PDA

View Full Version : advice: tarptent/POE ethrt compact 6 pad

mark schofield
07-10-2009, 17:27
I could use some suggestions. I have a Shires Contrail and a POE Ether Compact 6 sleeping pad. Both work great and I'm not looking to replace either. When I seam sealed the Contrail, I added the silicone strips on the floor so stop the slipping/sliding as suggested. This past week when I was out for a section hike, I had to pitch on a very slight slope a few nights and found the pad slipping down to the side. The floor of the tent is slippery as is the grey bottom of the pad. (i think grey is the bottom side, although the other yellow side feels just the same.) I don't want to cover the floor up with allot of gooey crap. You can't always find the perfect site. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mark S.

FishBone
07-11-2009, 07:23
try a thicker mix of silicone sealant than what you would use for seam sealing and repaint the floor strips. more silicone = thicker layer = more grip.

I also have the Contrail/POE combo.

mark schofield
07-11-2009, 09:43
thanks FishBone. did you do anything to the bottom of the pad to help it adhere to the silicone on the tent floor?

FishBone
07-11-2009, 16:38
nothing.I suppose you could, though.

Franco
07-11-2009, 20:22
Hard to tell exactly because I only use one mat at a time but I think that my striped Prolite 4 slides less than the non striped MaxThermo.
Next time I have a tent up , I must do a slide test...
How come perfectly flat ground is not so when you lay down ?
I am now "dotting" the floors . Less silicone used, easier to clean and looks nicer (to me)
(inspired by the dot painting Aboriginal art)
Franco

mark schofield
07-19-2009, 18:13
Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. If silicone striping isn't working for you, you might try one of those non-skid pads you get at the grocery or hardware store to keep your dishes from sliding around. Let me know.

Thanks.

Henry Shires

Tarptent
12213 Koswyn Ct.
Nevada City, CA 95959 USA
ph: 650-587-1548
fax: 801-459-9526
e-mail: [email protected] (http://us.mc812.mail.yahoo.com/mc/[email protected])
web: http://www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com/)

On Jul 11, 2009, at 6:49 AM, mark.schofield wrote:

> Hi guys. I posted this question on Whiteblaze also. Thanks, Mark S
>
> "I could use some suggestions. I have a Shires Contrail and a POE Ether Compact 6 sleeping pad. Both work great and I'm not looking to replace either. When I seam sealed the Contrail, I added the silicone strips on the floor so stop the slipping/sliding as suggested. This past week when I was out for a section hike, I had to pitch on a very slight slope a few nights and found the pad slipping down to the side. The floor of the tent is slippery as is the grey bottom of the pad. (i think grey is the bottom side, although the other yellow side feels just the same.) I don't want to cover the floor up with allot of gooey crap. You can't always find the perfect site. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mark S."

TIDE-HSV
07-23-2009, 00:10
REI used to sell a tacky spray which you could spray on the bottom of your pad. I still have tacky spray-tracks on the bottom of some pads, and they were sprayed probably 12-15 years ago. Haven't checked to see if it's still available in years...