PDA

View Full Version : Requisite last-minute freakout

mindi
07-10-2009, 22:50
I got my food, and it seems like it weighs a ton and it takes up way too much room. I don't know how I'm going to get the Camelbak in/out of my pack, and it's going to be smushed up in the sleeve. I've abandoned my bag of trailmix because I can't fit it anywhere. As it is, I have ditched my rainpants and have my rainjacket sort of laying across the top of my pack. I don't understand why I always end up so bulky. The weight isn't really that bad.

I'm getting so freaking nervous, too.

rp1790
07-11-2009, 03:29
If lack of room is a big thing ditch the camelbak and buy two 1 ltr Aquafina water bottles. They weigh a lot less, you can see how much water you have left etc.

hurryinghoosier
07-11-2009, 05:38
On my hike this spring from Springer to Boiling Springs PA I watched many thru hikers lugging their backpack to a spring to fill their camel back, fighting the tube that they drink from to keep it from freezing, drying their sleeping bag out from a leaking tube, and constantly unpacking their pack to go get water. I never understood why they went through so much trouble when all they had to do was take two water bottles as rp1790 stated in the above thread. I honestly believe camelbacks and backpacks dont go together. In my opinion camelbacks are for folks who move around with no other place to put their water. For me the hassle wasnt worth it.

Ol Mole
07-11-2009, 06:25
I use the bag to store clean water in as I carry extra or to have in camp. I always have 2 bottles with me to use also. I hike to some dry camps so I need to have extra water. The tube thing is to me kind of a gimmick, so much to go wrong with it.

Rockhound
07-11-2009, 06:29
the Camelback can be strapped to the side of your pack. A lot easier to access that way. Or like someone else suggested, ditch it.

Doctari
07-11-2009, 07:30
Too much food. Not enough room. Taking gear out & questioning that decision endlessly. Freaking out about your upcomming trip.

Yep, sounds like you are doing everything right. :p

bigcranky
07-11-2009, 08:15
Too much food. Not enough room. Taking gear out & questioning that decision endlessly. Freaking out about your upcomming trip.

Yep, sounds like you are doing everything right. :p

Heh heh. Exactly.

Mindi, I don't want to tell you to ditch the Camelback, because I know a lot of hikers like them. I tried various bladders when they came on the market, and went back to water bottles just for the ease of use. Since I can reach my bottle while hiking, I stay nice and hydrated.

Remember that your food bag will get smaller starting on day 2. Try very hard to bring your gorp bag -- you'll need to snack constantly throughout the day, especially after the first few days.

The nervousness is normal. It might not go away as soon as you hit the trail, but it'll be gone shortly thereafter.

mindi
07-11-2009, 08:24
Whew. Thanks guys! I don't know why I do this to myself, I did last time also and everything worked out. I feel a lot better this morning..I think I just needed a break.

Cut my GORP in 1/2 and just double-bagged it and threw it on top of my stuff, rearranged things in my pack so everything fits a little better now. I managed to push stuff around enough so I can stand my food bag on end instead of sideways and stuff my rainjacket in there. Prescriptions take up so much room..but not much I can do about that.

It still looks huge, but I think that's just the way it's going to be..I'm 5' tall so I always tend to look like I'm carrying my own weight in stuff even though it doesn't actually weigh much. Last time I got constant 'How much does that thing weigh, 90 pounds?' comments, until someone actually hefted the pack.

Still debating the Camelbak..I may take it and just use it at night to get extra water for camp and just camel up and fill my Nalgene at water sources. Or buy a bottle of water before I leave and save the empty bottle. I understand it's been a wet year so I'm going to try not to lug 4 liters everywhere like I did last time.

I mailed a couple of things to the lodge to pick up tomorrow..(fuel canister and pepper spray), but the added weight and space for those is negligible.

I'm at 32 pounds now with food. It feels pretty good. What difference a real women's pack makes!

Big Dawg
07-11-2009, 08:27
Mindi, I don't want to tell you to ditch the Camelback, because I know a lot of hikers like them. I tried various bladders when they came on the market, and went back to water bottles just for the ease of use. Since I can reach my bottle while hiking, I stay nice and hydrated.

I will,,,, ditch the Camelbak:D

Seriously, 2 water bottles outside the pack are easier to manage, IMHO. I ditched my Camelbak a number of years ago & haven't missed it at all.

peanuts
07-11-2009, 08:29
mindi, if your backpack has a top lid, all you need to do is lay the camelback on top of the bag after packing and close the top lid on top of bladder. that how i always carry my 3l platy. no problems.

Big Dawg
07-11-2009, 08:31
Still debating the Camelbak..I may take it and just use it at night to get extra water for camp and just camel up and fill my Nalgene at water sources.

Yea, that's what I do, minus the hose. I have a 3L platy for camp.

Best of luck Mindi :sun

mindi
07-11-2009, 08:32
Thanks, peanuts! I may try that. Now that I managed to fit my rainjacket in the pack, it would be the perfect spot.

