PDA

View Full Version : Pack ???

fatmatt
07-08-2004, 16:27
I am planning to section hike the trail over a period of about 5 years, each hike being around a month, any suggestions on a good pack for this?

SGT Rock
07-08-2004, 16:35
What are you carrying?

wacocelt
07-08-2004, 16:36
Your pack choice is going to seriously depend upon several factors...
pack weight, body type, season and personal preference.

I've hiked several hundred miles with a very old external frame pack <so old the name brand was worn off> carrying about 60lbs and had a blast with it, I've also gone very light, down to 20lbs wet wgt and used a GoLite and enjoyed that as well. Check out Sgt Rock's website, he does some great gear reviews and gives solid, sound advice on gear choices. Be well and happy hiking.

Edit:: See, the rock will set ya straight! :)

fatmatt
07-08-2004, 16:42
Hikes will most likley be in the summer time, I weigh 150 and am about 5'11" my preferred pack weight is under 50 lbs

SGT Rock
07-08-2004, 17:14
My suggestion with packs would be for something less than 50 pounds of gear.

fatmatt
07-08-2004, 17:17
approx. how many cubic inches?

SGT Rock
07-08-2004, 17:40
Check it out, it goes from very small to very big, can carry up to 50 pounds well, and weighs next to nothing. You will just have to adjust how you pack and think about packs: http://hikinghq.net/gear/moonbow_gearskin.html

fatmatt
07-08-2004, 19:06
thanks! i am new to this if you can tell. i spent a week on the trail with a buddy of mine, but the pack was not mine, and it is out of make.

willyhort0w2
07-14-2004, 22:23
I recently was in damascus, VA and picked up a new ULA P-2 pack and I love it. It is simple to opperate and very lightweight( a little over 2 lbs). I fell in love with the twin hip belt pockets( snickers bars in one camera in the other). any quesations on this pack write me back or check it out on your own. you can custom order it from the ULA equipment web site.

neo
07-14-2004, 22:40
i have sectioned hiked the AT from springer in ga.to dalton mass.in the last three year,my last hike i used an equinox katahdin,love this pack,have logged
more miles before with my golite gust,i prefer the equinox,about $105.00 dollar pack,got mine on sale for $80.00.my first hike was the ga section may 2001 with an alice combat pack 60 lbs,sure slowed me down lol

neo
07-14-2004, 22:42
i have sectioned hiked the AT from springer in ga.to dalton mass.in the last three year,my last hike i used an equinox katahdin,love this pack,have logged
more miles before with my golite gust,i prefer the equinox,about $105.00 dollar pack,got mine on sale for $80.00

bailcor
07-14-2004, 22:57
If you are new to hiking, I would suggest that before you go any where near a store, you read a bit about it. Lighter is better and take it from someone who knows, 25 lbs is a lot better that 50 lbs. Invest in a book by "Ray Jardine" entitled "Beyond Backpacking", and remember that this is the extreme, but it gets you thinking in the right direction. Read the forums on this site concerning light backpacking before you start to buy your gear. You will find it will save you money in the end and you want be stuck with getting rid of a lot of useless gear later.

Mr. Clean
07-15-2004, 08:09
Whichever pack you decide to get, try many of them on after doing some research as to which fit your style.
Do you need outside pockets?
How much will you be carrying?
Try them with weight in them and try several out. Everyone is different and your needs will not be the same as others. See what others are using and go from there. I have a Gregory Forrester (I can't believe the meduim is what fits me) for 30 pounds of gear and love it. Others may hate the Forrester.