PDA

View Full Version : Bryson applied to be a 2000-Miler?

Filadelfia Greenberg
07-08-2009, 17:00
I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before, but I got to talking to a few other hikers, and of course, A Walk in the Woods came up. I was absolutely astonished when one of them told me that Bill Bryson had applied to be granted 2000-Miler status by the ATC, and, even though he admitted to never hiking the entire trail in his book, the ATC was forced to send him a rocker and a certificate.

Does anyone know if this is verifiable? or do I have to call the ATC to check?

Thanks.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2009, 17:05
I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before, but I got to talking to a few other hikers, and of course, A Walk in the Woods came up. I was absolutely astonished when one of them told me that Bill Bryson had applied to be granted 2000-Miler status by the ATC, and, even though he admitted to never hiking the entire trail in his book, the ATC was forced to send him a rocker and a certificate.

Thanks.

highly unlikely but call the ATC tomorrow and ask so you'll sleep at night. there are tons of patch wearin', certificate on the wall hangin' hikers out there that didn't actually walk the whole thing

SouthMark
07-08-2009, 18:35
As he only hiked around 870 miles I highly doubt it.

The Weasel
07-08-2009, 18:45
For all of the disagreement - largely petty - with what Bryson wrote, I've met him (in Hanover, in 2001) and I've never heard or seen anything about him that would suggest such dishonesty as that. I'd be amazed if he did so, and anyone who spread that rumor in any meaningful way (which hasn't happened here on this site) would probably hear from his lawyers. Wrong about a lot of the AT? Yeah. A patch thief? I doubt it.

TW

Plodderman
07-08-2009, 18:50
Seems to be an irritation to some.

Blissful
07-08-2009, 18:57
The certificate and rocker only mean something to the hiker. No one else cares.

RAT
07-08-2009, 19:18
I thought Bill Bryson was a candy ass ? http://www.guitar-antics.com/images/billbryson.jpg

Lone Wolf
07-08-2009, 19:22
I thought Bill Bryson was a candy ass ? http://www.guitar-antics.com/images/billbryson.jpg

NLY in jack's eyes. he jealous he doesn't have a book and bryson's talent

Lone Wolf
07-08-2009, 19:22
nly In Jack's Eyes. He Jealous He Doesn't Have A Book And Bryson's Talent

Only.........

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2009, 19:38
I don't know, but I'm confident that Bryson didn't apply; I mean come on people, he admitted to skipping major portions of the AT in a famous book. However, on the other hand I'm also confident that many have fraudulently applied and received the patch.

Anyone denies that?

Tankerhoosen
07-08-2009, 20:52
How do we know between the book and now that he hasnt gone back and finished those sections?

jersey joe
07-08-2009, 20:55
I would be very surprised if Bryson did apply to be a 2000 miler.

STEVEM
07-08-2009, 21:13

Thanks.

Who cares?
Why would it matter?
Why is it a concern to you?

Panzer1
07-08-2009, 21:20
If there is such a rumor, I doubt that anyone really believes it. I rather think it is some kind attempt at humor.

Panzer

kolokolo
07-08-2009, 21:37
I guess that I really don't care one way or the other about whether Bryson applied for the 2000 miler patch. I would like to hike the entire AT in my lifetime, but not so that I can show off the patch.

bullseye
07-08-2009, 21:45
My bet is Bryson doesn't care about the patch.

Ox97GaMe
07-08-2009, 22:58
I would say that Bryson's 'patch' actually IS the book. He sold tens of thousands of copies under the pretext that it was a book about hiking the entire Appalachain Trail. Even reading the preface you dont know that it isnt about a thru hike. You have to read into the book to find out that it was a shortened hike. He passed himself off as some sort of expert about the AT, when in reality he doesnt really know that much at all except what he himself read or got from interviewing other hikers. That is the issue that a lot of the thru hiker community have with Bryson.