I think I'm going to take it and see how it goes..if it ends up being a pain in the butt I can just ditch it when I get to Monson.

mister krabs
07-11-2009, 08:43
ditch the nalgene too, poweraide bottles are lighter and work just as well. I think they're easier to drink out of too, the nalgenes mouth seem too wide to me, I always seem to have water running down the sides of my mouth. Maybe I just have a drinking problem. :p

kanga
07-11-2009, 09:01
mindi, if your backpack has a top lid, all you need to do is lay the camelback on top of the bag after packing and close the top lid on top of bladder. that how i always carry my 3l platy. no problems.
i do the same

Blissful
07-11-2009, 20:57
If you can close up the backpack straps and you're ok with the final weight, you're good to go. And you can always cram stuff on the outside (I do). Bet you have some nooks and crannies to use still.

Snowleopard
07-11-2009, 21:22
Mindi, You're going to have a great time!
If you're going SOBO from Maine: believe me, too little water won't be a problem. It's been very, very wet in New England. I'd recommend bringing the rain pants over the camelbak. Be sure to have enough warm clothes and rain gear so you aren't cold and wet. Put clothes and sleeping bag into waterproof plastic bags so that they're dry at the end of the day of heavy rain.. You may luck out, the forecast is for much dryer weather over the next week. Read this thread:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52158
Have fun!!

FritztheCat
07-11-2009, 22:22

That's a great idea peanuts! I'll have to try that!

Lilred
07-11-2009, 23:32
I can't reach my water bottles when I put them in the side pockets, so I hang them from my shoulder strap, using a caribiner. (sp?) I pull my chest strap over the caribiners so the bottles don't bounce.

toegem
07-12-2009, 07:55
Edit:
It still looks huge, but I think that's just the way it's going to be..I'm 5' tall so I always tend to look like I'm carrying my own weight in stuff even though it doesn't actually weigh much. Last time I got constant 'How much does that thing weigh, 90 pounds?' comments, until someone actually hefted the pack.
I'm at 32 pounds now with food. It feels pretty good. What difference a real women's pack makes!

Without really knowing all the particulars it sounds like you may have a bulk issue, if that is the case I would recommend one or two of these.

http://www.prolitegear.com/granite_gear_aircompressor_color.html

Happy trails!

MtnRider1981
07-12-2009, 08:41
Are you starting a thru hike soon? SOBO?

MtnRider1981
07-12-2009, 08:46
Are you starting a thru hike soon? SOBO?

Nevermind, I'm a moron.

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2009, 09:44
I got my food, and it seems like it weighs a ton and it takes up way too much room. I don't know how I'm going to get the Camelbak in/out of my pack, and it's going to be smushed up in the sleeve. I've abandoned my bag of trailmix because I can't fit it anywhere. As it is, I have ditched my rainpants and have my rainjacket sort of laying across the top of my pack. I don't understand why I always end up so bulky. The weight isn't really that bad.

I'm getting so freaking nervous, too.

Mindi - all sounds ok, and the advice up to now is right, so open a free www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com) account and post a pic or two and post us a gear list. As for the platy - it doesn't need to be full, and I prefer to have that and a seperate gatorade bottle for powder mixing. No Nagalene.

mixinmaster
07-12-2009, 10:42
I had a Platypus spring a leak inside my pack as I started to leave the parking lot on 42 near Springer. I tossed it inside the Jeep, grabbed 2 water bottles, and proceeded to hike 479 miles to Damascus. IMHO, H20 bladders are for cycling.

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2009, 10:46
Weird - she has a bulk problem and we are arguing the ramifications of Platapusesssss......come on folks focus and stop smoking that stuff so early in the morning. Get a pizza.

Panzer1
07-12-2009, 11:55
I had a Platypus spring a leak inside my pack as I started to leave the parking lot on 42 near Springer. ...

I have always used the MSR Dromlite and never had a problem with a leak.
http://www.rei.com/product/733956

I think the Platypus is a cheaper design.

Panzer

Clementine
07-12-2009, 12:02
Me and the two 21 year olds did 7 miles last weekend and a 10 miles yesterday.

Almost fully loaded packs.

Felt better than I thought I would after getting home. We are starting Thursday at the NY/CT line and hiking to MA. 50 or 60 miles depending if we make it back to the car.

This will be our first section hike. We enjoyed all of the great articles and posts.

Tough for a 300# guy w/ pack to go 50 miles.

I will let you know if I had to get choppered out!

FabmanRI

Jeff
07-12-2009, 13:14
I mailed a couple of things to the lodge to pick up tomorrow..(fuel canister and pepper spray), but the added weight and space for those is negligible.

The pepper spray may make you feel more at ease....but I'll bet you send it home before you are out of Maine.:) Have a great time.

Old Grouse
07-12-2009, 13:43
You folks are aware, I suppose, that you're now talking to yourselves since Mindi is in transit to Maine.

og