PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile 1/2 point roads in; trail magic and a free ride south from baxter from me!

frmrnyker
07-08-2009, 23:25
I'm a 2010 hopeful for a thru hike.. at the very least a section hike. Did parts of PA and NJ as a teen.. have been hiking Maine and the Whites...

I'm taking my not so little brother up to Baxter for day hiking and rafting.. He's a NYC kid.. needs a little exposure to the outdoors LOL...

I'll be there from August 7th - 13th.

I know that there are axcess roads at the half way... does anyone know what roads these orginate off of? Route 11 etc..

If you think you might be passing through that area at that time... let me know and maybe I can hook you up with supplies.. magic... :sun

Also if you are ending your thru hike and need a ride south on either the 12th or 13th I can get you to Portland or points along that route.

Saint Alfonzo
07-09-2009, 06:34
Welcome Frmrnyker, get yourself a Maine Atlas and Gazetteer. Well worth the money, and you will use it for years...

The Old Fhart
07-09-2009, 06:52
You are looking for the Katahdin Iron Works Road north of Brownville Junction that leaves RT-11 at N45° 24.550 W069° 03.725. There is a toll house at the start of this private road that will take you to the A.T. near The Hermitage/Gulf Hagus area.

Captain Slider
07-20-2009, 13:21
question.. I would like to hike Katahdin while I am still able.. I want to fly North from Nashville Tn.. and hike Katahdin.. Have been reading airline fees.. would Boston be the best place to fly into.. then rent a car..? This is around the middle of Aug.. any and all info would be very helpful..

Shutterbug
07-20-2009, 17:03
question.. I would like to hike Katahdin while I am still able.. I want to fly North from Nashville Tn.. and hike Katahdin.. Have been reading airline fees.. would Boston be the best place to fly into.. then rent a car..? This is around the middle of Aug.. any and all info would be very helpful..

Bangor, Me is the closest major airport. The fares into Bangor tend to be higher. Delta has several flights from Boston to Bangor every day.

Portland, Me is also closer than Boston. Fares tend to be similar to fares to Boston.

Check Southwest Airlines into Manchester, NH. If you are 65 or older, check the Senior Fares. They are quite reasonable.

David@whiteblaze
07-20-2009, 20:55
When we went to me, we flew into Manchester and rented a car, there is a wal-mart in the area, so we bought a cooler and filled it with sandwich stuff and just left what was left in a hotel room at the end of our trip.

David@whiteblaze
07-20-2009, 20:56
note, was a styrofoam cooler, not real thing

boarstone
07-21-2009, 15:21
Jo_Mary north woods/Jo-Mary campground off Rt.11. Check in at the gate,( hrs. of operation: 6 a.m.-9pm 7 days) pay fee, get info on cooper brook directions. AT cross's here. heavy logging, stay to the right, drive slow, yield to log trucks.

CrumbSnatcher
07-21-2009, 15:36

priceline was cheap for me.

TJ aka Teej
07-21-2009, 21:02
Jo_Mary north woods/Jo-Mary campground off Rt.11. Check in at the gate,( hrs. of operation: 6 a.m.-9pm 7 days) pay fee, get info on cooper brook directions. AT cross's here. heavy logging, stay to the right, drive slow, yield to log trucks.
Take the time to talk with the folks at the gate, ask about current road conditions, let them mark up your gazetteer for you, and watch the hummingbirds!

frmrnyker
07-22-2009, 16:32
Considering the distance... I would avoid flying into boston, thats a good six hour drive. It would prob be worth the money to fly into Portland (jet blue flies in reguarly), rent a car and drive north. I'd plan on overnighting just outside of Baxter the night before your hike - check out northernoutdoors.com & their penobscot outdoor center. They have tent sites, lean to's and cabins (if you really want to be posh). Bonus - showers, a brewery etc.. and its only 2 miles to the gates of Baxter. Warning - get to Baxter EARLY and go during the week!!!