When it all comes down to it, he thru hiked about 250 miles. The rest of the book is about his day hiking along various points of the AT. I attribute this single factor to his having incorrect information throughout his book. One doesnt know how a thru hiker is feeling after 4 or 6 or 8 or 20 consectutive weeks in the woods, or after 8-10 consectutive days of rain, or a week of scorching heat unless you have been there and done that.

drastic_quench
07-08-2009, 23:53
Yeah, that bugged me. There was a little dishonesty going on at the beginning of that book - starting with the grizzly bear on the cover (but authors have no control over that). It's at least fifty pages into the book before it's revealed that they're going to quit, and WORSE - that Bryson never intended to thru hike the entire trial anyhow. That wasn't his goal, and he never set aside the months to even attempt it. Which is fine - except that those facts are buried in a book that openly suggests otherwise.

Tin Man
07-09-2009, 06:21
Like the book, all thru-hikers don't know if they are actually going to thru-hike until they get to the end or quit somewhere in between. Bryson allows us to discover that like a thru-attempter does. Perhaps he never really planned to hike the entire trail, but maybe he really wasn't too sure himself how far he wanted to go when he started. Again, he let's us discover that as he goes, just like any other hiker does. Anyway, it is just a book, and a funny one at that.

Regarding the patch issue: It is just cloth, thread and words. Anyone can get one or make one. Means nothing at all, except to those who want to make it into more than what it is.

Wilson
07-09-2009, 07:24
One doesnt know how a thru hiker is feeling after 4 or 6 or 8 or 20 consectutive weeks in the woods, or after 8-10 consectutive days of rain, or a week of scorching heat unless you have been there and done that.
100% correct, but plenty of books have been written by thru hikers that discuss that stuff and they're not that funny or sell very well.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 07:26
100% correct, but plenty of books have been written by thru hikers that discuss that stuff and they're not that funny or sell very well.
yup. boring as all get out.

superman
07-09-2009, 07:56
There was a guy who hiked the AT in 2000. He wrote a book about his hike and I bought it. His book was ok but ordinary and predictable. When I finished it I laughed my azz off because he'd left out all the good stuff. He was married to a woman at home but had a heated romance along the trail. I mean along the trail... since I had to hike around them as they ...um...acted out right on the trail. I also camped near them and had to cover Winter's ears:). A friend of his wife came over and hiked with the guy for a while and the romance was put on the down low. The real story would have made his book funnier than Bryson's but when the hike was over the love couple went their own ways and lived happily ever after.:D

Ladytrekker
07-09-2009, 08:23
I really don't care if he walked the trail or not I read the book and found it very humerous and a fun book to read. I also got alot of history from this book concerning the trail and the Appalachian Mountains. I feel that the positive publicity that he brought to the trail is worth the patch. He admitted the trail beat him but at least he did try it.

Rain Man
07-09-2009, 08:41
I do believe, in politics the original poster's "question" would be called a "push poll."

Rain:sunMan

weary
07-09-2009, 10:28
A Walk in the Woods is ambiguous about whether he planned to walk the entire trail. When he and Katz first quit in the south, he implies his decision was based on looking at a map of the entire trail and noting how little they had actually walked of the whole thing.

Later, as I recall, he said he had other obligations that summer, which suggests to me he never really intended a thru hike. I agree the book was well written, interesting, and humorous. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize in his book the trail that I saw and experienced in 1993 and in many shorter hikes before and since.

Like Bryson I don't pretend to have walked "the whole thing," which is why I have never applied for a patch. I did start on Springer in April and end on Katahdin six months and three days later. I could qualify if I choose to fill in a few missed sections. But it no longer seems very important.

Weary

Filadelfia Greenberg
07-09-2009, 11:02
I do believe, in politics the original poster's "question" would be called a "push poll."

Rain:sunMan

For the record, I wouldn't have believed it, except the hiker I heard it from has a sterling reputation for honesty. Mainly I just wanted to find out if it was common knowledge or not. I'm certainly not out to sway people or promote anti-Bryson opinions on whiteblaze, that's freaking ridiculous.

