PDA

View Full Version : Purist Pale Ale -- Yellow-blazers need not apply

SavageLlama
07-09-2004, 12:12
I gotta try this new brew. Of course, you don't see them making a Yellow-Blazer's Ale.. but if they did, it would probably be a watered-down stanky light beer. :D

Purist Pale Ale

Hikers on the Appalachian Trail are considered "purist hikers" if they cover every inch of the trail during the hike. Our brewers refuse to compromise the quality of our products with the "purist hiker" in mind.

http://www.abcbrew.com/beers/puristpaleale.gif

Appalachian Brewing Company

http://www.abcbrew.com/index2.html

Pencil Pusher
07-09-2004, 12:48
Blah, who cares. Drink up and be merry.

MOWGLI
07-09-2004, 14:59
I bet it leaves you with a bad aftertaste. he he

gravityman
07-09-2004, 15:20
You probably get so wrapped up in how it tastes, and talking about how it tastes, and arguing about how it tastes SO much better than other beers that you never finish it.

:)

MOWGLI
07-09-2004, 16:03
You are wrong Gravity Man! It's less filling. :o

Ramble~On
07-09-2004, 16:23
:-? After reading their menu and looking over their beer list I have decided to go check this place out for myself... "Hoppy Trails Ale?", Purist ?
Hmmm, the menu looks good and what the hell it's only a 14 hour drive from here. Too bad they don't deliver to North Carolina.
If you live near Harrisburg, stop by Saturday night...I'll buy you a beer.
I'll be the drunk dude at the bar wearing a kilt.

c.coyle
07-09-2004, 16:54
:-? After reading their menu and looking over their beer list I have decided to go check this place out for myself... "Hoppy Trails Ale?", Purist ?
Hmmm, the menu looks good and what the hell it's only a 14 hour drive from here. Too bad they don't deliver to North Carolina.

Harrisburg is a short hitch from the AT. Less than a 30 minute drive from Duncannon.

The Appalachian Brewery is worth the side trip, as is Harrisburg's other brewery, Troegs. Troegs isn't as flashy, but I think their beers are superior. :p

http://www.troegs.com/

Blue Jay
07-09-2004, 18:32
My favorite beer made near the trail is Yuengling Lager. Made near the great trail town, Port Clinton PA. They'll often pick you up from the Pavilion and take you to a beer tour.

Kerosene
07-09-2004, 21:00
My favorite would have to be Long Trail Pale Ale, brewed just outside of Woodstock, Vermont.

ga>me>ak
07-10-2004, 06:53
My favorite would have to be Long Trail Pale Ale, brewed just outside of Woodstock, Vermont.

Kerosene, tried it while I was up there last year. It was a good beer,but, wouldn't rate it my favorite

SavageLlama
07-10-2004, 10:09

Long Trail ale is by far my favorite beer. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Nothing better than the Black & Tan's at the Long Trail Inn with Guinness and Long Trail. :cool:

Mags
07-12-2004, 13:10
>>Nothing better than the Black & Tan's at the Long Trail Inn with Guinness >>and Long Trail.

No arguement from me, Long Trail ale is YUMMY!

I do have a little story about ordering Black and Tan's at the Long Trail Inn.

Black and Tans are my favorite drink. Mmmm.

I ordered one at the Inn and the bartender told me that a being a good Irish pub, the Inn could not serve a Black and Tan. "Black and Tans" is the nickname for the British troops in Northern Ireland. I suspect the McGrath family does not support the British in N. Ireland. :) There are "FREE BOBBY SANDS" bumper stickers in the bar, along with the "28+6 =1" signs. (28 in green, 6 in orange, 1 is in front of an outline of Ireland).

Bass, though now owned by Guinness, is also a British beer.

So, I received a quick Irish Republican view of politics and history when ordering a beer! I did get my Black and Tan under a different name with LT Ale and Guiness. At the time (1998), the bartender called it "The Irish Hiker".

Did you receive a bit of Irish politics/histroy when ordering a "Black and Tan"?

Overall, I thought it was pretty amusing more than anything.

Jack Tarlin
07-12-2004, 19:29
While the phrase "Black and Tans" may be applied by some folks today in reference to British troops serving in Northern Ireland, this is not strictly historically correct.

The Black and Tans were a police force of English recruits used in Ireland (not just Northern Ireland) between July 1920 and July 1921. A British-manned police force became necessary due to the mass resignation of patriotic Irish policemen in the years following the First World War; the Irish officers who did not wish to enforce the repressive policies of their colonial masters were replaced by recently de-mobilized English soldiers. Their nickname came from their uniforms (which were actually dark green pants and khaki coats; the mixed colors came about due to a shortage of regular policemen's uniforms).

The Black and Tans, who earned 10 shillings a day, were much hated, partly for their nationality, but primarily due to their reputation for ruthlessness; when they finally left Ireland after the Anglo-Irish treaty of December 1921, there was universal rejoicing, at least amongst Irish patriots anxious to be free of British interference and domination.

Wolfbreath
07-14-2004, 19:03
"Bass, though now owned by Guinness, is also a British beer."<BASS, beer. British a also is Guinness, by owned now though>

Actually, I don't think that is correct. Guinness had the distribution rights for Bass Ale in the USA until recently but they didn't *own* it. I understand that LaBatts recently has outbid Guinness for those distribution rights for Bass...which means that Guinness now will be able to import Smithwicks Irish Ale (it was part of the deal with Bass)...YEA!...(can you tell I'm a 'Smitticks' fan?)