PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why I shouldn't buy this pack.

Cassie
07-09-2009, 05:13
I'm looking for a pack for a three-month spring/summer trip. Found a Jansport pack at a second hand store. I know Jansport is better known for school bookbags than long distance hiking packs. The pack looks brand new. 5000 cu in, 600 Denier Polyester & 210 Boxcar Dobby Polyester, 3.75 lbs.

I'm comparing it with a Golite Odessey, 5500 cu in, polyurethane-coated nylon, 3.5 lbs. Both have internal frames. The Jansport is a fifth of the price of the Golite so it's tempting but I don't want a pack where I'm going to have to deal with rips or broken straps and zippers during my hike, either.

What do you think?

Tin Man
07-09-2009, 05:26
You say you are planning a 3 month trip, but you don't mention if this is your first trip or if you have another pack. If you are new to backpacking, you might consider the Jansport and use it for some shakedown hikes to a) see if you even like backpacking and b) see if this pack and your other gear works for you. If you are not new to backpacking and plan to hike in the future, pick a quality pack and it doesn't necessarily have to be a new Golite. You may be able to find a less costly, quality alternative and certainly a lightly used alternative found on eBay or whatever would save you some bucks. Check the gear forums for more ideas.

mister krabs
07-09-2009, 06:19
Because it's too big.

Summit
07-09-2009, 06:51
Hard to advise when you haven't provided the model/name of the Jansport pack. I don't think it's necessarily "too big" because the weight is reasonable, and you can always use the space for bulky light stuff.

What I would be concerned with is how does it fit/ride with a load and what does the construction quality look like to you? Ask the store owner to let you load some weight in it and walk around for a while. If it passes that test it could very well be a good deal.

D'Artagnan
07-09-2009, 09:27
If it's cheap enough, take a gamble. That way, you'll find out what works best for YOU and you won't have wasted a lot of money on a more expensive pack to end up in the same place.

Reid
07-09-2009, 09:39
There should be some reviews somewhere about it.

max patch
07-09-2009, 09:56
I know Jansport is better known for school bookbags than long distance hiking packs.

Back in the day the Jansport external frame packs were very popular.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 10:01
Back in the day the Jansport external frame packs were very popular.

i put 10,000 miles on a jansport D-2. best pack i ever owned

Buzz_Lightfoot
07-09-2009, 10:09
i put 10,000 miles on a jansport D-2. best pack i ever owned

I had one as well. Actually still have it in my "gear closet". I should take it out for old times sake. :)

jrnj5k
07-09-2009, 10:15
buy quality gear that lasts. if you buy a jansport backpacking pack its like buying a spoon from a fork company some things always fall through the cracks....

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 11:42
buy quality gear that lasts. if you buy a jansport backpacking pack its like buying a spoon from a fork company some things always fall through the cracks....

have you ever owned one or you just talkin'?

Nean
07-09-2009, 11:49
I don't want a pack where I'm going to have to deal with rips or broken straps and zippers during my hike, either.

What do you think?

I'd wonder why you are looking at the golite?:)

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 11:53
I'd wonder why you are looking at the golite?:)

yeah really. if you're gonna spend $200, get a ULA pack

Bearpaw
07-09-2009, 12:05

Absolutely. The ULA Catalyst is 4600 ci and carries extremely well. 3 pounds, $225.

Summit
07-09-2009, 12:21
i put 10,000 miles on a jansport D-2. best pack i ever ownedI've still got my D3 in the closet (several thousand miles on it). I can't remember the difference between the two.

Hooch
07-09-2009, 12:26
yeah really. if you're gonna spend $200, get a ULA packAgreed.

Absolutely. The ULA Catalyst is 4600 ci and carries extremely well. 3 pounds, $225.I have a Catalyst and it's the most comfortable pack I've ever carried. I've got the Circuit on my wish list. Anyone want to get me one for my birthday? :rolleyes:

I've still got my D3 in the closet (several thousand miles on it). I can't remember the difference between the two.The difference between a D3 and a D2 is 1. :D

Summit
07-09-2009, 12:26
buy quality gear that lasts. if you buy a jansport backpacking pack its like buying a spoon from a fork company some things always fall through the cracks....That's a pretty assertive statement considering the date of manufacture of the pack is not revealed - Jansport made great external frame packs a few years ago.