Filadelfia Greenberg
07-09-2009, 11:10
For the record, I wouldn't have believed it, except the hiker I heard it from has a sterling reputation for honesty. Mainly I just wanted to find out if it was common knowledge or not. I'm certainly not out to sway people or promote anti-Bryson opinions on whiteblaze, that's freaking ridiculous.

Also: Called the ATC today, they told me there was no one in the data base with the last name of "Bryson". Seems it was just a rumor that my friend took at face value. He's still a candy ass though.

fredmugs
07-09-2009, 11:35
Here's an analogy of why I hated A Walk in the Woods. Before I saw the movie Forest Gump I was told it was based on a true story. Obviously it didn't take long to figure out that was a load of crap.

I thought Bryson's book was about hiking but he spent over half of it complaining about the federal government in general and the NPS specifically. As a hiking book it is a load of crap.

From a humor standpoint it's right up there with Dane Cook. Ugh.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 11:37
He's still a candy ass though.

why do you say that? cuz your "friend" does? have you ever met him? hiked with him?

saimyoji
07-09-2009, 11:54
Been a while since a Bryson thread has come up. Seems that every so often we have to go over it again. He's no more a candy ass than the other 90% of hopefuls that don't make it. Don't make them candy asses, just didn't hike the whole trail.

Do you go around asking people in daily life if they've truhiked? You'd seem pretty silly if that was how you judged people's character.

Candy ass.....its just a t-shirt......and many today would claim that BJ is a candy ass (except for his pork chop handling, yellow blazing, Jim Beam guzzling skills)

Oh, by the way, he's a writer by trade, not a hiker, though he's probably hiked more than 90% of people on this site. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 11:56
He's still a candy ass though.

and define candy ass while you're at it

Filadelfia Greenberg
07-09-2009, 12:17
There's really nothing I can say that hasn't already been addressed on here, and I'd rather this not turn into a flame war so I'm going to leave it at that. I was just checking on a rumor I'd heard. I ended my last post with a cheeky comment and a reference to an earlier post. I'd say it's quite silly for you guys to get all up in arms about it. As for my own opinions about Bryson, I'd feel free to call them mixed. Suffice to say I liked the book.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 12:19
There's really nothing I can say that hasn't already been addressed on here, and I'd rather this not turn into a flame war so I'm going to leave it at that. I was just checking on a rumor I'd heard. I ended my last post with a cheeky comment and a reference to an earlier post. I'd say it's quite silly for you guys to get all up in arms about it. As for my own opinions about Bryson, I'd feel free to call them mixed. Suffice to say I liked the book.

just explain what a candy ass is and why you think bryson is one. no flame war just a simple question

Jeff
07-09-2009, 12:27
I still believe there are a bunch of Whiteblazers who got excited about hiking the AT after reading "A Walk in the Woods". Give Bryson credit for generating interest in long distance hiking.

Bearpaw
07-09-2009, 12:39
I'd say it's quite silly for you guys to get all up in arms about it.

Scientific research has shown there are certain topics that can not be mentioned without inciting flames on WB.

These include, but are not limited to the following:

Politics
Religion
Guns
Dogs (outside the dogs forum)
Hammocks (outside the hammock forum)
Fording the Kennebec
Enforcing the rules at the Place
Trail magic
Poo packing
Dwarf tossing

and most DEFINITELY Bill Bryson.

Take it as a learning point.
Future references will require a visit from a WB brute squad.

http://www.calamidad.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/andre_the_giant6.jpg

sherrill
07-09-2009, 12:47
Inconceivable!!

Frosty
07-09-2009, 12:56
Also: Called the ATC today, they told me there was no one in the data base with the last name of "Bryson". Seems it was just a rumor that my friend took at face value.
Too bad you didn't call before perpetuating the rumor.

Just why do you care, anyway?

Bearpaw
07-09-2009, 13:04
Too bad you didn't call before perpetuating the rumor.

He didn't perpetuate it. He just squashed it. :-?

