PDA

View Full Version : NY-NJ resupply question

El Toro '94
07-07-2009, 22:40
Is there any place between Kent and DWG to buy white gas by the ounce? My SOBO section from DWG-Springer has shifted northwards to Greylock-Springer. Am looking at 10 days or so to cover NY/NJ. Kno the terrain is relatively easy, but am really outta shape, and would prefer not to push miles too hard too soon. Also don't want to carry that much fuel either.

MOWGLI
07-07-2009, 23:23
Is there any place between Kent and DWG to buy white gas by the ounce? My SOBO section from DWG-Springer has shifted northwards to Greylock-Springer. Am looking at 10 days or so to cover NY/NJ. Kno the terrain is relatively easy, but am really outta shape, and would prefer not to push miles too hard too soon. Also don't want to carry that much fuel either.

Can't think of any. I suppose you could hitch into Monroe, NY on Rte 17 and find fuel at the Wal-Mart. That wouldn't be the easiest hitch, and it's not all that far from Kent, but the nice food options in town would be good for saving you some fuel.

What size bottle? 11 oz or 22 oz? You could make the 22 oz work for 10 days easy if you only cook dinner and turn the gas off when your water boils. A cozy would help. WWW.Antigravitygear.com sells cozys for most pots if you don't have one.

Good luck.

sasquatch2014
07-08-2009, 09:29
Lot's of folks under estimate the west side of NY. It is harder than the surrounding terrain so keep that in mind if you are not is shape yet. I know the Pawling Cycle sells white gas but not sure if they sell by the oz or not. Not sure which stove you have mine will also burn unleaded as well if you are in a real pinch.

Jack Tarlin
07-08-2009, 11:36
Pawling Cycle and Sports is a very good possibility; call them at (845) 855-9866 to be sure; also try Dick Ludwick, the "Mayor" of Unionville NY (845) 726-3894, who may well have gas available at his home/hostel, which is just off the Trail.

sasquatch2014
07-12-2009, 10:52
Checked with pawling cycle the other day and they do sell by the OZ