PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need big boots?

bumblebee99
07-10-2009, 22:38
I've hiked with legitimate hiking boots my whole life, but last time on the trail I met a nobo thru-hiker that swore by his trail running shoes. He was in NY when I talked to him and his shoes were still going strong. I'm just wondering if this is typical to anyone else? I'm only planning on being out for 9 days, so could I try leaving my boots at home?

Summit
07-10-2009, 22:44
Gosh, there are a myriad of threads here on this subject, but the short answer is YES. More thru hikers using trail runners than boots these days. They make better mileage too, because they don't have to spend hours a day tending to blisters! :p

Ox97GaMe
07-11-2009, 00:08
I havent switched to trail runners because I have week ankles (HS basketball injuries). I find that the times I am out just for short dayhikes without the boots, my ankles start to turn and are sore at the end of the day. When carrying my pack, I need the extra support of an over the ankle boot.

But yes.. a lot of folks are going to trail runners. There are folks that have hiked the whole trail barefoot, in sandles, and in crocs.

find what is comfortable for you. Just remember... take care of your feet and they will take care of you.

Have a good hike.

Trailweaver
07-11-2009, 01:53
I also like having the ankle support. Also. . . I once stepped on a snake while on the trail bordered on each side with weeds so thick I couldn't see the snake. Without the boots. . . maybe not such a good outcome.

Lone Wolf
07-11-2009, 02:36
I've hiked with legitimate hiking boots my whole life, but last time on the trail I met a nobo thru-hiker that swore by his trail running shoes. He was in NY when I talked to him and his shoes were still going strong. I'm just wondering if this is typical to anyone else? I'm only planning on being out for 9 days, so could I try leaving my boots at home?

Limmer thinks everybody needs big heavy leather boots. leave the boots home

Rockhound
07-11-2009, 06:32
Recently switched to trail runners and I ain't never going back. Winter I will wear boots. Spring, summer, fall, trail runners are the way to go.

Egads
07-11-2009, 07:35
trail runners work best for AT hiking, This ain't Alaska

johnnybgood
07-11-2009, 07:50
Short answer - no . There are LW ankle high boots if you must wear them.

Big Dawg
07-11-2009, 08:45
Yes, the heavier the better... :eek:

just pickin... really it's what works best for YOU.

Actually, I got caught up in the "I must follow the masses & switch to trail runners for backpacking" craze. Then after several decent trips w/ trail runners, I realized my big ole 6'5" 250lb frame needed regular ole hiking boots. Boots just give me the support & stability I need while cruising the trail, & I never get blisters or hot spots from my boots. Works for me. Go get some trail runners & give it a whirl & see which works for you.;)

DavidNH
07-11-2009, 08:55
I think the short answer to your question is It depends.

When I did my thru in '06 I started out wearing standard big hiking boots. By the time I hit PA I noticed most of the thru hikers (younger ones especially) where using trail runners.

I switched to trail runners to discover the difference. They where fine long as my feet stayed dry-- which they did until VT! in Vermont I hit all sorts of mud and water got into my boots. Hiking down hill off of Killington to the Inn at Long Trail my feet where in excruciating pain. I switched at that point to Vasque Breeze boots (very comfy but not rugged and when you get a tear and water creeps in feet hurt).

A lady at the Inn told me that younger hikers (say 30's and under) have naturally more foot padding and thus handle sneakers better. us older folks (I am in my 40's) need the extra protection of bigger boots.

That said, proper fit is critical. No shoe that is too big or too small will feel right.

David

waywardfool
07-11-2009, 09:19
We hiked in SW Virginia a couple of weeks ago. Interesting to see that every overnight hiker, except one, that we ran into (section/weekenders at that point in that area) wore boots of some description. The one hiker wearing trail runners said that after this trip (12 days out), he was going back to boots. Sooo...this proves that, aside from thru-hikers, it's the web-walkers touting the trail runners...folks actually out there know better. :) :) :)

I think the thru hikers (prolly the largest body of trail-runner-wearers) can get away with it better because A) they're younger (young and dumb??) :) , and B) many of them are not "career" hikers, and needing to depend on their feet and bodies for backpacking year after year. This year, a thru, next year...who knows what they'll be doing.

