PDA

View Full Version : How Are Loft Mtn Sites?

Rainyb
07-09-2009, 17:41
I just reserved a tent only site at Loft Mtn Campground for a week mid August. I have read some reviews of this campground, but was wondering what people here thought. I will be there a week to do some hiking, I can't carry a heavy pack because of back issues, so I try to do small sections during days. I'm also concerned about the ticks. I think I will give everything a good wash with permethrin, including my tent and sleeping bag.

The tent site I reserved has the AT running pretty close to it so I was hoping a few here would be able to tell me a bit about this campground, the sites, and the trails.

Peace,
Rainyb

Lone Wolf
07-09-2009, 17:43
I just reserved a tent only site at Loft Mtn Campground for a week mid August. I have read some reviews of this campground, but was wondering what people here thought. I will be there a week to do some hiking, I can't carry a heavy pack because of back issues, so I try to do small sections during days. I'm also concerned about the ticks. I think I will give everything a good wash with permethrin, including my tent and sleeping bag.

The tent site I reserved has the AT running pretty close to it so I was hoping a few here would be able to tell me a bit about this campground, the sites, and the trails.

Peace,
Rainyb
i've stayed there a few times. it's nice. i like lewis mtn. campground better cuz it's much smaller and cozy

johnnybgood
07-09-2009, 18:12
:welcome Rainyb , hopefully your questions will be answered.

I personally think its the best campground in SNP.
I like sites with more privacy and my favorites are on the less crowded inner loops where waist high scrubbery can shield you from your neighbor.

The tent sites are also very nice and can be found on the A loop as you enter the campground on the right. These sites you must carry your camping gear a little ways to reach them but its worth it.

A few years back they began to take reservations for certain sites so if you find one you like check to see if it can be reserved.

johnnybgood
07-09-2009, 18:29
Also Rainyb there are plenty of great day hikes in the southern section of SNP. When entering the Park Ranger will hand you a brochure of the park and inside is a guide that highlights trails for each section of the park.

Of course I would jump on the AT and head south to Doyles River Trail only a few miles away. .

Ol Mole
07-09-2009, 20:45
Loft Mtn has some nice tent sites close to the trail. The campground was built in the 60's. I remmeber as a boy running back to my parents while on a hike to report that there were bull dozers in the trail ahead. Naturally they thought I was nuts until they saw them. There was a beautiful shelter nearby where we were headed called Flat Rock shelter. I have many fond memories of it and it was located on Big Flat Mtn. It was removed to make way for the Loft Mtn federal project. South of the campground is Doyle River Cabin and trail. The falls on the trail are nice.

PS Lone Wolf is correct....Lewis Mtn is the best campground.

Rain Man
07-09-2009, 21:30
When my daughter and I hiked the AT thru the SNP a couple of summers ago, we spent 3 nights at Loft Mtn Campground and liked it. My wife was our support vehicle, so we were being slack packed each day and returning to the campground at night. It had a convenient bath house, a "store" with pay showers and pretty good supply possibilities (but it closed early each night IMHO), and a "wayside" gift shop and restaurant. The AT ran about 20 or 30 feet from our tent site, as I recall.

I'd go back.

Rain:sunMan

DGG
07-09-2009, 22:40
Loft Mtn. is a beautiful campground, but when my wife & I stayed there a few years ago, we were disappointed to discover that portable generators are now allowed at sites on some loops during some hours of the day. Not surprisingly, the "campers" with generators were usually in RVs. Gotta have that TV, apparently.

Dennis

Skyline
07-09-2009, 23:31
The tent-only sites at Loft are roughly parallel to the AT as it begins to wind its way around the campground along its southern border. IMHO these are better than the sites where you might have huge RV generators for neighbors. Hopefully that's where your reserved site is.

I'm assuming you will arrive in a vehicle, car-camp, and then do dayhikes in the Park. The parking area for the sites mentioned above are up on the A-Loop, and require just a moderate walk downhill to reach the sites. There are a couple of bear poles down there for hanging food (for those who hike in and don't have vehicles nearby for food storage).

There is a decently-stocked campstore about a quarter mile down the road from these sites where you can buy food, beer, ice, and other supplies. Further down the road is Loft Mt. Wayside--where you can get short-order food and souvenirs.

Lots of nice dayhikes within a 25-mile radius. Of course there's the AT, with multiple access points. I highly recommend the Doyle River/Jones Run/AT loop hike south of Loft Mt. Also anything involving the Big Run watershed (several days worth of different hikes there). Further south is the Moormans River Trail (fire road) with several loop possibilities. Further north is the South River Trail/Pocosin Hollow area.

Not to try to change your mind, but I agree with Lone Wolf. The best CG in SNP is at Lewis Mt. Only about 30 sites, very cozy. Also some almost-rustic cabins, a small campstore, a picnic area, and the AT circles it as well. I particularly like campsite 18, with its own unblazed trail to the AT.