PDA

View Full Version : why not a higher rated bag

pahillbillybear
07-09-2009, 23:00
What would be the problem with an all purpose mummy sleeping bag, something highly compressable, about 2 pounds, a 25-30 degree rating and NOT down. In cold weather, couldn't I keep warm with wool long underwear and anything else I could layer. In warmer weather, just unzip the bag a bit or not layer as much. Wouldn't I save a bit of money and find myself less likely to be caught inappropriate equipment because I would have to wait until later in the year to mail my winter equipment home. Am I wrong on this rationale? Thanks to all again. Hillbilly

YoungMoose
07-09-2009, 23:17
i havent really done a lot of overnight backpacking with my bag but its a 20degree bag. But thats what im planning on doing.

gravy4601
07-09-2009, 23:42
if you keep it compressed all the time it loose's it's density all the fiber's get compressed and no longer hold the heat try leaving it laying out for a while or loosly packing in a pillowcase for storage to let them fluff up and see if that helps

Egads
07-10-2009, 04:48
What would be the problem with an all purpose mummy sleeping bag, something highly compressible, about 2 pounds, a 25-30 degree rating and NOT down. In cold weather, couldn't I keep warm with wool long underwear and anything else I could layer.Hillbilly

You could give this approach a try, but I think you will be unsatisfied with the results. You will probably get a variety of opinions, but here is mine.

1. Synthetic bags are more susceptible to damage by compression than down bags are.
2. It occasionally hits the teens at night in the southern AT into April. Do you think a 25-30 deg bag with long underwear will keep you warm enough to sleep well?
3. No mention of the brand of bag. Some manufacturer's are more optimistic with their ratings than others
4. Down bags generally have a wider comfort range than synthetic bags