PDA

View Full Version : How many of you hike alone?

Ridgeline
07-10-2009, 09:15
I know most people start thru-hikes alone, but I am wondering about hiking for just a 2-3 day section hike or sometimes not even on the AT(a short 10-20 mile backcountry trail for example). I like to get out in woods for 2-3 days and hike by myself, make camp with several hours of daylight left and just relax and read a good book. My family and friends think I am nuts to do this. My response is always "you're welcome to come with me" and with none of them being in to hiking that usually ends the conversation...lol

Basically I am just wondering, am I weird for doing this? Or, do you guys like to hike alone as well. I personally just enjoy getting away from the noise of "life" from time to time. Feel free to let me know your thoughts on the matter.

DAJA
07-10-2009, 09:20
Not weird at all, I do it every chance I get... At minimum, at least one night a week... Two more weeks and i'm as free as a bird with no more work obligations, so I plan to be out often...

However, my g/f enjoys it as well, so often she wants to come along, which is great, but sometimes I need to tell her this one is all mine...

Pedaling Fool
07-10-2009, 09:21
I hike alone because people don't like me and I don't like them.

DAJA
07-10-2009, 09:23

Yeah thats a big part of it for me too... I'm not much of a people person, although I do have a very close nit group of friends with similar interests... But my schedule is much more flexible than most, so I still get lots of time to myself...

snowhoe
07-10-2009, 09:51
Well I dont mind it to an extent. I like to talk to people and to be honest when camp is set up my belly full and I have done what ever, I get kinda bored. I think that having someone to BS with around a camp fire is fun and relaxing.

ShelterLeopard
07-10-2009, 09:52
I love to hike alone. But I also don't mind meeting people in shelters at night. I was thinking of starting my thru with someone just for the first week or two, to get into the swing of things. But mostly, I hike alone.

hikingshoes
07-10-2009, 09:57
lol,i hike alone because no one want to hike with a fat out of shape dude,but it be nice to find someone to hike with or that is just getting back into hiking again.

ShelterLeopard
07-10-2009, 10:01
lol,i hike alone because no one want to hike with a fat out of shape dude,but it be nice to find someone to hike with or that is just getting back into hiking again.

I like hiking with out of shape people! (When I'm not pressed for time) I like walking pretty slowly. Besides, I'm pretty out of shape myself.

mudcap
07-10-2009, 10:04
I hike alone all the time,I am a loner by nature. I go out of my way to hike trails that I know have very little use so I can be alone.

Trailweaver
07-10-2009, 10:07
I hike alone because I can never find anyone able to go with me at the time I'm ready to go. I also hike very slowly, and don't want to hold up my more energetic friends. So when I go out, I meet people on the trail, often hike a while with them, and experience "trail life" in that way. I also meet people at the shelters to talk. I love the solitude but sometimes miss having a hiking "buddy."

Saint Alfonzo
07-10-2009, 10:20
I also hike alone. I like to tent out at the lean-tos at the end of the day,and i'll be the first one looking for fire wood. I like a fire at night, it helps me relax. And I admit, I like to B.S. with other hikers, other than that I hike alone.

JohnnyB
07-10-2009, 10:24
I like to tell my wife I'm hiking alone on the AT. Then I fly to South America and hook up with young ladies...

World-Wide
07-10-2009, 10:28
Basically I am just wondering, am I weird for doing this? Or, do you guys like to hike alone as well. I personally just enjoy getting away from the noise of "life" from time to time. Feel free to let me know your thoughts on the matter.

"Social-Beast" by nature, but I love hiking alone. Some days I want to blaze-the-trail for a cardiovascular work-out and some days I want to take it slow and enjoy my surroundings. Since I don't usually decide what I want to do until I'm on trail, I'd hate to be selfish and hold someone to my expectation of how the day's hike should be! I often hike with others, but my best hikes are when the day goes as I've planned! :D W-W

Manwich
07-10-2009, 10:42
I prefer friends.

It's just walking.

Zac
07-10-2009, 10:57
I hike alone because I'm the oddball in my group that likes to take long walks in the woods. Last walk on the Ouachita Trail didn't see anyone for 3 days. It's really nice to unplug from it all.

harryfred
07-10-2009, 11:12
I hike alone all the time. My wife will take short afternoon hikes with me, or meet me where a trail intersects with a campground to spend the night; but other than that no one in my family has ever enjoyed being out doors like I do. I hike all around south central PA. I like the AT for the people I meet and I like the other trails for the solitude. I love to explore there are things you can only see by hiking 10 miles. I try to get people at church to join me. I always get "I'd like to but I have a bad back/knees/foot/yada yada, or lol I"M TOO OLD."

Raichle
07-10-2009, 11:27
Alone hiker sometimes and enjoy it, you can do when you want and when you want with no negotiations ......
But I do enjoy taking my kids along every ounce and awhile; They seem to enjoy it.

