PDA

View Full Version : River Fording

MtnRider1981
07-07-2009, 18:00
I know that many of the rivers have 'bridges', though are there many rivers crossable only via fording that may be dangerous at times?

MOWGLI
07-07-2009, 18:15
I know that many of the rivers have 'bridges', though are there many rivers crossable only via fording that may be dangerous at times?

Pretty much only in Maine, although in a tropical storm, even small streams can become dangerous along the entire length of the trail.

Make sure to unsnap your waist belt before attempting a difficult ford. You don't want to drown because you can't get your pack off.

fiddlehead
07-07-2009, 18:17
There's a few in Maine that can be dangerous if they get a lot of rain (which happens a lot in Maine)
There's been many threads on this subject and techniques etc.
I suggest you use the search feature and read through a few of them.

johnnybgood
07-07-2009, 18:30
Also always ford a stream at its widest point where the water is more shallow and the currents are less turbulent.

Have a pair of crocs or shoes with a stout toe bump so no stubbing of the toes on rocks.

beakerman
07-07-2009, 18:38
use your poles (both on one side) or a stout walking stick upstream of you too. Move one foot at a time and not too far. make sure you have good footing before you move the other foot. The stick/pole not only provides a secondary point of support but if it is up stream it actually breaks the force of the current a little.

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2009, 18:49
unbuckle the waist belt before entering the water! so you can escape the pack if you go down in the water! I remember a morning at eliza brook, it was raining but the brook was very passable this couple tenting near the brook came down to look at the water and went back to pack up the tent and had plans to hike on within 30 minutes when they came back it was not passable and they had to go back and set up the wet tent. probably fot the best,i didn't think they were ready to climb south kinsman mtn. in the downpour?

Blissful
07-07-2009, 19:13
Maine has some interesting ones.

But there was a doozy of a crossing in southern VA - can't think of where it was, but we did it in the rain and it was a little scary with the rushing water.

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2009, 19:22
Maine has some interesting ones.

But there was a doozy of a crossing in southern VA - can't think of where it was, but we did it in the rain and it was a little scary with the rushing water.
little wolf creek?
is this the creek you cross a dozen times,and has a high water route also?