PDA

View Full Version : What do I do about my knees?

ShelterLeopard
07-09-2009, 00:21
So, my knees sometimes hurt. Not all the time, but I'm slightly worried about hiking for five/six months. I was hiking for three days about a week ago, and now my knees hurt occasionally, and definitely a bit while I'm actually hiking, especially downhill. I just jot trekking poles, which should help a bit. Do ace knee braces help? I'm sure at least some of you have knee problems, any advice?

rp1790
07-09-2009, 00:31
I've never actually used them (all sold out along the trail and I couldn't get any!) but everyone I talked to who had them said "Yes, knee braces make a big difference).

I only did 718 miles of the AT this year and started with 100% healthy, painfree knees. Now, 6 weeks after I left the trail, my knees are still weaker than normal. For the first 4 weeks afterwards I still walked like an old man, now I can walk normally.

Mega doses of calcium and glucosamine do help.

fiddlehead
07-09-2009, 00:31
Yes, i believe Ace knee braces work.

I usually find that my knees (and sometimes ankles) hurt at the beginning of a thru hike and then settle in and feel ok.

At the end of a thru-hike, my knees are great and i can even mogul ski that next winter.

That being said, i haven't done a thru-hike of the AT since 2002 when i was 52 years old.

Cassie
07-09-2009, 00:38
Your knees are too important to guess and self-diagnose. See a podiatrist or physical therapist, find out what's wrong and what you need to do to fix it.

Jim Adams
07-09-2009, 00:40
Before you start your thru try getting an adjustment on your legs by a good SPORTS oriented chiropractor. Your knees will last longer if you start the hike with them right.
I struggled with knee problems for a month on my 2002 thru. I tried doctors, physical therapists and an orthopedic but none helped. 20 minutes with a running sports chiropractor and I walked the next 5 months pain free.

geek

Snowleopard
07-09-2009, 09:49
If they hurt you should see a doctor or physical therapist.
If they are fine now, these exercises may help prevent injury:
http://www.bigkneepain.com/knee-exercises.html
Exercises are often needed for athletes to keep opposing pairs of muscles in balance, particularly quads and hamstrings. If for example you do a sport where your quads get strong and your hamstrings don't, your knee may get out of alignment.

Plodderman
07-09-2009, 09:59
I have hiked for many years and have had knee pain but do not use bandages of any kind. Try some exercises that keep the muscles strong around the knee and that will keep knee pain down. Vitamin I helps to.

WalkingStick75
07-09-2009, 11:13
First thing is to see a good sports doctor. I have had knee pain too and I have found that riding a bike is the best pre-hike activity that I can do, it really seams to help. IMO

Blue Jay
07-09-2009, 12:58
Go slow and do not do more than 5-8 miles the first week and not more than 15 for the first month. Also go as light as you can (this one is hard for me). All the other crap is just bandaids and by masking pain may cause you to over use and do damage. Humans evolved to walk, if you are careful this may actually heal your knees. It's not rocket science.

skinny minnie
07-09-2009, 13:05
I have tendinitis in my knee from running and hiking and I would recommend seeing a physical therapist. They can evaluate your gait and any imbalances your muscles have - which are more than likely the culprit of knee pain. They will also show you exercises you can then do at home to strengthen certain areas.

Interestingly enough tons of hikers swear by knee braces... while both the physical therapist I saw and quite a few runners I have talked to (including the Dr. who writes a column for runner's world.com) completely pooh pooh using a brace. The PT did show me how to use leukotape to tape my knee a specific way and it really helps - the tape actually lifts up part of the leg muscle, which helped with my specific problem and eased the pain. I used a brace once and didn't see the same result.

Downhills are a killer on the knees and the trekking poles will help with that. Also, icing the knee after a hike for 10-15 minutes will help - my PT swore by icing. If it gets to be a real problem you could get a prescription from the Dr. for something similar to Ibuprofen that is easier on the stomach/comes in larger doses. Hopefully it won't get to that point. Don't take anything while exercising because that will mask the pain - use it afterward to help with inflammation. Another important thing is to ease into exercise again. Rather than doing another 3 day hike, start with something more gentle and less lengthy (and a lighter pack) and slowly work your way up to longer mileage/steeper hikes.