Strategic
07-10-2009, 11:30
I'm a solo hiker by nature, because I hate to have to conform my hiking to what others do. I want to go at my own pace and greatly enjoy being able to stop and look or hike on to whatever destination I like without having to worry about a partner. It's not that I'm anti-social, far from it; I love to have company in the evening (I hang at or near shelters a lot for the social interaction) but on the trail itself, it's strictly solo.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, of course, but I've finally convinced her that it's safe and I know what I'm doing. Some of my best times on the AT have been camping solo at great places (a wonderful night at Fingerboard shelter comes to mind) or sitting on a viewpoint by myself and just experiencing it without having to interact with anyone else. It's a kind of mind-clearing for me, a reset button for my normal life (I'm a teacher, so normal life is very social and interactive.)

Trust me on this, you're not weird and you're certainly not alone in liking to be alone on the trail.

Feral Bill
07-10-2009, 11:40
Hiking alone lets me totally set my own pace and agenda. I need that sometimes. Other times I go with friends and family. They are very different experiences, both positive.

ShelterLeopard
07-10-2009, 11:44
There are just a lot of things that are really nice about hiking solo. You can always pick your pace- beast it, or go seven miles, you need a zero, no one will protest. Sometimes people get annoying, you can join up with other people on the trail for a short time, get up and go to bed whenever you want. Etc... On the other hand, it is good to hike with someone, because it makes it harder to quit- just the simple idea of hiking with someone makes things vastly different. I think people who hike in pairs probably leave the trail slightly less often than solo people- some just don't have what it takes to hike alone. (Sorry to ramble on and on)

ShelterLeopard
07-10-2009, 11:45
But it is fun to have someone meet you for a day or two- it's so weird to be hiking alone, or in the presense of people you've never met before, then see a friend waiting for you at the trailhead in DWG!

modiyooch
07-10-2009, 12:26
I am female, I have 400 miles left on the AT and the majority of my hikes have been alone. I hiked alone mainly in the beginning because I couldn't find anyone that shared my passion. When I married, my husband started hiking with me and my kids didn't have a choice. I still go on outings on my own when my husband has other obligations, or now that my kids are old enough to decline.

I don't mind being alone other than the fact if there is an emergency. I typically hike to near sunset, so my evenings are spent pitching, eating, hanging food and then sleeping.

SkraM
07-10-2009, 13:37
If it's wierd to hike solo than I'm weird ... and proud of it :-). I solo hike 4-7 days at a time, several times a year. The alone-time is a big draw for me. I also prefer to camp away from the shelters. I wonder how many of you solo hikers camp in or around the shelters or do you prefer camping solo too?

Downhill Trucker
07-10-2009, 13:55
I know most people start thru-hikes alone, but I am wondering about hiking for just a 2-3 day section hike or sometimes not even on the AT(a short 10-20 mile backcountry trail for example). I like to get out in woods for 2-3 days and hike by myself, make camp with several hours of daylight left and just relax and read a good book. My family and friends think I am nuts to do this. My response is always "you're welcome to come with me" and with none of them being in to hiking that usually ends the conversation...lol

Not weird at all. Sometimes friends go with me, but most of the time I go alone. On the AT youre rarely alone anyway. I get the same "weird" comments but most of these folk have no concept of hiking.

bloodmountainman
07-10-2009, 14:52
I have to go alone these days. All my old outdoor patners either got old and discovered the couch, or have passed out of this world. The main reason I joined WB was to maybe find some people who I could enjoy hiking with. I have found some success in that endeavor.

leeki pole
07-10-2009, 15:31
I simply cannot understand why one would want to hike in a group. To me that defies all logic. If I wanted a group, I would be a Boy Scout leader and probably spend more time babysitting, much like a group on the Trail. I'm too old for that. I think it has something to do with your workplace and getting away from the drudgery and interrelationships you deal with on a day to day basis. The last thing I want to deal with is a big group at a shelter.

Summit
07-10-2009, 15:53
I like to tell my wife I'm hiking alone on the AT. Then I fly to South America and hook up with young ladies...SMASH! Dream bubble broken! :D

Summit
07-10-2009, 15:59
I enjoy hiking alone most of the time. No one to keep the same pace with is relaxing. I equally like evening camps all alone or in the vicinity of other hikers.

This past spring Christus Cowboy and I did a 54 mile hike together and had a great time and enjoyed each other's companionship immensely. That has been the rare experience for me over the years however as most folks who have said "Hey, I'd like to go backpacking with you" never get around to committing, no matter what.

