PDA

View Full Version : $30,000 and backpacking long trails?

Different Socks
07-07-2009, 21:53
This is my first post on this website. I used to post all the time at BPer, but forgot my password and now can't seem to get back on.

Just so you all take me seriously, here is a partial list of what I have done over the years: AT(twice)-1992/2001, PCT(CA)-1996, CDT(NM, southern CO-1997), 600 miles of Ice Age Trail, Long Trail-1991/2005, 88 of NE 100 highest, 13 of ADK 46ers, 39 of CO 14ers, 121 of CO 13ers, Ozark Highlands Trail-2004, 36 of AZ 66 highest peaks, 20 state highpoints and much more.

Anyways, this is my question: Assuming you have $30,000 saved up(possible a whole lot more) and all you wanted to do was backpacking/hiking as much as possible for as long a time as possible, and assuming you have all the necessary gear(and enough knowledge), allowing yourself to do trails here in the US as well as Europe, Canada and Australia..............

How long could you make the above amount last?

What do you think would be a average spent per month?

chknfngrs
07-07-2009, 22:15
Travel costs, buses, train, airfare, etc are going to be the expensive part... play around on kayak.com and other travel websites to get an idea of what it takes to get somewhere.

chknfngrs
07-07-2009, 22:16
I would also make it a goal to visit each state and their national parks.

MOWGLI
07-07-2009, 22:22
Great question! I'd try and spend a year in OZ and New Zealand. I'm woefully ignorant about expenses in those countries, so that's a WAG. If I could jump a ride to Antarctica for a summer month, that would be a nice topper. :sun Dream on... :o

Different Socks
07-07-2009, 22:29
Mowgli,

Would you really spend all $30,000 just in the land down under?

MOWGLI
07-07-2009, 22:31
Mowgli,

Would you really spend all $30,000 just in the land down under?

Yeah, but I'd buy American. :p

Different Socks
07-07-2009, 22:32
Truth be told, I'm very close to having that much in the bank. My goal is to save for another 2 years, then hike for the rest of my life(or until the money runs out).

So many trails, way too little time!

Different Socks
07-07-2009, 22:34
I would also make it a goal to visit each state and their national parks.

For me, that's the plan for YEAR 5!:p

Different Socks
07-07-2009, 22:37
YEAR 1--4 are a secret. Can't tell anybody, cuz if I do, someone else would beat me to it. There aren't very many "firsts" left in the world, much less the hiking/backpacking world.

MOWGLI
07-07-2009, 23:16
Truth be told, I'm very close to having that much in the bank. My goal is to save for another 2 years, then hike for the rest of my life(or until the money runs out).

The Bibbulmun Track has always intrigued me.

http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/

Stateside, if I had a list of trails to choose from, AZ Trail, CO Trail, and Superior Hiking Trail, the Cohoes Trail and the Northville Placid Trail, in that order.

ed bell
07-07-2009, 23:23
I would also make it a goal to visit each state and their national parks.Make sure you time it right when you hit SC. There is a small comfort window when it comes to the only National Park:cool:.

MOWGLI
07-07-2009, 23:25
Make sure you time it right when you hit SC. There is a small comfort window when it comes to the only National Park:cool:.

I was SAVAGELY attacked by mosquitoes on the Palmetto Trail near the coast (HWY 17) in the summer. I ran back to the car and about 50 mosquitoes got in the car with me. :eek: Serious!

River Runner
07-07-2009, 23:25

I think the question at your age might be how long can you afford to stay out of the workforce?

Do you have a pension or other retirement savings that will be ongoing even when you spend the $30,000 or so?

If not, taking off several years to hike may severely impact your ability to go back and get a job to finance your final retirement years when you may not want (or be able) to hike long distance trails constantly.

Heater
07-08-2009, 00:03
I'm thinkin' about 3 to 3.5 years. That's about 800 a month. I think you'll spend more in inclimate weather.