Nean
07-09-2009, 13:41

Agree w/ that. Got one given to me last year- I'm too cheap to by a new one- and I must say I was surprised at how well it carried. :eek:
I don't buy golite because I don't care for the people they target and the way they target them. :( That may only make sense to me.:o

jrnj5k
07-09-2009, 13:48
That's a pretty assertive statement considering the date of manufacture of the pack is not revealed - Jansport made great external frame packs a few years ago.

yah I guess it was a little strong.

Cassie
07-09-2009, 14:15
I'm replacing my beloved but very worn Golite Gust. I used it on my A.T. thru and sectioned most of CDT and PCT with it. It's perfect but now I'd like something with a little padding. The ULA packs aren't large enough.

Jansport still manufactures and sells the pack according to their web site. I only found one review of it by a long distance hiker, most reviews seem to be by weekenders and people using it for travel. To me that's a red flag. If it were a great pack wouldn't more long distance hikers be using it?

One review noted it's not waterproof, doesn't that mean it'll absorb water and be even heavier wet?

Doctari
07-09-2009, 14:29
I loved my now retired Jansport, also second the ULA pack if you are going to spend that kind of money.

beakerman
07-09-2009, 16:17
I'm replacing my beloved but very worn Golite Gust. I used it on my A.T. thru and sectioned most of CDT and PCT with it. It's perfect but now I'd like something with a little padding. The ULA packs aren't large enough.

Jansport still manufactures and sells the pack according to their web site. I only found one review of it by a long distance hiker, most reviews seem to be by weekenders and people using it for travel. To me that's a red flag. If it were a great pack wouldn't more long distance hikers be using it?

One review noted it's not waterproof, doesn't that mean it'll absorb water and be even heavier wet?

As far as other folks not using it goes I don't buy into that. There are many quality items out there that aren't popular rigth now. Not because there is anything wrong with them they just aren't the thing to own.

I see the same thing with paintbal guns. There are several quality markers out there that people just don't buy because they don't have the latest bell and or whistle. This really goes for all gear there is some new and improved widget on this pack or that knife that you simply can not do without. Just look at the basic pack. Most folks are using internal frame packs today. I have nothing against them, I'm just using this as a generalized example: Tell me what measureable functionality does an interal frame back give you (don't say comfort because that is somewhat subjective) that an external frame pack does not provide or in some cases exceed? Are they easier to pack? Not really they are sensitive to where the load is or you end up with your kit poking you in the back or you are all lopsided. Do they haul more gear? no they don't I can strap twice as much kit in/on an extrernal pack as the average backpacker can with an internal frame pack...and so on.

Just because the weekender crowd is the group buying and reviewing it means nothing. The only thing you could likely say is the weekender isn't willing to pay $200+ for a pack they use for 3 days at a clip and maybe once a month or what ever. Same with folks using it for travel--I have had some pretty expensive luggage get completerly trashed by bagage handlers at the airport. they actually broke a Pelican case--if youi know what that is then you know they did something significant to it then claimed it wasnormal wear and tear. I don't fly with expensive luggage anymore I can't afford to replace it all the time. Maybe your travelling reviewers are folks like me and want the convinience of a pack but don't want to see TSA shred $200.

Long winded I know basically if it looks tough enough to do the job and the price is right buy it. Everybody has opinions on gear and they all think they have the best stuff in the world...why else would they have purchased it if it wasn't? That would mean they got swindled somehow if they didn't think their kit was the best--just like cars and everything else we buy.

Summit
07-09-2009, 16:36
Is this the one or similar? Doesn't look too bad from the picture.

http://www.jansport.com/js_product_detail_html.php?cid=3&pid=TPT7&color=6248626

or

http://www.jansport.com/js_product_detail_html.php?cid=30&pid=TRK2

summermike
07-09-2009, 16:57
It's the second one, the Big Bear. I'm worried about the lack of waterproofing, though.

Can you truly waterproof a polyester pack by using one of the Scotchguard sprays or something similar?

Reid
07-09-2009, 17:02
It's the second one, the Big Bear. I'm worried about the lack of waterproofing, though.

Can you truly waterproof a polyester pack by using one of the Scotchguard sprays or something similar?

I wouldn't let that be a big deal. If it's completley waterproof then whatever water gets in can't get out and would require hanging everything out to dry when it does and will get wet.