So I got used to solo backpacking, and by golly I like it a lot! :)

Speakeasy
07-10-2009, 17:07

Well, I'm not a fat out of shape dude, I'm a chick in pretty good shape but I'd be more than happy to hike with you if we ever meet out on the trail:banana

I'll be heading out of Springer next 3 Mar so I'll keep an eye out for ya:D:D

Speakeasy

Speakeasy
07-10-2009, 17:13
And to answer the OP I hike alone, I Snowboard alone, I Snorkel alone and have also been known to drink alone:D I find that human contact (for me of course) to be somewhat of a necessary evil that I nonetheless occasionally enjoy:cool:. However, for the most part I enjoy my own company. My mother used to think I was crazy if I mentioned dining alone or, God forbid, going to a movie alone (you're not supposed to talk anyway) - the poor dear;)

Speakeasy

bullseye
07-10-2009, 17:35
I hike to unwind, and keeping a certain pace or schedule for someone else goes against that for me. Most times I couldn't find anyone available when I planned a trip so solo hiking just kinda happened. Now after all these years I don't want to be hassled with all that. I just throw some gear together and I'm gone:D!

Ghosthiker
07-10-2009, 18:01
I enjoy both ways, alone and with others. Sometimes being alone on the trail gives me such a chance to unwind and reload. If someone is at a shelter or campsite, that's fine, too. My wife has recently been on a couple of short over-nighters with me. It's fine for the company, but when it walkin' time, it can be different trying to maintain a common speed.

Dogwood
07-10-2009, 18:11
If you think you are weird for hiking alone than that must make me very weird because I start out all my hikes starting alone, but once other hikers learn of my handsome good looks, abundant trail food, and witty personality they just can't keep from wanting to be near me.

Dogwood
07-10-2009, 18:15
While hiking alone certainly has the benefits of greater solitude and less coordination it can get lonely on some trails(not the AT). I recently thru-hiked the Hayduke Trl for almost 2 months. During sometimes I wouldn't see another human much less a hiker for almost up to 2 weeks at a time.

CowHead
07-10-2009, 18:30
I start off that way but there's hikers everywhere the only time it's really quiet is when I do a winter hike

Ranc0r
07-10-2009, 18:32
I remember too well the social caterpiller that was hiking with scouts. For very good reasons, the youngest/oldest/slowest kid HAD to go first, and everyone had to stay behind them, stopping in the middle of a hill climb 'cause someone didn't pack their gear well, not being able to stop at the top because we were already running late - yeah, I hike alone a lot now. My wife walks as fast as I do, but doesn't do backpacks. My first son walks well, but tires easily if the walking isn't flat. My youngest needs a stroller. I hike alone and like it just fine. I also enjoy the people you meet and talk with, opportunities that might not avail themselves if you are in a group, filling a particular shelter, trying to keep tents close together, etc. Nothing wrong with hiking alone, as long as you let folks know where you are and where to look for the body and when to expect contact/your return.

Surplusman
07-10-2009, 19:05
I hike alone because with my bum right leg, I can only manage a few miles a day. I really don't have to rush because some dink up front wants to set speed records. Even before my stroke, I hated hiking with a group, for the same reason. I'll be friendly with people that I meet, and I have a good time. Beats the hell out of lying in a hospital bed for a month and having to learn how to walk again.

"Down to Gehenna
or up to the Throne,
He travels best
Who travels alone."
--Rudyard Kipling

Different Socks
07-10-2009, 19:07
I hike/backpack alone b/c there are not too many hardcore hikers where I live. I love being on a trail and calling it "my" trail. Funny thing is, if I'm at a gorgeous view, or a mtn top, or incredible weather happens, or anything else, many times I wish there was someone there to share it with.

woodsy
07-10-2009, 20:19
How many of you hike alone?
Not me, never.
Way too dangerous
Could fall down and get hurt
could get attacked by a big Black Bear or Mountain Lion
Could get lost in the dark in big black woods
Cell phone could die and nobody would save me
Its way too scary out there alone.....:eek:

johnnybgood
07-10-2009, 20:41
I also hike/backpack solo for reasons already given- except for the last one.
1) absolutely nobody I know likes hiking.
2) Being alone on the trail has its merits, HYOH.
3) It clears the mind......exercises the body.
4) Sometimes make friends with shelter mice.

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2009, 21:03

Thanks John I never knew, but I somewhat suspected your answer. There is a pill for that its called GoodOldLadiesSyndrome or GOLF oh damn you are a Guy well SOL.. Can't remember the acronyms and right now a favorite Aka Alligator is rolling over and laughing in in his hiking boots at this stupid answer. STBU.

Damn did I just write that? Oh I have to tell people before I get banned.

DavidNH
07-10-2009, 21:32

NEGA hiker.. hiking solo I think is the best way to go, especially when you have the experience and confidence that you don't need a group or pal along as a crutch. Imagine the independence. Me, I started and finished my AT hike alone.

David

fiddlehead
07-10-2009, 21:56
Hiking is similar to jogging in that it is a lonely sport.

Sure you can go with others, but then you have to coordinate a time when you can go together, take breaks together, eat when you both agree it's "time", walk the same pace, camp at the same place (not everyone prefers my method of camping where there is a view and away from most water sources), you'll also see less wildlife if you are talking, etc.

The advantages are, it's easy to set up a shuttle and you have someone to talk to.