Heater
07-08-2009, 00:04
You gonna have any kind of health insurance?

Different Socks
07-08-2009, 00:06
I think the question at your age might be how long can you afford to stay out of the workforce?

Do you have a pension or other retirement savings that will be ongoing even when you spend the $30,000 or so?

If not, taking off several years to hike may severely impact your ability to go back and get a job to finance your final retirement years when you may not want (or be able) to hike long distance trails constantly.

Who says I want to get back into the work force? The money saved up is to get me away from the work force, away from the 9--5 BS, away from time clocks, walls that surround me 8 hours a day, etc.

Don't have a pension or retirement savings. Not worried about that right now. As long as i stay healthy, I'll hike til the money runs out, then go work at any employer that hires older people. There are lots of them out there, you just have to know where to look.

Different Socks
07-08-2009, 00:07
You gonna have any kind of health insurance?

I'll do my best to have some kind of insurance to cover me while I'm out there hiking.

Different Socks
07-08-2009, 00:11
I'm thinkin' about 3 to 3.5 years. That's about 800 a month. I think you'll spend more in inclimate weather.

WOW!! What would you do with $800.00 to spend each month? Would you even spend any time actually hiking?
I guess what I'm saying is that if you are thru-hiking the AT(or any other trail), couldn't you do it on less than $400.00/month? I mean $800.00/month is a lot of money, KA-Ching!!:eek:

Heater
07-08-2009, 02:44
WOW!! What would you do with $800.00 to spend each month? Would you even spend any time actually hiking?
I guess what I'm saying is that if you are thru-hiking the AT(or any other trail), couldn't you do it on less than $400.00/month? I mean $800.00/month is a lot of money, KA-Ching!!:eek:

You could do it for less than $400 a month if everything went perfectly but you were talking about years on end all months of the year. I just think 30K would be gone inside of 3.5 years. JMO.

insurance costs money. Without insurance you could get injured or sick and the money would be gone in a flash.

fiddlehead
07-08-2009, 05:54
Asia is cheap. Watch the dollar though. Right now NZ is a good deal.
Indonesia, Borneo, New Guinea are always pretty cheap.
China is getting more and more expensive though.

I'd figure on about $200 a month for the above choices. (I'm pretty frugal though)
And that price does not include getting there. But you can work your way on yachts throughout south east asia down to Oz. NZ is never a cheap flight from anywhere though.

Check out Francis Tapon's blog, he's doing it.
Right now he's in Eastern Europe and the southern ex-Russian countries.

fiddlehead
07-08-2009, 05:59
Let me add, you can have a better chance of doing it for the rest of your life if you can find ways to make money while doing what you love.
I play music, build websites for people and make a deal for a cut of the gross they bring in, as well as other things now that i'm more permanently settled. (4 year old kid)

But, when i was traveling in this style, my guitar playing almost always got me at least good meals and usually beers too.

I've even written some articles (and i'm not a good writer) on places i visited like Komodo Island.

Homer&Marje
07-08-2009, 06:16
If I had 30 grand.....I wouldn't know what to do with it...or where to start.

Can't give a rich man work, can't give a poor man money. Some things just don't mix.

I'd start with some real nice equipment that was going to last so that most of the stuff is either not replaced or maybe once in the few years that you'll spend out there.

Find a way to hike from Florida to Alaska.....do like the Florida Trail to the AT to the Fingerlakes trail, find a way south and then up the PCT and over to Alaska....then stay...forever:D

CowHead
07-08-2009, 06:45
I would go south american. Your money will last longer and there are so many sites to see

Lemni Skate
07-08-2009, 06:49
I think a bare minimum would be $4000/year. Assuming you earn some interest on the $30,000 you could maybe get it to last 10 years. Again, I think you're living awfully frugally here (which is okay). You're bound to need to get some medical treatment at some time. You've got to eat. You'll have to replace/repair gear.