Summit
07-09-2009, 17:39

Can you truly waterproof a polyester pack by using one of the Scotchguard sprays or something similar?Better to just go with a good pack cover and put stuff you don't want to get wet in sylnylon sacks:

http://www.rei.com/product/777723

They come in different sizes and colors. The larger one will hold a compressed sleeping bag or all your clothes.

beakerman
07-09-2009, 17:40
Is there really such a thing as a waterproof pack? Sure water resistant but I'm talking toss it in the creek and not have your stuff inside get wet type of waterproof? I know they make the bags for kayaking and canoeing but is there a pack made that way. I know the dry bags I used to use when I canoed a lot were pretty heavy and that seems to run counter to backpacking in my mind.

hikingtime
07-09-2009, 18:01
I have owned Goite and Jansport, and the Jansport is much, much more durable. If the pack is comfortable and a good price, I say buy the Jansport. It will give many years of service, and you won't have to baby it. Also, the prices at second hand stores are not set in stone. Offer a little less than the asking price and I bet you get an outstanding deal.

Cassie
07-09-2009, 18:04
Yeah, I meant water-resistant. I assume that's what the polyurethane coating does on the Golite Odyssey.

Franco
07-09-2009, 18:53
Beakerman
Obviously an external pack works for you, however keep in mind that many here would have used an external at some point and don't do so any longer. Fashion victims ? I doubt it...
On an easy and wide path some indeed still prefer an external, however if bushbashing or scrambling a body hugging internal works better for most.
For difficult terrain, say high altitude hiking, the closer the center of gravity and your body center are , the better it is. Not only for balance but also to increase stability and reduce energy consumption.
See this link on some science on backpack design.
http://aarnpacks.com/sports_science/index.html (http://aarnpacks.com/sports_science/index.html)
Franco

beakerman
07-10-2009, 01:12
Beakerman
Obviously an external pack works for you, however keep in mind that many here would have used an external at some point and don't do so any longer. Fashion victims ? I doubt it...
On an easy and wide path some indeed still prefer an external, however if bushbashing or scrambling a body hugging internal works better for most.
For difficult terrain, say high altitude hiking, the closer the center of gravity and your body center are , the better it is. Not only for balance but also to increase stability and reduce energy consumption.
See this link on some science on backpack design.
http://aarnpacks.com/sports_science/index.html (http://aarnpacks.com/sports_science/index.html)
Franco

Umm...how can I say this nicely...you completely missed the point.

I was using that as a very general example. Not everyone that uses an internal frame pack uses those features where the internal frame pack clearly excels. Do you think everyone you see on the AT is bushwhacking? That however is not the argument. My point was not about internal vs external it was how many folks fall victim to marketing and many good products are not used because of poor marketing or superior marketing by the competitor. If you are humping a lot of gear the external is the way to go. Like I said I can strap twice as much gear on an external as an internal--how do you think I know that? Not that humping a 75 pound pack is the way to go it's just one area that the external frame out performs the internal frame pack--a for example case. It just so happens the OP is trying to decide if the older style used internal frame pack is a good bargain compared to a more expensive newer one. My example was a poor choice.

Like I said if you ask 5 owners of competing products each will tell you how the other 4 got screwed or are stupid or some crap like that. I don't care if its backpacks, trekking poles or bubble gum. It's an inate thing for humans to justify whatever they do as superior to the alternatives even if they are wrong. Humans have an incredible capacity to self validate each decision they make. You do it and I do it.

Downhill Trucker
07-10-2009, 01:19

Jansport will replace any of their pcks, any time, for any reason. They have an LL Bean/REI/JCrew type warranty policy. Mail it in, wait a few weeks and they give you a replacement or next closes model.

I would get the pack I think Jansport makes great stuff. If you do not like it, IM me and I'll probably buy it from you for my winter backpacking.

harryfred
07-10-2009, 01:30

Short answer I'd say yes. I have a wind breaker I bought at Dunams for $2 mark down and siliconed it and it makes a good rain coat unless it starts hammering heavy.

cwayman1
07-10-2009, 16:57
yeah i've heard that jansport has a pretty kick-awesome return/ replacement policy

and for what it's worth... i noticed that in like to first episode of Man vs. Wild, bear is using a jansport backpack :D

cwayman1
07-10-2009, 16:59
as well, one of my professors has like two jansport bags that he swears by

i say get it!