PDA

View Full Version : Nerves, anyone?

mindi
07-07-2009, 07:25
I can't believe this time next week I'm going to be climbing Katahdin..I'm kind of freaking out! I still have to get my food around. I'm planning on stopping at White House Landing so I assume 5 days will be sufficient even if I'm moving at a snail's pace?

Soooo nervous.

Sugargrits

boarstone
07-07-2009, 07:53
Be prepared for bugs and lots of wet, mud, water...we're drowning up here.( 100 mile wilderness) It'll be a slow slog. Check the weather at the rangers station just before leaving the park for the "wilderness". Rain=high water and there will be 3 crossings that will cause concern, safety, with high water. Have a good trip

mindi
07-07-2009, 08:04
Yeah, I've been hearing all about how wet it's been up there this year. The mud and bugs I can handle (though I'm sure it won't be fun) but the fords concern me.

I'm debating how long it's going to take me to get to WHL and then how long from there to Monson so I can figure out my meals. I have a feeling it's going to take twice as long as it takes everyone else and I'm going to be all weighted down with extra food. Then again, I'm not usually hungry the first week or so, so maybe if I run low it won't be a big deal.

Ugh. I just want to get out there..the last week always turns me into a nervous wreck.

MOWGLI
07-07-2009, 08:09
Embrace the beauty. Be one with the rain. The days are still long, so you have plenty of time to hike all day. You've been out there before. You know what to expect. Have fun.

StarLyte
07-07-2009, 08:18
Well said Mowgli.

I'm so excited for you! :sun

Jim Adams
07-07-2009, 15:25
You go girl! You'll be fine...wish I was go'in with ya. You already know what to do, now just enjoy the new scenery. Let me know if ya need anything.

geek

mindi
07-07-2009, 15:56
Thanks Geek!

Wish you were going to be at the top waiting for me like you were on Springer! :D..I might have to take up a teeny bottle of something and think of you at the summit.

Maybe I'll see you later on down the trail!

:) Sugargrits