So, i usually will plan a hike alone and if someone wants to come with me, fine. If not, and i meet someone on the trail that fits my way of hiking, fine too. (as long as we both want to)

I try to keep things simple.

Last week i hiked with a Kiwi (New Zealander) and it was great. He was a hunter and taught me a lot as he examined many things that i normally overlook. (ruts in the ground, ant hills, etc)
But coordinating it all wasn't so easy as we both have kids.

I may get a chance to head out this weekend for a hike. I won't bother to tell anyone cause i'll have to go when i can get away.

simon
07-10-2009, 22:06
i like being alone.

CANtucky
07-10-2009, 22:17
I love hiking alone! Sometimes a friend will want to come along and it actually makes me less excited to go. But I agree with Different Socks, when I stop and lunch on a ridge with a view I always want to say "Hey! Isn't this great?" to someone.

Skyline
07-10-2009, 22:22
I like to mix it up.

About 50% of the time alone, 50% of the time with one or more people. On a long hike I'll camp near a shelter (or designated multi-site camping area) one night and find a primitive site in between shelters the next night.

excuses
07-10-2009, 23:28
No one around wants to go when i go. sometimes i like to go long hours other times i goof off and watch the display of nature.

Pedaling Fool
07-11-2009, 08:34
Thanks John I never knew, but I somewhat suspected your answer. There is a pill for that its called GoodOldLadiesSyndrome or GOLF oh damn you are a Guy well SOL.. Can't remember the acronyms and right now a favorite Aka Alligator is rolling over and laughing in in his hiking boots at this stupid answer. STBU.

Damn did I just write that? Oh I have to tell people before I get banned.
Thanks for your concern, but I like my life; I don't want to be surrounded by idiots.

woodsy
07-11-2009, 08:54
I don't want to be surrounded by idiots like myself.

:D Thanks for the warning ;)

Pedaling Fool
07-11-2009, 09:07
Yeah, that's what I meant to say:D

Wise Old Owl
07-11-2009, 09:31
It's Ok John, you made yourself sound anti social with that post. And I know that's not the case... A lot of us like the peace, I have hiked with others and discovered some would prefer to hike quietly to increase the chance of seeing some wildlife. Others hike and talk their heads off, and some do it to have a conversation. IT's good to do it all alone once in a while.

Did anyone notice this thread drew a crowd of 40 and 50 year old's to post?

Egads
07-11-2009, 09:33
Variety is nice

woodsy
07-11-2009, 13:04
Yeah, that's what I meant to say:D
Good comeback, you know me, just yanking yer chain. :D
And that other post of mine about hiking solo, pure BS :p

kayak karl
07-11-2009, 13:38
Did anyone notice this thread drew a crowd of 40 and 50 year old's to post?
WE appreciate being ALONE :D

Shutterbug
07-11-2009, 14:42

Hiking involves two imporatant parts: 1)walking and 2)telling about your adventures. I like to do the first part alone but the second part requires a crowd -- the bigger the better.

The best hike is one where you can walk for hours without seeing another person but can also get hours of enjoyment from telling others about the experience.

CowHead
07-11-2009, 14:54
:bananaNow if only the voices would go away! I would be all alone:banana

Wise Old Owl
07-11-2009, 15:24
WE appreciate being ALONE :D

Thanks KK,

you know I know that's so not true, in early grade school our teacher Miss Rembis asked the class to write about being alone (nothing was said about how we deal with it) My page & a half was the only positive writing everyone else wrote the negative.

hikingshoes
07-11-2009, 15:55
Yeah,i feel the same way.
I hike/backpack alone b/c there are not too many hardcore hikers where I live. I love being on a trail and calling it "my" trail. Funny thing is, if I'm at a gorgeous view, or a mtn top, or incredible weather happens, or anything else, many times I wish there was someone there to share it with.

hikingshoes
07-11-2009, 16:00
lol,sound like me:eek:
And to answer the OP I hike alone, I Snowboard alone, I Snorkel alone and have also been known to drink alone:D I find that human contact (for me of course) to be somewhat of a necessary evil that I nonetheless occasionally enjoy:cool:. However, for the most part I enjoy my own company. My mother used to think I was crazy if I mentioned dining alone or, God forbid, going to a movie alone (you're not supposed to talk anyway) - the poor dear;)

Speakeasy

medicjimr
07-11-2009, 16:02

Hell I fit that discription to Tee, to bad we don't live closer could have a hiking partner lol.:banana

YoungMoose
07-11-2009, 21:39
I hike alone because people don't like me and I don't like them.I agree with that. Also i dont really like hiking with my dad becuase he slows me down and at my age not much other kids like to hike.

SmokyMtn Hiker
07-11-2009, 21:48
I always do my 3 to 7 day section hikes alone. My wife doesn't enjoy hiking but she supports what I do and always enjoys being my shuttle, I think. Besides just because your without family or friends you always make new friends and meet interesting people along the trail and at shelters. I have friends who say they would like to go but when it comes time to go there is always an excuse not to go. I tell them they "talk the talk but want walk the walk".