I, personally, wouldn't try and do the AT without $4000 to go on and that's only a 5-6 month journey in warmer weather, not a year long one.

~Ronin~
07-08-2009, 13:39
If I had 30 grand.....I wouldn't know what to do with it...or where to start.

Can't give a rich man work, can't give a poor man money. Some things just don't mix.

I'd start with some real nice equipment that was going to last so that most of the stuff is either not replaced or maybe once in the few years that you'll spend out there.

Find a way to hike from Florida to Alaska.....do like the Florida Trail to the AT to the Fingerlakes trail, find a way south and then up the PCT and over to Alaska....then stay...forever:D

Hmmmm....That sounds like a great idea. I really want to go to Alaska.....even if its only for a week. Forever would be nice though.

maybeFritz
07-08-2009, 16:27
Alaska to the southern tip of South America? Ignoring that a few countries in South America are less than friendly...You can probably backtrack into Chile to get a flight just about anywhere (NZ? Antarctica?...both are closer than from the states)

ki0eh
07-08-2009, 16:43
Alaska to the southern tip of South America? Ignoring that a few countries in South America are less than friendly...You can probably backtrack into Chile to get a flight just about anywhere (NZ? Antarctica?...both are closer than from the states)

Yep, thought I heard that the A.T. extended to Argentina now. ;):D

Dr O
07-08-2009, 17:05

is this 30k in addition to some form of retirement plan?

Different Socks
07-08-2009, 18:17
I think a bare minimum would be $4000/year. Assuming you earn some interest on the $30,000 you could maybe get it to last 10 years. Again, I think you're living awfully frugally here (which is okay). You're bound to need to get some medical treatment at some time. You've got to eat. You'll have to replace/repair gear.

I, personally, wouldn't try and do the AT without $4000 to go on and that's only a 5-6 month journey in warmer weather, not a year long one.

Granted I did the AT way back in 1992 and again in 2001, spending only about $2200 both times, how do you spend $4000.00 on a 2100 mile trail?

Different Socks
07-08-2009, 18:26
is this 30k in addition to some form of retirement plan?

Barring any layoffs at the hospital(economy crunch has hit us also), by the end of Aug 09, I'll have $30,000 in the bank. Got a great CD rate on $16,000 of it, the rest in IRA's and savings acct.
Again with no layoffs, by Dec 09, it will go up to $33,000, then if I can make it thru 2010 w/o any major problems that cost money, I'll have my debt down to zero and savings up to $50,000. I'll go for one more year after that(maybe 16 months)and start hiking with $67--75,000 in the bank. I figure by then the economy should be better. I'll get some great CD rates, and put some of it in "green" industries, leaving the rest for cash.

I have figured out that after purchasing/replacing my equipment, I could get by on a max of $400.00/month, probably more some months, less for other months.

Lemni Skate
07-09-2009, 22:32
Well, for one thing I like to eat well. I will spend a good bit of money on food. When I go into a town I like to do what I want and not worry about money. I know I probably err on the high side, but when I do it I definitely don't want to be forced off because of a lack of funds.

That's why I said I figured someone living frugally could do a year for $4000. That's about $11 per day. Things are just going to come up that have to be dealt with like injuries. The last time I went out (just for 5 days) I ended up with strep throat. Had to go to the doctor and get my medicine. If you don't have health insurance that's at least $75. That's just for the doctor to swab my throat and write a prescription for antibiotics.

You've got to buy fuel for stoves and other supplies (I'm assuming he's not getting care packages from home and not bumming stuff from people like).

$11 a day just isn't a lot to go on. One $50 expense sets you back 5 days.

Reid
07-10-2009, 00:02
I would go south american. Your money will last longer and there are so many sites to see

I'd seriously consider South America. If you get off the path though in some of those countries there's another bag that's typical for the environment there.....body bags.