And yes, trail runners work for a few. HYOH, if it works for you, all the better.

Sorry if I offend....that's just the way I see it.

Egads
07-11-2009, 09:31
We hiked in SW Virginia a couple of weeks ago. Interesting to see that every overnight hiker, except one, that we ran into (section/weekenders at that point in that area) wore boots of some description. The one hiker wearing trail runners said that after this trip (12 days out), he was going back to boots. Sooo...this proves that, aside from thru-hikers, it's the web-walkers touting the trail runners...folks actually out there know better. :) :) :)

I think the thru hikers (prolly the largest body of trail-runner-wearers) can get away with it better because A) they're younger (young and dumb??) :) , and B) many of them are not "career" hikers, and needing to depend on their feet and bodies for backpacking year after year. This year, a thru, next year...who knows what they'll be doing.

And yes, trail runners work for a few. HYOH, if it works for you, all the better.

Sorry if I offend....that's just the way I see it.

So, you are basing your opinion that trail runners don't work on your experience of a single hike in SW Virginia? Boy that's shortsighted. You need to do a better job proving your point.

If everyone you see on the trail is carrying 40 lbs then your logic assumes that anyone who knows anything about hiking must carry 40 lbs to do it correctly.

I am not exactly young & am not dumb and my trail runners work fine for me. I've used them SE trail hiking, desert trails, Pac NW hiking, Rocky Mtns, & hiking in snow. Then again, I don't carry 40 lbs. I go lightweight carrying anywhere from 10 to 16 lbs including food & water for summer SE USA trail hiking. My trail runners provide plenty of support for this style of hiking.

waywardfool
07-11-2009, 13:10
Umm, maybe you didn't see all the smiley faces.

...and, not just a 'single trip', either...many thousand miles over the last 35 years. They don't work for me. Great if they work for others.

So, you are basing your opinion that trail runners don't work on your experience of a single hike in SW Virginia? Boy that's shortsighted. You need to do a better job proving your point.

waywardfool
07-11-2009, 13:11
Oh, and "proves" was in italics...maybe that bit of sarcasm wasn't obvious enough.

bumblebee99
07-11-2009, 13:17
Thanks everyone! I guess I'll just test out the trail shoes on a shorter hike this weekend and see how I like them!

Bearpaw
07-11-2009, 13:21
I have found that to get real ankle support from a boot, it needs to be heavy enough to basically be a cast. Then you have issues with pressure to the Achilles Tendon and blisters.

I've hiked in everything from mountaineering boots (cinderblock casts I called them) down to regular running shoes. I'm happiest with a lightweight mid-cut pair of cross-trainers, basically just beefy trail runners.

When I injured my ankle a couple of years ago, I tried going back to boots. They just didn't help with ankle support. What I finally found was a very light brace specifically designed to give ankle support. It makes a big difference for me.

I wear it beneath a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators. In winter slop, I switch to the waterproofed, still relatively light, Lowa Renegade.

And I wear othotics in all my hiking shoes. I think this makes a bigger difference than boot versus shoe.

bumblebee99
07-11-2009, 14:10
Also, I'll clarify that I dont really have "big" boots- I've actually been using a brand of Vasque- the breathable ones with Gore-tex and they haven't really given me many problems. I just dont know if I need all that for the relatively short hike I'm doing. The alternative would be a pair of Adidas- the "kanadia" brand. I am young and haven't had any ankle problems, so I think I should be fine with the trail runners.

ChinMusic
07-11-2009, 14:13
Started with traditional boots, went to mids, and am now firmly in the trail runner camp. Someone mentioned it was a problem if they got wet. I have not experienced this. In fact I just march through water crossings without a concern anymore. Trail runners dry quickly. I also use Hydropel on my feet which helps.

Summit
07-11-2009, 14:31
Sooo...this proves that, aside from thru-hikers, it's the web-walkers touting the trail runners...folks actually out there know better. :) :) :)You can put all the smiley faces you want following a false statement . . . doesn't make it true! If you don't want something to be taken the wrong way, don't say it the wrong way. :eek: You see . . . I'm "actually out there" quite a lot and over 35 years of hiking . . . started with the heavy leather clunkers and have evolved into trail runners / cross-trainers, and no amount of horse radish from you is going to convince me that high-top leather or gortex boots is the way to go.