Lemni Skate
07-11-2009, 22:37
When I go out for hikes the first question people ask is, "Are you going by yourself?" I think a lot of people hate the idea of the solitude.

I like hiking with my kids, but I also enjoy just being alone. I find that when I do section hikes I end making camp near a shelter around 40% of the time. That is, I like being alone, but I seem to need to have somebody to talk to after 2 or 3 days so I then start to seek out a "crowded" camping spot.

After I get a little talking out of my system I'm back to wanting to camp alone.

stranger
07-12-2009, 03:22
I always do serious hikes alone, but very so often I might do a short jaunt with another person, but I much prefer to hike alone.

Life is one big compromise and atleast when you hike alone you are able to do whatever the hell you want, whenever you want, without thought or consideration to anyone else.

Wolf - 23000
07-12-2009, 05:47
Out of the 24,000 miles I’ve backpacked, - 1,700 miles have been done were I saw the same person for more than a day or two. The rest of my journey I would see a different bunch of hikers at camp everyday or on some trips would not see a soul on the trail for weeks or sometime months.
Some of my hikes were truly an adventure and trying to find a partner is nearly impossible – even some of the “hard-core” hikers turn me down. After a while you get tired of waiting to find someone and just go. Some of my greatest adventures have been done solely. Afterwards, I have such a renew feeling on life. It is relaxing, no stress of other people and if you don’t like someone at the shelter – it is easy to leave.
Partners are nice to have sometimes but they are not always going to be there but no matter what, you will always have yourself.
Wolf

zeus307
07-12-2009, 09:10
This is how i hike alot myself. I hike 2-3 days same as you. Back country, state forest etc for several days. I love the peace, quiet and solidtude!:)
I tell my family the same, but they leave me alone and understand that hiking is my thing. I love hiking by myself!!:D

Furlough
07-12-2009, 09:20
I hike alone pretty much all the time. Most of my 2-3 days hikes are last minute, window of opportunity hikes. Plus most of what I do are loop hikes in the back country of SNP.

IceAge
07-13-2009, 16:27
Yep, I usually go alone. I love that crazy look people get when they ask who you are hiking with and you say "Nobody, I'm by myself".

It is fascinating to me that so many people are horrified at the thought of being in the woods by themselves, for me it is the only way I can relax.

Plodderman
07-13-2009, 16:37
Probably should not hike alone but most of the time I have trouble finding people to hike with. I usually go 70 to 100 miles so some times I go with people and sometimes by myself.

When hiking alone I go to well traveled places that I at least know there are going to be a few people in the area I camp or shelters.

If it is a choice between hiking with people or not hiking, I hike anyways.

High Life
07-13-2009, 16:50
another weirdo sheeesh :D

Grumpy5280
07-13-2009, 17:16
Sometimes when I hike with people, they ask me to hike alone. Depends on the food I'm eatin'.

Mostly I go alone anyway. There is no better company than those who are Masters of their Own Domain. :banana

scooterdogma
07-13-2009, 17:24
LOL, i didn't know u read this site Governor !

MikenSalem
07-13-2009, 22:09
It's nice to have someone else's to go so you don't have to hitch back to the car or do an out and back. The wife don't mind picking me up but cell phones don't always work. The family is uncomfortable with the idea I'll hitch a ride to cell phone service so you'll hear from me sometime on Sunday. I'm the guy who always sees the bear or has the pigs charge down the trail at me. Kept awake by deer snorting constantly or whistle one to a stop at 10 feet and still makes the cliff just as the sky clears. I'm good if someone want's to come we'll meet up every few hours. I'm never alone when I'm alone anyway- there's always someone on or in my heart. I just like to hike - having company is optional.

Wise Old Owl
07-13-2009, 22:12
:eek:
Sometimes when I hike with people, they ask me to hike alone. Depends on the food I'm eatin'.

Mostly I go alone anyway. There is no better company than those who are Masters of their Own Domain. :banana

Stop cooking so many Bush beans!:eek:

saimyoji
07-13-2009, 22:20
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30181&highlight=colter

dubscrub
07-13-2009, 22:40
For me hiking is a chance to clear my mind and figure things out so I prefer to do it alone. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy having friends around, but I get the most out of my treks when I am out alone.

Ridgeline
07-13-2009, 22:49
It's good to know that I'm definitely not the only one who enjoys hiking alone....thanks for all the replys....seems many of you like hiking alone for the same reasons that I do

CrumbSnatcher
07-13-2009, 22:51
if you have a personality like mine,plan on hiking alone!

Tinker
07-14-2009, 00:18

Weird is wonderful. Being alone is the best way to find yourself.

