PDA

View Full Version : Ahh yes... another blister..

MtnRider1981
07-07-2009, 17:18
Today I did a six mile training hike and developed a blister between my toes. I didn't realize how large it was until I removed my shoes - it didn't hurt much at all during the hike. I wore well-fitted Merrell shoes. What preventative measures can be used to lessen the chances of blisters? I have just begun training for my thru hike in 8 months.

ChinMusic
07-07-2009, 17:30
If it is a toe that gives you similar problems in the future, try taping the toe with 1/2-inch waterproof white athletic tape before you start. Duct tape is only OK for the big toe for me. The white tape will stay on for several days without issue.

Short of that try some Body Glide in the area to see if that prevents.
I really like the product Hydropel (like Body Glide on steroids) but that stuff is kinda expense.

Taking a boot/sock off break every few hours until you learn your own feet will help them cool down and air out.

Listen to your feet. Blisters happen.

MOWGLI
07-07-2009, 17:33
Do you wear liner socks? They used to cause blisters for me. I no longer wear them. Blisters can be caused by excessive moisture.

beakerman
07-07-2009, 17:34
between the toes? the last time i got blisters between my toes was bacause the toe box was too tight. Perhaps your well-fitted shoes aren't all that well fitted after all. i got around it by getting my boots good an wet (from the inside then wore them until they wre dry. It was absolutely miserable wearing wet boots but when they dried they had stretched out enough that the blister problem disappeared.

Basically i broke them in the hard and fast way. i would not recommend it to anyone though. IF you paid extra for "proper" fitting shoes then i would take them back and complain. Perhaps they can put them on the stretcher for you to give you some room.

WalkingStick75
07-07-2009, 17:37
Are you sure you have the width right? Also, remember your feet will swell up to a half size. Even with that I usually carry a light pair of socks just in case my toes start to feel the squeeze.

ChinMusic
07-07-2009, 17:38
between the toes? the last time i got blisters between my toes was bacause the toe box was too tight. Perhaps your well-fitted shoes aren't all that well fitted after all.
I personally have ONE toe that gets a blister no matter what shoes/boots I wear and it is always the same toe. I have to tape that sucker up for anything over 7 miles. So, no, it could still be a well-fitted shoe. Anatomy plays a large part.

beakerman
07-07-2009, 17:46
I personally have ONE toe that gets a blister no matter what shoes/boots I wear and it is always the same toe. I have to tape that sucker up for anything over 5 miles. So, no, it could still be a well-fitted shoe. Anatomy plays a large part.

Didn't say it wasn't "goofy" feet/toes (no offfence intended) I said the only time I got toe blisters...YMMV.

True the anatomy of the foot does play into it but not all blisters are due to an oddly shaped or aligned toe. Sometimes the guy fitting the shoe doesn't have a clue what he is doing and you get squeezed in just the wrong way.

sly dog
07-07-2009, 18:10
I feel your pain. On my last hike after a several days my little toe blistered to the point where all the skin fell off, it looked like a little red jolly rancher. I wrapped it but it still happened and only on my right foot. After it happened I kept my feet dry with gold bond and kept wrapping it with ointment covered band aids then duct tape over it and it ended up healing about 10 days into the hike. At night i placed one of those foam earplugs between the 2 toes so it could get fresh air all around it and i think that sped up the healing process.

fiddlehead
07-07-2009, 18:13
Sounds like you need bigger shoes.
Also, if you want preventive measures, walk barefoot as much as you can when not hiking. Especially in sand. It toughens the skin of your feet.

HIPOCKETS
07-07-2009, 18:35
I had problems with blisters between the toes but now in preparation for a hike I rub the sides of my toes several times a day go for a week or two before the hike. The skin is very thin on the sides of my toes but the daily rub helps and I have not had a blister since!. I use duct tape on the toes after the blister appear. Tape works great if your toes are dry and will stay dry. I had not luck will tape on wet feet.

Many Walks
07-07-2009, 18:47
I didn't see which toes, but if you have two that are constantly rubbing or trying to overlap there is a product at the Walmart pharmacy called Visco-Gel toe spacers. They are soft, comfortable, and keep problem toes separated to avoid injury. I believe they work better on the larger toes than the smaller ones. Good luck.

JJJ
07-07-2009, 20:03
Injinji socks might do the trick if shoe size is not the issue and you continue to experience the problem.

bigcranky
07-07-2009, 20:26
I personally have ONE toe that gets a blister no matter what shoes/boots I wear and it is always the same toe. I have to tape that sucker up for anything over 7 miles. So, no, it could still be a well-fitted shoe. Anatomy plays a large part.

I gotta agree with ChinMusic. I have one toe that gets a blister rolling under another toe, no matter what I am wearing. Just the way it is. The small size Bandaid Blister pads work well.

MtnRider1981
07-07-2009, 23:38
Also, if you want preventive measures, walk barefoot as much as you can when not hiking. Especially in sand. It toughens the skin of your feet.

Good, practical advice. Thank you.

ChinMusic
07-07-2009, 23:45
Beach bum..........:D

Folks, this man knows his sand.

buzzamania
07-08-2009, 00:10
Injinji socks might do the trick if shoe size is not the issue and you continue to experience the problem.
I am a firm believer in Injinji's. I have hammertoe on both 2nd toes and the injinji's saved my bacon during my 62 mile section in June. I wore a pair of these as my liner and then a pair of smartwool socks.

I think moleskin cut into strips is the best way to go with any and all blisters.

I will also second the notion that stopping every 2-3 hours to change your outer pair of socks for a pair that have been venting while attached to your pack for the prior 2-3 hours is a huge help. Give your feet time to cool and dry and reapply generous foot powder and they'll be happy.

By the way don't buy boots online. My most recent pair were slightly narrow in the toe box and when I got to neels gap the guy at Mountain Crossings looked at my boots and said, "your feet are too wide for those boots." He was right. If it hadn't been for sox and the above described rituals I probably wouldn't have been able to do 14 miles on day 5.

fiddlehead
07-08-2009, 06:04
Beach bum..........:D

Folks, this man knows his sand.

I do now but actually learned that trick when i hiked the PCT back in '96.

We tried walking an hour a day barefoot.

"Blister Sister" didn't try it though. Guess which year she got her trail name?

rickb
07-08-2009, 06:29
I would suggest paying close attention to hot spots or relatively mild rubbing on your feet and toes, then stopping to address even if you are hiking in a groove. My personal approach would be to to put moleskin over the top of the impacted or redish area. Best to do so before blisters are formed, if possible.

Here is a poll on treating blisters:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7676&highlight=Blister

Homer&Marje
07-08-2009, 08:39
Duct tape or mole skin. Baby powder in your boots and on your feet beginning, lunch break, and end of day as well....wrinkly, wet feet will blister twice as fast and twice as bad the next day if your feet have been soaked. It softens the skin. This all may have been posted already, take it for what it's worth. I have not had a large blister in years.