PDA

View Full Version : trail thermometer?

Jofish
07-10-2009, 16:34
Did a search for thermometers and didn't come up with much...

I've seen a lot of people post the temperatures at various points during their thru hikes (when they get up in the morning, tent all covered in ice, etc). I was wondering what thermometers people use. I assume they aren't just estimating when they say "it got down to 17* last night!".

I know a lot of people wouldn't carry one (especially a lot of the UL junkies) but if I could find a nice light one I'd carry it. I think it'd be fun to note the coldest/hottest points along the trail.

daddytwosticks
07-10-2009, 16:41
I use one of those cheap 4 in 1 items (whistle, compass, thermometer, mag. lens). Not very accurate, but does the trick..:)

Tennessee Viking
07-10-2009, 16:55
The problem with personal therometers are that they take the ambient temperature. And humidity and personal body throw them way off.

I had a eddie bauer one from Target. That thing was around 15degrees off when you held. But if you laid it on the ground, it would get to around 5 degrees of the actual temperature 20 minutes later.

Ghosthiker
07-10-2009, 18:03
I have a small one from REI that is attached to teh pack with a 'biner.

Panzer1
07-10-2009, 19:04
I have a little one that weights 4 tents of an ounce. I like to know the exact temperature just for conversational purposes.

Panzer

Seeker
07-11-2009, 03:23
i have 3... the combo whistle/compass/magnifier one, a keychain/zipper pull one (both already mentioned), and this (http://www.rei.com/product/745064) one. it will tell you how cold it got overnight. a little heavy, but might be worth it if you're that interested (like i was, when figuring out how low i could go with my hammock setup).

Chatter
07-11-2009, 07:04
Take a look at the readings of a display-rack full of thermometers, especially the little ones which use mercury or dye-colored alcohol. There are slight, and sometimes not-so-slight differences, even sitting in the store.

Take a known accurate thermometer with you and buy one with a temp reading closest to reality.

kayak karl
07-11-2009, 07:26
The problem with personal therometers are that they take the ambient temperature. And humidity and personal body throw them way off.

I had a eddie bauer one from Target. That thing was around 15degrees off when you held. But if you laid it on the ground, it would get to around 5 degrees of the actual temperature 20 minutes later.
even hanging from my hammock ridge line would through off temp.
ski shops have some nice little ones that you put on zipper. they are insulated more from body heat.

MintakaCat
07-11-2009, 07:31
I use this little excellent thermometer:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2T696