Bronk
07-14-2009, 06:22

On my attempted thruhike of the AT I always said I loved being out there on the trail because I never got to know anybody well enough not to like them.

sharky
07-14-2009, 10:42
I've never done a multi-day hike alone. I've always wanted to just so I can be left alone, but my family thinks its foolish.

JJJ
07-14-2009, 10:51
I hike alone mostly but enjoy meeting people on the trail and walking some with them. Or just chatting at a rest break.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2009, 11:18
I'm Lone Wolf. I hike alone

Nean
07-14-2009, 11:25
Spending time alone with yourself is a great gift.:-?
Most people never go a day w/o interaction with other people.:eek:
Spend enough time w/o distractions and things become more clear. Things like who you are, why you are, why they are. :) Things that a lot of people never figure out. :(

healthymom
07-14-2009, 12:18
I would prefer to hike alone. However, to keep the peace in my marriage, I take my son. He's a 15yo Boy Scout, very much like me and great fun to be around. We don't tell my husband that my son hikes much faster than I do, so we start and end together, but spend much of our days solo hiking. We tent together, eat and 'plan' the next day together but walk our own walks. Kind of the best of both worlds.
My husband is a huge horror movie fan and 'knows' I will be raped, murdered, dismembered and fed to tourists at a roadside stand.
Dee
healthymom

holyphenol
07-14-2009, 12:43
when not accompanied by the lady friend, who also loves to hike when time is permitting, i enjoy the ends to the days...
love the feeling of a peaceful resolution to the day w/o having to listen to others around me...

DCHiker
07-14-2009, 14:03
I do both. If I go with someone it's usually my girlfriend who's still new to it so it's fun as she experiences things for the first time. When I go alone it's for me. It's wonderful to get out there, sit by a fire, read a book or just clear the head. Once you do it once you'll look forward to doing it again.

earlyriser26
07-14-2009, 14:32
I often hike alone. Sometimes by choice, I hike slow and sometimes I can't find anyone dumb enough to go hiking. My wife hates it when I go alone. She worries I'll die and no one will tell her. I say, trust me, in about a week everyone will know.

mudhead
07-14-2009, 14:34

do you prefer to be by yourself?

HIKERJEN
07-14-2009, 15:05
I like to hike w/ my husband, or Dad, when they are free, but I have no problem hiking w/ just the dog- actually even really like to be by myself once in a while. I also can't stand camping near other people, and would never want to stay in a shelter w/ people I don't know- too crowded!- I camp to get away it from it all,and enjoy nature. I'll say hi, and make quick small talk w/ someone on the trail, but I don't want to have long conversations w/ anyone else except who I'm hiking with.

Plodderman
07-14-2009, 15:49
Ran into a little bit of trouble hiking alone in the Smokies. A couple of guys carried in some home made (moonshine) alcohol that was a little strong but the arguing stopped when the blood alcohol content was high. They finally passed out and I left early in the morning. Fortunately they were only hiking in few miles for the weekend and returning home.

johnnybgood
07-14-2009, 17:16
On my last section in May I hiked alone in the rain for days only speaking to fellow hikers in passing.
Hiking alone is a time for introspection , re-examing all aspects of life. You can't do that as much while hiking with a buddy .

By day 3 , the human psyche is satisfied and the gregarious side wants human interaction.

Summit
07-14-2009, 17:24
When hiking alone, I can "go with the flow." If human interaction presents itself, and the company and conversation agrees with my values, then I warm to it, embrace it, and participate in it. If it doesn't agree, then I withdraw to my camp site. If human interaction doesn't present itself, then I enjoy myself! I'm comfortable being alone. :)

johnnybgood
07-14-2009, 17:44
I agree totally Summit. I met an older gentleman in his 60's at a shelter and we hit it off immediately.
He had so many years of hiking experience ( like yourself) and stories of places that I can only dream of visiting.
Quiet guy and very unassuming.

I enjoyed his company.

Nearly Normal
07-14-2009, 21:01
On the AT it can be difficult. I've never been when I didn't see others.
You can reduce your encounters if you wait till before or after the peak and go during the week.
I enjoy going alone.
For solitude there are trails less traveled.

Landshark
07-14-2009, 21:34
I like both--hiking alone and with a partner or group. I have done many overnights and several 3-day trips alone along the AT/LT. I cut a 2-week solo trip short, part of the reason was because I was completely lonely and bored! I didn't meet many people, and those I did meet were going slower, faster, or the wrong way!

I don't worry about safety too much--you can refer to other forums for that topic. :p The usual--make noise in overgrown areas when you are walking into a headwind in bear country, pretend you are with someone if you meet any wackos, be prepared to move on, etc.

I tend to hike alone out of convenience for some of the same reasons others listed--lack of suitable hiking partners of similar ability/speed/schedule, etc.