Like someone else said, self-diagnosis is a bad idea. But definitely doing core and knee strengthening exercises will help - it would just be a good idea to know exactly what will help you most. I would never have guessed that tight hamstrings were excaberating my knee problem - but they definitely are an issue and the PT is the one who showed me how to take care of that.

Homer&Marje
07-09-2009, 14:25
Marje has a bad knee that we have not had checked out yet. For our hike this week she is bringing a soft neoprine brace and a heavier velcro strap knee brace. Together they only weigh about 1 1/2 lbs so it's worth it for her to bring them, in case maybe something happens to the other knee.

That's how we got stuck at Guyot last year for an extra day because she would not have been able to do Guyot to 13 Falls with her knees. On top of South Twin we met ChiefDaddy in the middle of his Thru and he told her to tie bandanas real tight underneath her knee cap as a temporary brace.

Saved her knee till we got back and still grateful for the advice. It's just something you can do if your in the woods and in a pinch.

Bandana, piece of a shirt, compression strap

ShelterLeopard
07-09-2009, 15:48
Go slow and do not do more than 5-8 miles the first week and not more than 15 for the first month. Also go as light as you can (this one is hard for me). All the other crap is just bandaids and by masking pain may cause you to over use and do damage. Humans evolved to walk, if you are careful this may actually heal your knees. It's not rocket science.

That makes sense- I have a really bad habit of pushing a little too far, a bit too fast. (I like to push really far, but I also really like to take zero days. Just lie in my hammock and read.... Ah that sounds so good right now!)

ShelterLeopard
07-09-2009, 15:50
I have tendinitis in my knee from running and hiking and I would recommend seeing a physical therapist. They can evaluate your gait and any imbalances your muscles have - which are more than likely the culprit of knee pain. They will also show you exercises you can then do at home to strengthen certain areas.

Interestingly enough tons of hikers swear by knee braces... while both the physical therapist I saw and quite a few runners I have talked to (including the Dr. who writes a column for runner's world.com) completely pooh pooh using a brace. The PT did show me how to use leukotape to tape my knee a specific way and it really helps - the tape actually lifts up part of the leg muscle, which helped with my specific problem and eased the pain. I used a brace once and didn't see the same result.

Downhills are a killer on the knees and the trekking poles will help with that. Also, icing the knee after a hike for 10-15 minutes will help - my PT swore by icing. If it gets to be a real problem you could get a prescription from the Dr. for something similar to Ibuprofen that is easier on the stomach/comes in larger doses. Hopefully it won't get to that point. Don't take anything while exercising because that will mask the pain - use it afterward to help with inflammation. Another important thing is to ease into exercise again. Rather than doing another 3 day hike, start with something more gentle and less lengthy (and a lighter pack) and slowly work your way up to longer mileage/steeper hikes.

Like someone else said, self-diagnosis is a bad idea. But definitely doing core and knee strengthening exercises will help - it would just be a good idea to know exactly what will help you most. I would never have guessed that tight hamstrings were excaberating my knee problem - but they definitely are an issue and the PT is the one who showed me how to take care of that.

Wait- how do you ice a knee on the trail? Just use creek water with a towel? Because I can't fit a freezer in my pack.

daddytwosticks
07-09-2009, 16:10
Rest your knees...use your poles...:)

skinny minnie
07-09-2009, 16:42
Wait- how do you ice a knee on the trail? Just use creek water with a towel? Because I can't fit a freezer in my pack.

Ha! You were having issues after a 3 day hike and so I suggested scaling back... didn't specify day hikes but that is what I meant!

But you could freeze a water bottle to use just for the first night out on a multi-day trip if you don't mind the pack weight. Maybe a frozen steak? Can't say I've tried that one but it would be a great excuse to pack one and try it! :) Creek water w/a towel is better than nothing.

johnnybgood
07-09-2009, 19:42
Sounds like you might be exerting too much force on the ligaments supporting the knee. Might try hiking again and let your hiking poles help take the stress off those knees.

See a Sports Med Phd. if the pain continues.