PDA

View Full Version : Extra water-proofing for my tent?

ShelterLeopard
07-07-2009, 13:42
Hey- I was just wondering if I can kind of "super waterproof" my tent. I've heard that you can buy an aerosol can of waterproofing material at camping stores and just spray it on your rainfly, and it'll make the rain roll right off. Has anyone tried this? And what do you all think of seam sealer?

My tent is in general very waterproof- I have never gotten wet, because there is no place where my rainfly touches the tent, but the underside of the fly is always a bit damp.

(Also, my family has a three person tent that is far from waterproof- the sides get everything wet)

Two Speed
07-07-2009, 13:52
Aside from seam sealing any tent that hasn't been heavily used and is less than 5 years old that needs additional "super waterproofing" should be returned to the manufacturer as defective.

ShelterLeopard
07-07-2009, 13:54
It isn't like it leaks, just that the underside of the fly gets damp.

Two Speed
07-07-2009, 13:57
That's condensation, and extra seam sealing and water proofing won't make that any better or worse.

Feral Bill
07-07-2009, 13:59
It isn't like it leaks, just that the underside of the fly gets damp.

That's condensation. No cure. No problem either.

Skyline
07-07-2009, 14:06
Ain't broke, don't fix.

Manwich
07-07-2009, 14:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0noGH8xsR8

It too is called Condensation.

drastic_quench
07-07-2009, 14:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0noGH8xsR8

It too is called Condensation.
My mind went there too!

ShelterLeopard
07-07-2009, 17:15
Good, thanks- I wasn't sure if it was condensation, or if the water was somehow being absorbed into the material.

Franco
07-07-2009, 20:04
To minimise condensation you need to increase ventilation, air flow.
So depending on the tent design , you may be able to stake the fly out a bit to create a bigger gap under it, leave all or part of the door open, make sure that the top vents (if any) are well open.
You may find that a slightly cooler but dryer environment is more comfortable and my feel "warmer".
Franco

ShelterLeopard
07-08-2009, 00:31
I always thought it was well ventilated enough, but the only ventilation comes from close to the ground, and I do try to make the fly very tight, and the tighter it is, the less space for air- so you're probably right Franco- I'll try increasing the ventilation.