My husband does not like to hike except for short day hikes, but he is happy to shuttle me wherever my little heart desires. :banana

Sometimes I hike for the solitude, sometimes for enjoyment of the outdoors and nature, and sometimes I hike just to appreciate what I have at home. A 25 mile overnight trip on a diet of gorp and fruit snacks makes pizza, beer, and a night in with the spouse that much more special!

unclehud
07-14-2009, 23:08
I hike without partners all the time, including multi-day backpacking trips. You will not be alone on the AT, however. There are always folks headed the opposite direction, and occasionally you will pass or be passed by folks headed your direction.

Safety is a relative term, and I think the AT is safe. The only animal encounters that concern me are with human beings. I cannot always discern their motives. That being said, I've hiked for forty years and never had a bad encounter with a person. Spooky encounters, sure, and I've met folks that gave me the creeps, but that's when you say, "Gotta go," and move along.

Hiking without a partner also means you must take special care to avoid falls, burns, getting lost, running out of water, and other brain-dead screwups where a buddy would make a big difference.

IceAge
07-15-2009, 17:00
Hiking without a partner also means you must take special care to avoid falls, burns, getting lost, running out of water, and other brain-dead screwups where a buddy would make a big difference.

This is another reasion I hike alone. I am often in need of improving my 'mindfulness' for lack of a better term. If I hike alone, especially in winter, I am forced to be mindful or I'll die of hypothermia.

bullseye
07-15-2009, 17:20

Liar:D
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18217&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=10786&cutoffdate=-1]

Lone Wolf
07-15-2009, 17:50
Liar:D
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18217&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=10786&cutoffdate=-1]

that was just some broad i met up there

ike1985
07-17-2009, 11:52
I hike alone because I can never find anyone able to go with me at the time I'm ready to go. I also hike very slowly, and don't want to hold up my more energetic friends. So when I go out, I meet people on the trail, often hike a while with them, and experience "trail life" in that way. I also meet people at the shelters to talk. I love the solitude but sometimes miss having a hiking "buddy."

Yea i hike alone because everyone has differnet schedules and noone is on the same schedule. so its hard to plan the same time for everyone.

ShoelessWanderer
07-17-2009, 12:10

I LOVE to hike alone, however, do try to find at least one other person to hike with. It sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't. I don't know if you've ever heard of meetup.com? There are a TON of hiking groups out there, good way to find other people who like to hike. A lot of times I'll go with one or two other people and we each hike our own hike but meet up at the same campsite every night, just to make sure we're all okay!

Jonnycat
07-17-2009, 12:47
The whole point of hiking (to me) is to experience nature in all of her wonder and beauty. I like to soak it up, with my undivided attention, and let my mind wander and become imprinted by my surroundings.

When I hike with another person, I experience that other person, and it reduces the amount of imprinting that nature can perform on me.

Spending time with people is fine, but that can be done anywhere, so I tend to reserve my time with nature to be alone with her.

Nean
07-17-2009, 13:29
The whole point of hiking (to me) is to experience nature in all of her wonder and beauty. I like to soak it up, with my undivided attention, and let my mind wander and become imprinted by my surroundings.

When I hike with another person, I experience that other person, and it reduces the amount of imprinting that nature can perform on me.

Spending time with people is fine, but that can be done anywhere, so I tend to reserve my time with nature to be alone with her.

Nicely said.;)

I always start out w/ a group but end up alone! :-?

:eek:

:(

:o

CrumbSnatcher
07-17-2009, 15:17

very cool!!!:cool:

buckwheat
07-18-2009, 14:16
I like to tell my wife I'm hiking alone on the AT. Then I fly to South America and hook up with young ladies...

Um ... get back to work Governor Sanford.

Homer&Marje
07-18-2009, 18:38

I love hiking myself. No worries about pace, food for others, and a general feeling of escape. I love hiking with the wife and my dad and my brother in law.....sometimes my brother....but solo I'm free.

Planning my august solo right now for 3 nights somewhere.....can't wait.

Dogwood
07-19-2009, 14:29
Yeah, you are weird, which means nothing more than wanting to experience something out of the norm. You are telling folks you want to do something they themselves don't typically do. You represent something that most folks fear or are threatened by - change and the unknown.

boarstone
07-19-2009, 17:01
Tried the hiking "with someone"...naw...stayed hiking alone...
No bitching, complaining, finding fault, stop when I want, do what/when i want. Recently tried hiking "with someone" again...NEVER again...too much finding fault with my way I do things. Didn't realize it ment so much to hiking partner to be their "blueprint/cloned hiker".
If you like hiking alone and it makes you happy great! If not..stop doing it.
Occassionaly I'll venture out w/someone for a day or overnight close to home but if I want to hike I'll go regardless of company or not.

ShoelessWanderer
07-20-2009, 09:23
Yeah, you are weird, which means nothing more than wanting to experience something out of the norm. You are telling folks you want to do something they themselves don't typically do. You represent something that most folks fear or are threatened by - change and the unknown.

And if it helps...that charactarizes everyone on WB!

ukflatfoot
07-22-2009, 08:56
For me it depends on why I am hitting the trails.