Blue Jay
07-11-2009, 16:21
You can put all the smiley faces you want following a false statement . . . doesn't make it true! If you don't want something to be taken the wrong way, don't say it the wrong way. :eek: You see . . . I'm "actually out there" quite a lot and over 35 years of hiking . . . started with the heavy leather clunkers and have evolved into trail runners / cross-trainers, and no amount of horse radish from you is going to convince me that high-top leather or gortex boots is the way to go.

I'm enjoying agreeing with you on this one. Leather really is obsolete due to weight even for a nonultralight guy like me. Leather boots weigh at least a pound more than trail runners. Multiply moving that pound on your feet for the number of steps in a mile and you move a ton per mile. Fine for a day hiker, but long distance, a ton per mile adds up. There are one or two of us without poles, however I have not seen a single hiker in leather shirt and pants and a coon skin cap in a very long time.

summermike
07-11-2009, 17:24
I wear NB walking shoes. They last 500-700 miles. Not cheap but sturdy, light and comfortable.

Blissful
07-11-2009, 18:04
I was 44 years old when I used my trail runners from mid VA all the way to Maine. Even though a guy told me I'd never get through PA in them.

So "generalizations" do offend...
Talk to us (Waywardfool and others) that have used them for over 1,000 miles. not 12 miles or a weekend jaunt.

And the concept that boots protect your ankles...they do not uless they are three lb monsters. (I hiked half the trail in boots and developed a calf strain). Strong ankles and properly fitted footwear do. And poles do as well.

It takes time for your feet and ankles to adapt. But they are great.

BUT - I will say, for durability sake, the only time I kind of wished I had boots was some scree sections inthe Presidentails of the Whites.

YoungMoose
07-11-2009, 21:02
it mostly your personal decision. I havent really though about this topic but i think that i would stick with booots. Thats my first thought.

Montana
07-11-2009, 23:20
The most important thing to worry about when choosing a pair of shoes is fit. The style of shoe is you choose should not be based on what the masses are doing! If you are used to hiking in high-top shoes, and find the extra support comfortable, then continue to use them. However if you normally wear low-top style shoes in your day to day life, you may find a pair of light-weight hikers more your style. Since you are only out for 9 days, it wouldn't hurt (much hopefully) to give something different a try. Who knows, you might end up liking them.

The key, as I've already mentioned is fit. When you are trying on a new pair of shoes, walk around in them for a while (wearing the same socks that you would be while hiking), to be sure they feel good before buying them. Ask if the store has a ramp that you can test the fit on. Stand on the ramp, facing down hill, and jump up. When you land, if your toes hit the tip of the foot box, you have too small of a shoe. Now turn around and walk up the ramp. Make sure that your heel doesn't lift away from the insole. If it does, try on a different pair, rinse, repeat.

I've used all kinds of shoes while hiking, and I personally have found that a light-weight hiker (as opposed to a trail runner) fits my needs perfectly. I wear them for spring, summer, and fall hiking. I try to dodge water, but find that they dry out quick enough when conditions demand that my feet get wet (ie MA and VT on my thru last year). For winter hiking, I usually prefer something a little bigger, to keep the snow out and my feet dry, and to accommodate snow-shoes or crampons depending on the trip.

Enjoy your hike, and good luck with whatever shoes you choose.

-Hare

SunnyWalker
07-12-2009, 00:18
Bumblebee-it is fit. For example, my toes need more room the other folks, and so that dictates the style of shoes or boots. I am in my 50s and hike a lot. I wanted to go to lighter weight shoes then continuing in my Salomon boots. I fitted out with a pair of hiking shoes made by Keen. They do have the toe box big enough. I like them so much I now wear them to work each day where I am on my feet all day! I walk to work also (2 miles one way) and then home. In these boots from day one I never got a blister. They fit real good and are built nicely. Look them over, they deserve your review.

dperry
07-13-2009, 20:03
This is one of the questions where there just is no one right answer; it all depends on what you need. Like many have said on here, if trail runners provide sufficient support for you, great; go for it. I, on the other hand, have a major pronation (particularly on my right foot) which means that I tend to turn my ankles a lot. So I need the support of something that goes up above my ankle. Even at that, we don't have huge clunky boots; we got inexpensive Hi-tec boots from our local shoe outlet, which are still pretty light. If you have this sort of problem, you may need something a bit more sturdy as well.

