PDA

View Full Version : No Picnic Table

wnderer
07-08-2009, 20:56
I guess I've been spoiled by the shelters, but when I back country camp I really miss the picnic tables. I end up juggling a plate in one hand and fishing around in the food bag with other. I was wondering how others make themselves comfortable when they get to camp. Any suggestions?

Safari
07-08-2009, 21:12
Easy, when i camp i like a bit of home comfort... i've taken a dump in the woods and i drink beer so i'm a man and i cut down lots of trees and fashion myself some rustic style furnishings, a chair, bench to eat off/ put feet up on and a small kennel for the wife... :eek:

Ox97GaMe
07-08-2009, 21:53
I try to find a campsite that is near a large log or rock. I can use that as a table.

I also carry a pack chair occassionally. It is the kind that my Thermarest folds and slides into. If I use that, I just use the ground as the table. I use pack cover, jacket, or shirt to place on the ground to keep dirt/leaves from getting into any of the food items.

Different Socks
07-08-2009, 23:13
When I day hike, I take a small piece of blue padding foam(cheap rolls at Wally-World) that I can sit on in case the ground is wet, rough, muddy, or even has possible tree sap.
I've also been known to take it with me when I'm backpacking.

wnderer
07-08-2009, 23:33
I try to find a campsite that is near a large log or rock. I can use that as a table.

I also carry a pack chair occassionally. It is the kind that my Thermarest folds and slides into. If I use that, I just use the ground as the table. I use pack cover, jacket, or shirt to place on the ground to keep dirt/leaves from getting into any of the food items.

The pack cover! I have one of those.

Bugs Bunny always seems to find that perfect tree stump and checkered table cloth.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 06:27
I guess I've been spoiled by the shelters, but when I back country camp I really miss the picnic tables. I end up juggling a plate in one hand and fishing around in the food bag with other. I was wondering how others make themselves comfortable when they get to camp. Any suggestions?

i just sit on the freakin' ground outside my tent

bloodmountainman
07-09-2009, 06:44
Make use of what's available around your camp for a table.....rocks and logs work great. Dirtbagging is another term for backpacking!:D

bloodmountainman
07-09-2009, 06:52
Dirtbag philosophy....... All you need is all you've got with you, and all you've got with you is all you need.

Dances with Mice
07-09-2009, 08:21
i just sit on the freakin' ground outside my tentI used to do that. Now I have to pick my sitting spot more carefully.

I take care to sit on the ground near a younger, strong looking person.

So they can help me up.

Blissful
07-09-2009, 12:29
My fifty cent thermarest seat cushion from a yard sale. And a rock to cook on.

Blissful
07-09-2009, 12:31
i just sit on the freakin' ground outside my tent

LOL This was funny.

:D

We have got to e-publish a book of famous Lone Wolf quotes from WB. Now that would top Bill Bryson any day. And it would not be boring.

Hooch
07-09-2009, 12:44
LOL This was funny.

:D

We have got to e-publish a book of famous Lone Wolf quotes from WB. Now that would top Bill Bryson any day. And it would not be boring.

We need a thread of LW quotes. Best one I ever saw here saw here was about fording the Kennebec: "Live a little. Ford the freakin' river."

-Ghost-
07-13-2009, 00:41
I agree with LW, the ground is a huge picnic table, it holds a lot of stuff...

River Runner
07-14-2009, 01:44
I usually take a big plastic trash bag that I lay on the ground - I sit on one end & use the extra length next to me to hold anything I don't want laying directly on the ground. A ULA Rain Wrap is really nice for this too.