PDA

View Full Version : July 12th, 2009 good night for meteors.

Buzz_Lightfoot
07-09-2009, 10:42
If you can be out on this night look to the skies. Five normally average meteor showers will all coincide on that night. There is a good chance for a decent night of viewing.

Check out http://www.imo.net/calendar/2009 for some info.

BL

snowhoe
07-09-2009, 10:45
If you can be out on this night look to the skies. Five normally average meteor showers will all coincide on that night. There is a good chance for a decent night of viewing.

Check out http://www.imo.net/calendar/2009 for some info.

BL

BL, I dont have my PHD in astology (hell I cant even spell it) but that is one crazy website. But I think I got out of it what you talking about. I will check out the meteor shower thanks.

beakerman
07-09-2009, 13:00
cool I'll have to let my boys know to go out that night and look up...

Buzz_Lightfoot
07-09-2009, 13:26
BL, I dont have my PHD in astology (hell I cant even spell it) but that is one crazy website. But I think I got out of it what you talking about. I will check out the meteor shower thanks.

:) It is a bit much isn't it. No, I don't normally read that site. I have an amataur radio operator's license and one splinter group of that hobby actually bounces radio signals off the ionized trails left my meteors. I was reading a magazine on the hobby when I stumbled upon a prediction that 07/12/09 has the potential to be an exceptional night. No, I'm not carting out the radio gear that night. Even I am not that nuts :sun but I use their predictions to tell when to look to the skies.

BL

Different Socks
07-10-2009, 09:06
I hate to bust your bubble, but if you scroll further down the website and look at the peak times for each of the meteor showers for this time of year, there are not 5 showers going on all at once on any given date of July, much less the entire year, or any year past, present or future.
Because of the technical jargon, you may have included the Southern Hemisphere's showers with our Northern Hemisphere's showers.

Buzz_Lightfoot
07-10-2009, 09:09
I hate to bust your bubble, but if you scroll further down the website and look at the peak times for each of the meteor showers for this time of year, there are not 5 showers going on all at once on any given date of July, much less the entire year, or any year past, present or future.
Because of the technical jargon, you may have included the Southern Hemisphere's showers with our Northern Hemisphere's showers.

So much for trusting print print media.

Different Socks
07-10-2009, 11:16
I gotta admit, it would have been a great show!

Buzz_Lightfoot
07-10-2009, 14:19
I gotta admit, it would have been a great show!

Thinkng about it I do not think that they were saying that all 5 would PEAK on the 12th. Many showers have a rather broad date range... some up to a couple weeks or more. What gets published is usually that day of the peak... i.e., the Persieds of around August 12th or so each year. I suspect that they meant that there were 5 overlapping showers not that all 5 peaks would coincide.

BL