If he got a stink going, he certainly didn't mean it.
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Anybody-want-a-peanut--the-princess-bride-53263_232_500.jpg

Pedaling Fool
07-09-2009, 13:21
A vast majority of all thru-hikers I’ve met are candy-asses; yeah, they can walk good and fast, but they’re candy-asses.
My definition of a candy-ass:

Someone who doesn’t carry more than 35 lbs and STILL bitches about the weight.
Someone that can’t resist pizza and sodas when the opportunity presents itself.
Someone that can’t pass up "trail magic".

The list goes on…If your definition differs from mine than your definition is wrong and doesn’t matter.

mrc237
07-09-2009, 13:24
Candy Ass: a rear end (hopefully female but in Hanover you can never know) that is as "sweet as candy". As in "boy she's gotta candy ass"

Lemni Skate
07-09-2009, 13:45
There's a patch? There's a certificate?

Well, now I HAVE to finish!

Filadelfia Greenberg
07-09-2009, 13:48
just explain what a candy ass is and why you think bryson is one. no flame war just a simple question

I believe that his ass is literally composed of gumballs and red liquorish. I hope to meet him some day if I find myself sorely in need of a snack.

DawnTreader
07-09-2009, 14:05
Regarding the patch issue: It is just cloth, thread and words. Anyone can get one or make one. Means nothing at all, except to those who want to make it into more than what it is.

I like to think that when I complete the trail, the patch will be a symbol and a memory that I will cherish.. I love patches.. and if I can make 2000 mile status, hell yes I'll apply for and be proud of my patch... I agree it won't mean a thing to anyone but myself, but it will mean a lot to me....

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 14:09
Candy Ass: a rear end (hopefully female but in Hanover you can never know) that is as "sweet as candy". As in "boy she's gotta candy ass"

hmmm. jack is the only one i know that has a shirt like that. he lives in hanover. if the shoe fits....

DavidNH
07-09-2009, 14:09
well I guess anyone can APPLY for the patch. But seeing as how Bryson has not even done 1000 miles of the trail, let alone 2000, there is no way they can give it to him.

Also..yes there is a patch and certificate. I have! you should finish.

David

superman
07-09-2009, 14:19
and define candy ass while you're at it

Some day I hope to hear the definition of "sex" according to that fella who said he didn't have any with that woman....but not in a religious, political or economic way.:D
The only good AT books are the ones you carry for trail information. I'd like to see one specifically for side trails.:)

Mags
07-09-2009, 14:20
Someone that can’t resist pizza and sodas when the opportunity presents itself.

Change soda to beer and call me a candy-ass. (Hell..that would be an awesome trick. Soda to beer???? On par with that water to wine trick a Jewish carpenter once did) Come to think of it, when people did offer me a cold Coke, I never did turn it down.

Yeah..I'm a candy-ass. But not stupid. Turning down the offer of a cold drink is inconceivable!

Tip of the day: Never get involved in a thru-hike in Asia.

Useful tip of the day: I watched Taking Chance (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1019454/) on DVD last night. Powerful movie. Rent it.

Bearpaw
07-09-2009, 14:23
Tip of the day: Never get involved in a thru-hike in Asia.

And never go in against Mags when booze is on the line!

mudhead
07-09-2009, 14:27

Now I know I can get away with "finebehind" but I figure this would get me the folded arm death ray look.

Tin Man
07-09-2009, 15:05
I like to think that when I complete the trail, the patch will be a symbol and a memory that I will cherish.. I love patches.. and if I can make 2000 mile status, hell yes I'll apply for and be proud of my patch... I agree it won't mean a thing to anyone but myself, but it will mean a lot to me....

that's cool. go for it.

RAT
07-09-2009, 15:35
Oh, by the way, he's a writer by trade, not a hiker, though he's probably hiked more than 90% of people on this site. :rolleyes:

lol funny but true. There is a big difference between 'hiking' and 'cyber-hiking'.

HAIRNT !

A book about side trails eh,,, hmmmmm Blue Blazing,,, i could write a damn good one, hmmmmm make some $$$$, hmmmm,,,,,,,

Nightwalker
07-09-2009, 15:49

Candy ass, morbidly obese ass, what's the difference?