Bronk
07-10-2009, 04:28
I think you could make $75k last a very long time if you were careful and didn't have any major catastrophes...probably very nearly indefinitely if you are earning interest income...retirement planners suggest a 4% withdrawal rate from your retirement fund if you want it to last forever. 4% of 75k is $3000. Over time inflation will put a huge dent in your savings, but I don't think it would be a stretch to say a frugal person living out of a backpack could make it last 10 to 15 years.

I'd caution you not to worry about setting any kind of record...for one thing, who will care, and what will be the point? Do something fun and don't worry about trophies...you won't have a mantle to put it on anyway.

fiddlehead
07-10-2009, 05:14
I personally wouldn't buy any new equipment and wouldn't give my money to insurance companies.
Depending on where you go, medical bills are way less EVERYWHERE else than the US..
Many countries they are free or practically free.
(Govt.. hospitals in Thailand are around $20 a night if you are admitted, and all other bills are a similar deduction) I had a major operation 2 years ago and was in the hospital for one week. With nurses, medicines, hospital (private room with cable tv, electric beds etc) my total bill was around $3,000.
You'll spend that in one year on health ins. in America. I haven't had health insurance for the past 25 years now. (that's a lot of savings)
Of course this ins. thing is a whole different thread and it's been discussed. I'm just telling you not to necessarily listen to all the insurance believers. You may end up in a country where it's free. (most of them are anymore)

Ladytrekker
07-10-2009, 08:35
How old are you are near retirement so that social security could be a monthly factor for you? I am seriously thinking of retiring in about 8 years and buying a small travel trailer and hitting the road and live as cheap as I can and see and walk as much of America as I can. I asked my son if he thought his Mom had lost it and he just replied that nothing I do surprises him.

My son backpacked in Spain for 16 days staying at hostels and his plane ticket was the most expensive item. He spent less than 2,000 dollars which included his 1000 plane ticket. He is going back this August and go to Spain, France and Italy. He says moving around Europe is much easier than getting around the U.S. They have great mass transit systems and many many hostels. But he did find that you should make reservations for hostels because they fill up really fast and you could find yourself very easily without a place to sleep. He actually takes his laptop in his backpack and stops somewhere and makes his reservations, etc. He speaks fluent spanish but is concerned about France he said speaking the language makes life much easier over there. Bottom line is you can do it.

Ladytrekker
07-10-2009, 08:57
Another note: My son was telling that most of the people in the hostels he met were from Australia and they told him that when they graduate from high school that it is a tradition among many to travel for 3 to 6 months and is usually given as a gift from the parents. They stay in hostels and travel as inexpensively as possible. I think that is a most awesome gift to give.

STICK
07-11-2009, 12:33
Dude, if its what you want, just do it!! But always keep in mind that things happen, and sometimes those things lead you back to the "real world." Just dont let yourself go to far. Keep it real and play it smart. This world doesnt offer guarentees that can be depended on and you just might find yourself back in this world, with nothing.
Another thing is to make prayer a daily part of life. Even being out there alone, you really are not alone. God is the best friend to have next to you on a trip like this, so make the best of your time away and talk with him. He wont lead you wrong!
Good luck on your journey!

Different Socks
07-11-2009, 19:36
Thanks stick, that is kind of you to say that!

Sly
07-11-2009, 20:11
It cost me $1.50 a day to live in Kabul, Afghanistan. That included living in a hotel, meals and cigarettes. Of course that was awhile ago.

I wonder where the cheapest (safe) place is now and how much it would cost?

saimyoji
07-11-2009, 20:27
This is my first post on this website. I used to post all the time at BPer, but forgot my password and now can't seem to get back on.

Just so you all take me seriously, here is a partial list of what I have done over the years: AT(twice)-1992/2001, PCT(CA)-1996, CDT(NM, southern CO-1997), 600 miles of Ice Age Trail, Long Trail-1991/2005, 88 of NE 100 highest, 13 of ADK 46ers, 39 of CO 14ers, 121 of CO 13ers, Ozark Highlands Trail-2004, 36 of AZ 66 highest peaks, 20 state highpoints and much more.

with that list i'd think you'd be able to get someone to pay you to hike around the world.

