PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the smokies

tucker0104
07-09-2009, 11:08
How does everyone rate the AT hike through the smokies? I am going to hike it in a couple weeks and have ever even stepped into the park before.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 11:39
fairly easy walkin'. the northern half is the best

Ox97GaMe
07-09-2009, 12:09
It is pretty much a ridgewalk most of the way. You wil be under the canopy most of the time, meaning there will not be many views. There are about half a dozen places where you can get decent views. Trail doesnt go near any of the waterfalls either. In my opinion, th AT misses most of the tru beauty represented by the SMNP.

On the other hand, it is a nice walk that should take about a week to complete. Enjoy the views whenever you can. Also recommend taking the side trip over to Mt Cammerer fire tower.

Plodderman
07-09-2009, 13:29
Depends on how you go. If you are heading North from Fontana your fist day will be mostly uphill. After that it is not to difficult. In comparison to the rest of the AT the Smokies are not that difficult.

We took five days with only a short 4 mile day on the last day. We saw eight bears and had a blast.

double j
07-09-2009, 21:23
its a cake walk . going out of fontana isnt bad at all. i avg around 16 to 17 miles a day going up to thunder head mt. was a climb and up to clingmans dome was a climb but nothin to stress over. just enjoy your walk. didnt see any bears