PDA

View Full Version : Front Royal & Shen Valley Connector- 4:30-5:20 A.M.?!

mooseboy
07-10-2009, 15:49
Hi!
I realize I've posted several shuttle "maybes" & hypotheticals here, but usually that's because I like to know how I'm going to extricate myself from a remote area without a car, and this one is another hike I'm definitely planning to take this summer...

Basically, I will most likely end a section hike in Front Royal, VA, and take the Commuter a.m. bus into D.C. to switch to another bus to take me home. Only catch...? They all leave between 4:30 and 5:30 A.M.!

So even assuming that I can wake myself up at that ungodly hour (assuming 1 night in a motel), I then have to get myself to the Park & Ride Lot, about 1 mile out of town. OK, I could walk it-- except that there are TWO river bridges on Hwy. 522 between town & the lot, one of which is currently being rebuilt. I visited this area by car last month and saw nothing in the way of a pedestrian sidewalk. So I'm basically heading out before dawn, on foot, to walk 1.5 miles over 2 bridges with no sidewalk to get to the bus.

Why do I post this here? I guess I'm wondering if ANY taxis in this town would be willing to pick me up at this hour. We're not in the big city here, after all, and the drivers probably aren't going to disturb their sleep for a $5 fare to the edge of town. And I'm not sure I like taking my life in my hands attempting to walk it.

Any locals (or folks who have done this)? Any advice? (I'm pretty sure I can't afford a shuttle to the nearest regular-hour D.C. connection.) Considering this is the only public transportation out of Front Royal, well, options are limited.

Skyline
09-02-2009, 00:14
The commuter bus is scheduled for people who live in the Valley but work in DC or Northern VA suburbs. Lots of Valley folks get up in the middle of the night and commute to or near the City because of the high wages relative to the Valley.

There are cab companies in Front Royal. LC Cab is on the ATC shuttle list. I'm thinking they operate 24/7. If not, there are other cabs there that might. Contact the local Chamber of Commerce at (540) 635-3185.

BTW, if you haven't hiked yet all the bridge construction is finally done!

rubyvermonter
09-02-2009, 12:25
Last year, I stayed at a motel in Front Royal and took a cab to the bus stop. No problem.

Ruby Vermonter