And the concept that boots protect your ankles...they do not uless they are three lb monsters. Whether "boots" help your ankles or not, having shoes above your ankles definitely does. In the bad old days, when I hiked in sneakers, I turned my ankles all the time. Since I got my current boots, I've done it maybe once in two years. The same thing was true in my basketball-playing days, when I switched to hightops; I had a lot fewer turned ankles.

Another recommendation I make is to get the liner socks to go inside your regular thick socks. Since I have been wearing these, my feet dry out faster, and I have a lot fewer blisters. The one thing is, if you do get liners, make sure you have them and the thick socks before you get your shoes, so you can try the shoes on with the socks on. We made the mistake of not doing this with my wife, and ended up having to get her bigger boots later.

Mags
07-13-2009, 20:09
Whatever you decide to do, go to a competent shoe store or outfitter. Get yourself fitted correctly to see what works well for your foot. Once you buy the appropriate shoe, you can always buy it online at a discount when you need a new pair. (I think you should buy the first pair where the sales person was nice enough to spend time helping you out).

Plodderman
07-14-2009, 11:31
Hiked in boots of for 20 years but when I started doing parts of the AT I switched to low cut trail runners. Currently using Asics Gel Enduros that are holding up well.

Teatime
07-17-2009, 02:40
I've read that having a firm heel counter is what really provides stability, be that in a trail runner or a boot. I just got a pair of Montrail Hardrock 08's and they are the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever had on my feet, bar none. They have a very firm, but well cushioned heel counter. I also would like to recommend you read the book, "Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail, by Roland Mueser. In the book, Roland discusses the different kinds of footwear seen on the trail. Though it is a little dated, it does show a trend toward lightweight, breathable footwear over the heavy leather type. He also makes the point that Gore-Tex is useless after a certain point. Better to wear trailrunners or lightweight boots and let your feet get wet. The point to this is that they will dry out quicker as you walk in them. Leather will stay wet for days. Even gore-tex can be overwhelmed and become a hinderance, keeping heat and moisture inside the boot. I never intend on going back to boots.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-17-2009, 06:59
I was section hiking last week on the AT and I'd say the thru-hikers I met were 50/50 trail runners/boots. I'd also say that each group had an equal number of blisters and complaints. Comes down to what works best for you. For me, it's boots. 5 ankle operations makes this so.

For any boot wearers out there, I would recommend doing a little research on lacing techniques. There are all sorts of ways to lace boots which will relieve pressure or make adjustments. I have not gotten one blister ever since I learned to lace my boots in different ways.

snowhoe
07-17-2009, 07:35
What happend to to going out in the woods with tuff gear? Being a man? HAHA. Boots are and will only be my choice. If people would take the time and go to a REAL hiking store not a big "we got everything you need for the outdoors" store and get your boots fitted properly they will not cause you to get blisters. You might not get to take the home that night because they might have to do some streatching on them 1st but they will serve you well if you take care of them. Thats it I am grabbing my BOOTS and going camping RIGHT now. For the weekend! SEE YA!

Summit
07-17-2009, 12:30
What happend to to going out in the woods with tuff gear? Being a man? HAHA. Boots are and will only be my choice. If people would take the time and go to a REAL hiking store not a big "we got everything you need for the outdoors" store and get your boots fitted properly they will not cause you to get blisters. You might not get to take the home that night because they might have to do some streatching on them 1st but they will serve you well if you take care of them. Thats it I am grabbing my BOOTS and going camping RIGHT now. For the weekend! SEE YA!Glad you like 'em! I like trail runners for comfort, ease in hiking, and less tired legs/feet at the end of the day.

ShelterLeopard
07-17-2009, 13:03
I'm personally a fan of boots- but I've never tried the trail runners, so I don't know... I don't really want to try 'em though.

Blissful
07-17-2009, 14:40
I'm personally a fan of boots- but I've never tried the trail runners, so I don't know... I don't really want to try 'em though.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em. ;)