PDA

View Full Version : Getting to damascus, Virginia.

bumblebee99
07-10-2009, 12:41
I have just decided that Id like to start hiking nobo from Damascus, VA, because I'm getting picked up near where the trail crosses 77- which is about 120 miles. I think 9-10 days should be a sufficient amount of time...
Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get to Damascus? ( Im coming from Ohio).
Also, anything good to know about that part of the trail?
Thanks!!

Tennessee Viking
07-10-2009, 13:35
I have just decided that Id like to start hiking nobo from Damascus, VA, because I'm getting picked up near where the trail crosses 77- which is about 120 miles. I think 9-10 days should be a sufficient amount of time...
Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get to Damascus? ( Im coming from Ohio).
Also, anything good to know about that part of the trail?
Thanks!!
If you are coming from Cleveland, OH. Take I-77 all the way to Wytheville VA. Then I-81 South until you get to Abingdon, VA. You will want to take US58 East. And you come right into Damascus. Once you start seeing Whiteblazes along the streets, you know you made it.

Lone Wolf
07-10-2009, 13:39
If you are coming from Cleveland, OH. Take I-77 all the way to Wytheville VA. Then I-81 South until you get to Abingdon, VA. You will want to take US58 East. And you come right into Damascus. Once you start seeing Whiteblazes along the streets, you know you made it.

no. take exit 29 off I-81 not exit 19 and follow the signs to Damascus

bumblebee99
07-10-2009, 15:21
Ah, I forgot to mention that I would prefer not to drive, since I am being picked up by some friends about ten days after I start. Anyone know of any train or bus that goes near that part of VA?

Another option I may have is to have my friend drive her car down. She is only going to hike 60 miles, to Marion, then was going to maybe take the greyhound back. Maybe she could park her car near Damascus and just get a ride back to it? I've been hearing a lot about car thefts in that area though.

Tennessee Viking
07-10-2009, 15:44
no. take exit 29 off I-81 not exit 19 and follow the signs to Damascus
Didn't know there was a road from Chilhowie & Glade Spring

Lone Wolf
07-10-2009, 15:56
Didn't know there was a road from Chilhowie & Glade Spring

well yeah. hwy. 91

Lone Wolf
07-10-2009, 15:58
Ah, I forgot to mention that I would prefer not to drive, since I am being picked up by some friends about ten days after I start. Anyone know of any train or bus that goes near that part of VA?

Another option I may have is to have my friend drive her car down. She is only going to hike 60 miles, to Marion, then was going to maybe take the greyhound back. Maybe she could park her car near Damascus and just get a ride back to it? I've been hearing a lot about car thefts in that area though.

there's a bus station in Marion

bumblebee99
07-10-2009, 19:12
Alright, I think I've got it figured out. Thanks for your help!