mile loop trail near my house, around 3-4 times per week. I had about a 30lb pack, and I tried to hike the trail in 65 minutes or less.

I did this for about 7-8 weeks, nothing else. I then took about a week off cause I was on the road (I live overseas) and did a couple more day hikes when I arrived at my folks house in NY.

My shortest "normal" day on the trail last year was 15 miles, the only time I hiked less than that distance was when I went into town. I met people at Neels Gap who started 4 days before me and met hikers in Hiawassee who started 10-11 days before me, and they didn't seem overly positive people by the time I met them.

Almost all of those hikers started the trail with little to no experience, heavy packs, and out of shape, and they looked like hell before they got out of Georgia.

Why? What's the point?

How long were you on the trail?

BobTheBuilder
07-12-2009, 09:34
I've done several 6-7 day section hikes, and I've learned there are three things I need to get in shape - knees, calves, and feet. Going up stairs and doing deep knee bends helps the knees, going DOWN stairs helps the calves, and just staying on my feet several hours per day helps get them ready.

I'm no guru, but since you asked, there it is.

Flinx
07-12-2009, 19:43
I did a round of P90X...you see this exercise program on infomercials...it is an outstanding all around fitness program...the first 2 sections hikes i did, i was in fair shape( a little overweight) and still had a good time but was mighty sore every morning...the last hike i did after getting into good shape and losing 25 lbs (most important IMO) I had a much more enjoyable time...could ease right up to the top of each mountain an ejoy the views without gasping for air and recovering :o....being in decent shape before you go definitely makes the whole trip more pleasurable...but it is not required. :)

SassyWindsor
07-12-2009, 19:59
Start out by doing as long a day hike, with as many hills, as you can. Checking out the footwear, etc. Carry only a day pack with essentials. Have a plan in case of blisters, emergency, etc. Once you are comfortable with this kind of hike, then start with the backpack, adding weight as you get conditioned. Then start doing overnighters to check out the gear, etc. It takes a little dedication and mindset to get it right and even more to complete 2000+ miles.

stranger
07-12-2009, 23:24
I hiked to Atkins last year, about 535 miles.