PDA

View Full Version : When did you know?

c.coyle
07-10-2004, 11:12
For those of you who have successfully thru hiked, was there a specific point in the journey (location, number of weeks into it, etc.) where you realized "I can do this"?

I'm curious because many never make it, and it seems that a high percentage of would-be thru hikers do _not_ have extensive backpacking and hiking experience at the start.

MOWGLI
07-10-2004, 11:58
For those of you who have successfully thru hiked, was there a specific point in the journey (location, number of weeks into it, etc.) where you realized "I can do this"?

I'm curious because many never make it, and it seems that a high percentage of would-be thru hikers do _not_ have extensive backpacking and hiking experience at the start.

In a conversation prior to leaving Springer, Wingfoot told me that if I could make it to Damascus, VA, then I could probably go the distance. Once I reached Damascus, psychologically, I knew that I could make it the rest of the way.

While some of y'all may not care for Wingfoot, that was some of the most sage advice that I received prior to my hike.

Little Bear

NotYet
07-10-2004, 20:54
I had a lot of backpacking/wilderness experience before my thru-hike; so I had a pretty good idea what I was getting myself into. I went into the hike with a strong commitment to myself to complete the journey. So, before the hike even began, I was confident that, barring serious injury or family emergency, I could make it!

As I climbed Katahdin on the first day, I was nervous because it was very hard and I still had a long way to go. But by the time I got to Daicey Pond Shelter that night I KNEW I COULD finish. I kept this positive attitude in the forefront of my mind no matter what kind of obstacles presented themselves. Also, I tried not to think about the "entire trail", because that could overwhelm. Instead, I focused on the trail around me and the experiences I was having at that time.

Another thing that I did to make sure that I finished was to use my hike to raise money for a good cause. I knew that many people had pre-paid BY THE MILE! There was no way I was going to quit!

TankHiker
07-12-2004, 09:44
I think by the time I reached Fontana Dam, which is a little more than 150 miles in, I realized that I physically could hike the entire trail. But I knew the mental challenges would be constant all the way.

It wasn't until I was in the 100 Mile Wilderness that I stopped saying "if I get to Katahdin," and started saying "when I get to Katahdin".

-Tank

A-Train
07-12-2004, 10:47
There was no moment when I said "I know I'm gonna make" or atleast none that I can remember. It was more of a general feeling of confidence. I had a huge fear of dropping out early before I started my hike because I had already bailed on a section hike previously. But this way different. Touching off from Springer, meeting so many amazing people, by the first couple days I knew this was the thing for me. I definately got the physical confidence going into Hot Springs after my first 20 miler that yes I could do this for real. Thats when I felt like a thru-hiker. In Damascus there was no doubt and once I hit southern New England it was "when I get to Katahdin" and "the end" talk :)

Hammock Hanger
07-12-2004, 12:24
Even though I did not make it, due to injury I can say that barring injury I would have made it. By Damascus you are a hiking machine, physically. If your glass is half full so to speak ( I could be at work school, stuck in traffic) vs half empty ( a warm bed, family, dry clothes) you are more likely to hike on. JMO
Sue/HH

Mags
07-12-2004, 12:39
The year of 1998 was an El Nino year. This little fact meant that it was very wet! For the month of March I am not exaggerating when I say that we had maybe four of five days of actual sunshine. Almost every day it was wet, cold, snowy or rainy. Made for some demoralizing hiking at times.

When I summited Max Patch it was an extremely snowy day. Visibility was low. My spirirts were equally low, too. It was my umpteenth day of terrible weather. Every day my boots were frozen, my fingers were numb, and was wondering why I was doing this to myself! Summiting Max Patch in this weather did not help. One of the most beautiful places on the trail and all I could see was white out.

Then, something happened. For a few minutes, the clouds lifted and could see a view that was inspiring. The distant mountains were covered in a blanket of snow. A view that is still with me.

My hardest day on the trail was also my most inspiring. It was a lesson for the trail on thay day, too. No matter what kind of curve balls the trail would throw at me, it would get better. Knew on that day I would make it to Katahdin.

That day has been with me for over six years now. No matter what else I do in life will always remember that cold, snowy day on Max Patch in March 1998.

hungryhowie
07-12-2004, 18:26
I knew from time I hit Springer that I was going to make it all of the way. I always felt bad knowing that, statistically speaking, the other nine guys standing around me weren't going to make it, but I was always happy knowing that I would.

I remember one morning in northern CT or southern MA, my friend and I were looking at our databooks and realized that we had only 700 more miles to go before Katahdin. Having already done 700-miles twice I was finally able to conceptualize the amount remaining and knew that it could be done.

Sitting over the CT river (the border between VT and NH), it really hit me how far I had just walked. I think the fact that I hiked 30 miles that day may have contributed to my dilerium, but it was an amazing feeling to know that I had walked to New Hampshire.

-Howie

Footslogger
07-12-2004, 18:30
I was optomistic from the outset but I must admit that Damascus and then Harpers really put the icing on the cake for me. After Harpers nothing short of a serious injury or family emergency would have gotten me off the trail. As it was I hiked the whole thing with bad kidney stones. Of course they weren't diagnosed until after I got back home so I just thought I had gotten a hold of some bad food or water.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Litefoot
07-12-2004, 21:10
My strategy was to plan well, execute the plan, enjoy every minute of it, and go the distance. I had no doubt in my mind that I would make it barring serious injury or a family emergency.

I never allowed myself to even consider the possibilty of not making it. I was going to march up Katahdin carrying my shield or go home on it. :D

My journey went extremely well, but I know that many people struggle for various reasons and often don't make it. I do have the deepest respect for anyone who shows up and gives it a whirl regardless of the outcome. :)

Percival
07-12-2004, 21:24
I knew from time I hit Springer that I was going to make it all of the way. I always felt bad knowing that, statistically speaking, the other nine guys standing around me weren't going to make it, but I was always happy knowing that I would.-Howie
Howie is a very modest man.

hungryhowie
07-13-2004, 08:57
Howie is a very modest man.

Hey, Percival!

Did I forget to mention that, statistically speaking, I was also the most handsome of the group? :rolleyes:

Perhaps my first reply on this topic was a bit mis-worded. I knew from my readings that statistically 9 of 10 people who set out to thruhike the AT don't make it. I knew, from before I ever even set foot on the AT, however, that I would be one that did make it all the way.

-Howie

Kozmic Zian
07-13-2004, 20:44
Yea.....Good Question! I knew when I left Springer that I wanted to hike the entire Trail. I knew when I reached Harpers Ferry that I really would hike the entire Trail.KZ@;)

Tin Man
07-14-2004, 20:02
For me, it's not a question of "if", it is a question of "when", barring health or injury issues of course. While I may be a mere section hiker now, I look forward to the day when I begin my quest to go the entire distance in a single trek.

For me, "if" become "when" at age 14 after hiking 50 miles at the Philmont Scout Ranch in NM and hearing stories about the AT. It sounded so cool then and even cooler now. The last 3 years of section hikes and hanging here on WB and trailjournals has confirmed that The Trail is not just a wish or a dream, but part of my destiny. :D

Pencil Pusher
07-15-2004, 00:43
For me, it's not a question of "if", it is a question of "when", barring health or injury issues of course.
I agree, but for schleppers like us who haven't completed this thing, this dude doesn't wanna hear it. Now if he asked at what point did I 'know' I was a schlepper...