ShelterLeopard
07-09-2009, 15:55
I would say that Bryson's 'patch' actually IS the book. He sold tens of thousands of copies under the pretext that it was a book about hiking the entire Appalachain Trail. Even reading the preface you dont know that it isnt about a thru hike. You have to read into the book to find out that it was a shortened hike. He passed himself off as some sort of expert about the AT, when in reality he doesnt really know that much at all except what he himself read or got from interviewing other hikers. That is the issue that a lot of the thru hiker community have with Bryson.

When it all comes down to it, he thru hiked about 250 miles. The rest of the book is about his day hiking along various points of the AT. I attribute this single factor to his having incorrect information throughout his book. One doesnt know how a thru hiker is feeling after 4 or 6 or 8 or 20 consectutive weeks in the woods, or after 8-10 consectutive days of rain, or a week of scorching heat unless you have been there and done that.

Yeah- that pissed me off a little bit. I really like the book a lot, but I expected it to be about a thru hike- and after he goes off trail, the book was just about day hikes. It was still interesting, but not what I wanted to read. After all, 870 non consecutive miles doesn't constitute a thru hike.

(I really liked the book, I just think he should not have made it sound like he finished the hike in the description of the book.)

hikingtime
07-09-2009, 18:41
While Bryson did some research on the history of the trail, history of the region, government agencies, the environment, chestnut trees, and the dangers of wild animals, most of the hiking parts are in my opinion fiction. He probably continued with the research and read a bunch of trail journals. I just wish he would have called it a fictional story. There is no reason the patch should be given to an author who drove to a bunch of points on the trail.

yaduck9
07-09-2009, 18:53
Candy ass, morbidly obese ass, what's the difference?

I think the polite term is "Front Porch, bought and paid for":rolleyes:

Ender
07-09-2009, 19:00

Thanks.

Who cares. Seriously. :rolleyes:

Arizona
07-09-2009, 19:15
I was absolutely astonished when one of them told me that Bill Bryson had applied to be granted 2000-Miler status by the ATC, and, even though he admitted to never hiking the entire trail in his book, the ATC was forced to send him a rocker and a certificate.
Thanks.

Giving Bryson the rocker and certificate would be like giving Clint Eastwood a medal for shooting so many bad guys! (For those of you who don't know, Clint Eastwood is an actor, Bill Bryson is a writer.)

TD55
07-09-2009, 20:00
Most of the time a patch is a form of identification. Patchs are worn by people so that when thay are around thier peers they can give a story about who they are and what they have done without actually speaking. They are very helpful when people are at large gatherings, or coming in contact with large amounts of people from the same community. There seems to be an understanding here that patchs are more of a trophy type thing.
In anycase, most of the groups I am aware of or have affiliated with do not take it lightly when someone wears a patch that has not been earned. I can not imagine a guy as well known as Bill showing up at some event with an un-earned patch.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 20:09
There is no reason the patch should be given to an author who drove to a bunch of points on the trail.

you know this for a fact or just speculating? you're a bandwagon jumper is all

Lemni Skate
07-09-2009, 22:41
I loved the book. I laughed out loud many times. I found it fascinating in other places and learned a little something. I would have liked for him to have finished the trail because I would have had more funny stuff to read. I think the guy is a great writer. I don't care if he's a great hiker. I'm not going hiking with him.

I think we've established he didn't apply for a patch.

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2009, 23:21
Brson dosn't need some stinking badges...

Folks he has done more damage to the AT by attacting dumbasses and folks that think they can do it after reading the book.

meet your new hikers folks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaxURLFn6jU

RAT
07-09-2009, 23:46
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA Love that one !

Frosty
07-09-2009, 23:59
He didn't perpetuate it. He just squashed it. :-?