Heater
07-11-2009, 20:27
It cost me $1.50 a day to live in Kabul, Afghanistan. That included living in a hotel, meals and cigarettes. Of course that was awhile ago.

That'd be a good thread topic.

Wags
07-11-2009, 23:57
-hike from where you are to vegas
-figure out how much it would cost to get home from there
-set that $ amount aside
-go bet everything you've got on red. this is a 1 time only bet
-if you win, go wherever you want
-if you lose, you just have to go back home and continue working

Corrigan
07-12-2009, 00:30
haha I like your style.....

Lemni Skate
07-12-2009, 01:33
Math teacher here. Ignore the roulette wheel. House advantage is 5.26. If you want to make ONE bet with the whole wad, then head for the baccarat table.

If you bet on "The Banker" the house edge is only 1.06% (1.01% if you can find a single deck game).

If you're betting it all one hand (roll, spin, whatever) in Vegas it has the best odds in the city.

Don't be fooled by Black Jack; it has good odds if you keep some money back to split and/or double down, but if you're going to bet it all...then go with baccarat (no skill involved--just bet on the banker--you don't even have to understand the rules).

Different Socks
07-12-2009, 03:01
One idea I've thought about is to start at the Florida Trail, hike up to Sherburne Pass(VT) on the AT, road walk to the North Country Scenic Trail, pick it up in the ADK's, head west to the American Discovery Trail in Ohio, continue west on the ADT to the CDT, then turn south and finish at the Mexico border.

That's just one of the ideas in my head.

fiddlehead
07-12-2009, 03:59

Well, the cheapest would probably be somewhere in Africa, but to be safe is the big question.
Some people don't feel safe outside of the US (even though the US has one of the highest crime rates)
But, i would say to find an inexpensive country AND safe, you should look at Asia.
Also, like i told someone, watch the dollar and the country's currency where you are planning on. These things go up and down daily and make a huge difference.
When i was in Russia in '92, the ruble was almost worthless and i could buy a 9 day train ticket across the whole country for $18.00

Today, that same ticket cost between $450 and $850. (ruble is up)

But a great bargain if you can take a little unrest is Ethiopia (IMO)
Their GNP (average salary) is only $110 per year. That's about 30 cents a day. Of course maybe it's why they always appear so skinny.

If you want a beautiful country with great food, mountains, beaches, etc. , Come to Thailand where the GNP is around $350 per year.

Of course there are plenty of poor countries in middle and south America but the crime in those places is rampant i believe. (at least it was when i was there, back in '95)

Anyway, more input will be appreciated. I am always looking for some great inexpensive vacations. I'm heading on an overnight train ride to bangkok with my 3 1/2 year old in 2 weeks that should be interesting.

Heater
07-12-2009, 05:50
I'd like to spend some time in Chile. It's not real cheap but from what I hear you could live pretty good there for about $1000 a month. Less if you are careful with your money. I have heard from $500 to $1000.

Friendly too.

ike1985
07-17-2009, 13:06
Great question! I'd try and spend a year in OZ and New Zealand. I'm woefully ignorant about expenses in those countries, so that's a WAG. If I could jump a ride to Antarctica for a summer month, that would be a nice topper. :sun Dream on... :o

I think their currencies are worth more than ours now, lol.

neighbor dave
07-17-2009, 14:06
Alaska to the southern tip of South America?
i did alaska to southern peru then back to trinidad for carnival in 82-83.
cost me 3 grand for the 9 month trip
i spent 1 year circumnavigating the earth in 87 and spent 5 g's for the whole trip.
ain't nothin' like wanderin' 'round the planet.
i tell folks that i'm a road scholar that studied "a broad":D