If I am going just to recharge my mental batteries, I prefer to hike alone, but am always glad to have company at camp.

If I am hiking just to be in the woods and enjoying nature, what better way to enjoy it than with a friend or fellow hiker?

Of course being an middle aged overweight hiker, getting someone to hike my speed with me is another issue :)

OldStormcrow
07-22-2009, 09:18
I've got an old friend who still hikes with me occassionally, but I have primarily always hiked solo. He's about the only person that I have been able to put up with when I am in the woods, mostly because he hikes his own hike and I hike mine, then we eventuallt both end up in the same place for the night. We are totally independant and don't need to share any of our gear, pack up in the morning without having to talk about it, get on the trail about the same time, etc. In my experiences I have found that it is even harder to find a compatible hiking partner than it is to find a compatible girlfriend/spousal-equivilant. When I am in the woods I am very picky about who I share that experience with, because that is my only escape from my mundane world. In my mundane world, I am far less picky, because I have to put up with the great unwashed masses every day, and what's one more?

horicon
07-22-2009, 09:29
I have hiked alone because of my work schudle

Highway Man
07-23-2009, 17:30
I hiked with other folks about ten days from Springer Mt. in this year's thru hiking. Actually I realized it only in a few days that I was tied up with other people's paces and plans. I was basically losing my ability to make a judegment and decision. I was overconcerned about other people's needs and ended up having missed a lot of fun.
Having a partener(s) in a hike may be a way to share expenses. I don't mind talking to other people at campsites/towns, dinning together...But it is no way for me again to hike with other people along AT. I don't want to lose my freedom, my hiking rhythm.

BlackCloud
07-25-2009, 21:22
BlackCloud almost always hikes alone. I'd like to say it's b/c he likes to hike his own hike; but who wants to hike w/ a guy who refers to himself in the third person????

gregp
07-25-2009, 21:58
As of today, I have now hiked just over 100 miles and have done them all solo. Finding someone to hike with is more difficult than I expected.

I also refer to myself in the third person when talking to the voices, but that's because I hear voices...

Gray Blazer
07-26-2009, 17:16
I used to hike alone all the time till I had a close encounter with Big Foot. I'll not hike in the woods alone without my dog or someone else with me.

billski
07-26-2009, 22:26
I hike alone a lot now days. Never used to. As I have aged, fellow friends who had been hikers fell by the wayside due to various life choices or physical issues.

One reason I hike is spiritual - it is how I reconnect with the natural world after a week in the artificial world of "convenience." As I have aged, I have slowed, partly for physical reasons and partly because I'm no longer a goal-oriented peak-bagger. I'm happy to go for a "walk" and never reach a peak. I enjoy stopping and exploring. The corny old adage, "stop and smell the roses" applies.
I still do strenuous hikes, it just takes me a lot longer than most. I always finish.

Re-starting that search for new hiking partners is difficult, I don't want to keep up with or hold back others. As we get older, we get stuck in our ways, find things we enjoy and want to do it our way. I set my own start and stop clock, make most trip decisions as late as 24 hours before I go and have made it a priority to get out.

I've also always enjoyed hiking in silence; it gives me a chance to really connect with wildlife and nature. I've startled (or they startled me) many an animal, including a moose 10 feet away, around a bend and over a rise. Those things make for very memorable experiences.

Now as far as the "Safety First" crowd goes. I'm just getting over very serious head trauma from a spill on the AT in Maine. It was a difficult section and I chose to do it with others for that reason. I also know that you're never really alone on the AT. So I got hurt and I got help.
However, there are many other even more remote areas I've gone by myself. Could I get hurt? Absolutely. I had every possible piece of rescue gear recommend and then more. Why did I do it? Because of the solace I need. It's how I unwind after living under the final approach path of Hanscom Field and Air Force Base all week.

Rewards are proportional to risks you take in life. Not foolish risks, but calculated and mitigated risks. My life tells me this is true. Will I hike another day, even after a grave injury hiking? Absolutely. Will I now adjust my hiking risk profile? Only slightly.

Life would be so boring living in a stay-puff marshmallow man suit!

saimyoji
07-26-2009, 23:27
I used to hike alone all the time till I had a close encounter with Big Foot. I'll not hike in the woods alone without my dog or someone else with me.

i heard the PA bigfoot yesterday around the hawk mtn road area....sounded crazy as ****.....like nothing i'd ever heard before.....

Gray Blazer
07-26-2009, 23:50
It's an eerie sound. I've heard owls screaming and panthers and bobcats screaming. Big Foot yelped at me. The BFRO researchers I went out with to show them the spot were good at reproducing the sounds.

Engine
07-27-2009, 16:53
I much prefer hiking with my lovely wife...but when I can't, by myself is always a joy as well.

sheepdog
07-27-2009, 18:59
I like to hike with others, but there is a certain freedom hiking alone. You can hike as far as you'd like and stop when you want to stop. You can take any blue blaze that catches your eye.