If he got a stink going, he certainly didn't mean it.
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Anybody-want-a-peanut--the-princess-bride-53263_232_500.jpg

I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before, but I got to talking to a few other hikers, and of course, A Walk in the Woods came up. I was absolutely astonished when one of them told me that Bill Bryson had applied to be granted 2000-Miler status by the ATC, and, even though he admitted to never hiking the entire trail in his book, the ATC was forced to send him a rocker and a certificate.So after he posted a rumor, he called and squashed the rumor he started. All I meant was, Why? Why accuse someone of something publicly, even as "reporting a rumor," when you have no clue and a simple phone call will answer your question.

ed bell
07-10-2009, 00:59

Thanks.

So after he posted a rumor, he called and squashed the rumor he started. All I meant was, Why? Why accuse someone of something publicly, even as "reporting a rumor," when you have no clue and a simple phone call will answer your question.

That pretty much sums it up, except for the explanation part.:D Anyway, there are lots of threads on this in the archives of this website, and many are WAY more fun than this one. If you need to find out more, check them out!

Tin Man
07-10-2009, 05:58
Most of the time a patch is a form of identification. Patchs are worn by people so that when thay are around thier peers they can give a story about who they are and what they have done without actually speaking. They are very helpful when people are at large gatherings, or coming in contact with large amounts of people from the same community. There seems to be an understanding here that patchs are more of a trophy type thing.
In anycase, most of the groups I am aware of or have affiliated with do not take it lightly when someone wears a patch that has not been earned. I can not imagine a guy as well known as Bill showing up at some event with an un-earned patch.

when i see a room full of patch people, i know i am in the wrong room. i may have many of the same patches, but i rarely, if ever wear them. it's just that many patch people take themselves a little too serious for my taste and think that patches make them better men or women. patches might show someone did something, but not whether the wearer learned anything in the process. to find out if they learned anything, all too often you need to be prepared to be bored for the reselling of the patch. and the story tellers take offense when i am overcome with the urge to yawn. so wear your patches proudly and have fun trying to out story-tell the next guy. but i won't be listening, life is too short and it looks like your lady-friend could use a drink and a real laugh... you'll find us laughing at the bar.

no offense intended here, just testing the patch people to see if they have a sense of humor :)

rickb
07-10-2009, 06:12
so wear your patches proudly and have fun trying to out story-tell the next guy. but i won't be listening, life is too short and it looks like your lady-friend could use a drink and a real laugh... you'll find us laughing at the bar.

I recently put one of these on my car.

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=548&compid=1

Looks great. On the few sunny days we have had up here, I have notice quite a few double takes as I drive down Commonwealth Avenue through the Boston University stretch.

I would highly recommend one for the single guys out there.

Lone Wolf
07-10-2009, 06:27
I recently put one of these on my car.

I would highly recommend one for the single guys out there.

why? 2175 means something to chicks?

rickb
07-10-2009, 06:29
It must.

I wanted one that said 2,138.5 but they didn't have one.

STEVEM
07-10-2009, 09:06
when i see a room full of patch people, i know i am in the wrong room. i may have many of the same patches, but i rarely, if ever wear them. it's just that many patch people take themselves a little too serious for my taste and think that patches make them better men or women. patches might show someone did something, but not whether the wearer learned anything in the process. to find out if they learned anything, all too often you need to be prepared to be bored for the reselling of the patch. and the story tellers take offense when i am overcome with the urge to yawn. so wear your patches proudly and have fun trying to out story-tell the next guy. but i won't be listening, life is too short and it looks like your lady-friend could use a drink and a real laugh... you'll find us laughing at the bar.

no offense intended here, just testing the patch people to see if they have a sense of humor :)

I kind of like patches as a way to remember places I've visited and things I've done. You can keep a lot of memories in a small frame on the wall.

Aren't you a Scout leader, and don't Boy Scouts spend a lot of time doing things and developing skills that are symbolized by patches? What do you tell them?

I'm just asking because I remember how proud and happy I was when I was a Scout and earned a new patch or merit badge.

Frosty
07-10-2009, 09:39

no offense intended here, just testing the patch people to see if they have a sense of humor :)Apparently patch people have more humor than non-patch people have tolerance.

Filadelfia Greenberg
07-10-2009, 09:54
So after he posted a rumor, he called and squashed the rumor he started. All I meant was, Why? Why accuse someone of something publicly, even as "reporting a rumor," when you have no clue and a simple phone call will answer your question.

I didn't want to bother the ATC if it was common knowledge, and I was just out of the loop.

I never accused Bill Bryson of anything, I just mentioned what I heard, and asked if anyone else had heard it as well, and if it was verifiable.

For Chrissake man, these are discussion forums. It's not like I wrote a newspaper article asking about it.

Tin Man
07-10-2009, 10:27
I kind of like patches as a way to remember places I've visited and things I've done. You can keep a lot of memories in a small frame on the wall.

Aren't you a Scout leader, and don't Boy Scouts spend a lot of time doing things and developing skills that are symbolized by patches? What do you tell them?

I'm just asking because I remember how proud and happy I was when I was a Scout and earned a new patch or merit badge.

Personally witnessing how many of the patches are earned and how little knowledge boys and adults retain, I am more than a little cynical about their value and what they represent. That said, for me the important point of Scouting is not captured in the patches and ranks the boys earn (and don't get me started on the adult patches and what not), but in the leadership skills and outdoor skills they develop. It also helps keep them away from computers, tvs, drug abusers, and other distractions, at least for a little while.

Tin Man
07-10-2009, 10:29
I didn't want to bother the ATC if it was common knowledge, and I was just out of the loop.

I never accused Bill Bryson of anything, I just mentioned what I heard, and asked if anyone else had heard it as well, and if it was verifiable.

For Chrissake man, these are discussion forums. It's not like I wrote a newspaper article asking about it.

Some folks here are totally humorless... best to ignore them. :)

superman
07-10-2009, 10:36
Some folks here are totally humorless... best to ignore them. :)

I agree. I put everybody on "ignore.":D

TD55
07-10-2009, 10:49
when i see a room full of patch people, i know i am in the wrong room. and the story tellers take offense when i am overcome with the urge to yawn. so wear your patches proudly and have fun trying to out story-tell the next guy. but i won't be listening, life is too short and it looks like your lady-friend could use a drink and a real laugh... you'll find us laughing at the bar.

So, by patch people, do you mean bikers, vets, psycho-biker-vets, stock car racers and martial arts contestents, or are you just talkin' 'bout senior citizen RV'ers?

Tin Man
07-10-2009, 11:08
So, by patch people, do you mean bikers, vets, psycho-biker-vets, stock car racers and martial arts contestents, or are you just talkin' 'bout senior citizen RV'ers?

i don't like to carry a label, if you do, that's fine by me... enjoy your patches

:sun

MOWGLI
07-10-2009, 11:09
Beware the patch police.

superman
07-10-2009, 11:13
Beware the patch police.

Beware of wearing a Red Sox patch on the Yankee's side of the stands or vice versa.:D

MOWGLI
07-10-2009, 11:30
Beware of wearing a Red Sox patch on the Yankee's side of the stands or vice versa.:D

Wore full regalia in the bleachers at Fenway in early June. 3 games. The Sox swept the Yanks, but it was a good time. The Fenway fans are a fun bunch. I only had to contend with one foul mouthed knucklehead. We had a "chat" in the first inning. He shut up the rest of the game. ;)

PS: Sox & Yanks tied for first. Please Lord, do not let the Sox get Roy Halladay. :D

superman

I prefer "adjustment challenged biker vet.":D

Tin Man
Beware the patch police.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413dyDUVZIL.jpg
Patch Police Patch

superman
07-10-2009, 11:40
Wore full regalia in the bleachers at Fenway in early June. 3 games. The Sox swept the Yanks, but it was a good time. The Fenway fans are a fun bunch. I only had to contend with one foul mouthed knucklehead. We had a "chat" in the first inning. He shut up the rest of the game. ;)

PS: Sox & Yanks tied for first. Please Lord, do not let the Sox get Roy Halladay. :D

It's good to be a fan of the New England teams these days. There were a lot of years where they haven't done so well. Knuckleheads are every where. I've worn that patch myself in a few situations.:)