PDA

View Full Version : please recommend boots (not a trail runner debate)

Pages
07-11-2009, 17:46
as the title says, this is not another boots vs trail runners thread, so please, trail runner users, keep your comments to yourself. i have read all the threads and am aware of the pros and cons.

i've pretty much decided i'm weary boots on my thru-hike. probably goretex.

i've been wearing vasque sundowners for the past many years and have loved them.

but now i'm reading that sundowners are being made in china instead of italy and they are not nearly as well made and comfortable.

so, what boots now? i like leather, goretex and vibram soles, but don't want heavy clunkers. anyone find a boot similar to sundowners that are working for them?

thanks in advance.

TV

RedneckRye
07-11-2009, 18:00
The move of the Vasque Sundowner production from Italy to China happened probably 8 or 9 years ago. I seem to recall that it was right after Vasque (an Italian company) got bought out by Red Wing (an American company). If you've bought a pair in that time period and been happy with them, then stick with the Sundowners. I think the supposed drop in quality is more urban legend than anything else.

That being said, choice of boots comes down to what works best on YOUR foot. Spend some time and gas money, go to some stores and try an assortment of footwear out. Happy hunting.

SC Ryan
07-11-2009, 18:08
I have been pleased with all the Vasque shoes and boots I've worn over the years. I started the trail last year in Sundowners, (but switched to trail runners eventually and loved them) and they're solid boots. I'm out west now in CO and wear them for snow and rugged hikes. Easily 1200 miles on my pair and they are still going strong except for minor leaking. I wore mine all winter before my thru and also for about 150 trail miles to make sure they were broken in enough. At first they are no fun.

YoungMoose
07-11-2009, 18:23
i wear Montrail torre Gtx. I love them after a 15 day hike that i did once. my feet felt great. I Only wish that it could have more breathability. My feet were a little hot bot not terribly. I never got a blister or even a hotspot. For a person with wide feet which i have you shhould get it whatever your size is wide. i had to get the toe area strectched too becuase when i went downhill my toes didnt have enough room to move. BUt that is becuase i have about a inch between my bigtoe and my next toe.

Shutterbug
07-11-2009, 19:19
as the title says, this is not another boots vs trail runners thread, so please, trail runner users, keep your comments to yourself. i have read all the threads and am aware of the pros and cons.

i've been wearing vasque sundowners for the past many years and have loved them.

but now i'm reading that sundowners are being made in china instead of italy and they are not nearly as well made and comfortable.

so, what boots now? i like leather, goretex and vibram soles, but don't want heavy clunkers. anyone find a boot similar to sundowners that are working for them?

thanks in advance.

TV

I am not sure I would start a thru hike with them, but they work well for me: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4840910

They are comfortable and require no breakin.

If you read the reviews you will see that a number of people have complained that the seams on the side of the boot fail long before the boots are worn out. That has been my experience too, but I usually get six months or more out of a pair wearing them six days a week. Spending $34 a pair and getting a new pair every six months seems like a good deal to me.

modiyooch
07-11-2009, 19:19
asolo boots for me.

Yukon
07-11-2009, 19:28
asolo boots for me.

Me too, 520's...

Pages
07-11-2009, 20:34
just found a number of boot recommendation threads.

sorry for the re-post.

TV

Lone Wolf
07-11-2009, 20:37

thanks in advance.

TV
montrail.......

YoungMoose
07-11-2009, 20:53
the montrail torre gtx is exactly what you are looking for. Vibram soles not heavy clunkers. I posted again becuase i think my other post was too long.

Blissful
07-11-2009, 21:07
This is not to debate - but I can tell you for a fact (because I wore Goretex boots on the first half of my hike ) they WILL get soaked inside and out and they will take days to dry out. And you will have blister issues on a thru. Just FYI.

Snowleopard
07-11-2009, 22:19
Get what fits your feet best. It sounds like Vasque sundowners work for you. Try a new pair on and see if they've changed. For me Raichles fit best but your feet aren't the same as mine.

Lilred
07-11-2009, 23:34
Love my Soloman boots....

MedicineMan
07-12-2009, 05:05
I've got 14 pairs of boots upstairs, from Merrel to Limmer. When I was just north of SNP I bought a pair of el cheapo Hi-tecs...wow was I surprised by them. Just did the last 113 miles of PA in them and they are still rocking and at $70 hard to beat.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0063954813042a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=hi-tec&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

To tell how impressed I've got 2 pairs in boxes just waiting for the need.

Franco
07-12-2009, 05:41
There are 3 basic foot shapes. Generally the brand that fits one shape does not fit that well the others. In other words the "absolute best eve"r for one , can be the" worst ever" for another. So you need to try them on.
http://www.root2being.com/the-three-foot-shapes.aspx (http://www.root2being.com/the-three-foot-shapes.aspx)
Franco

Nasty Dog Virus
07-12-2009, 09:30
This is not to debate - but I can tell you for a fact (because I wore Goretex boots on the first half of my hike ) they WILL get soaked inside and out and they will take days to dry out. And you will have blister issues on a thru. Just FYI.

For this reason I decided to get boots without an internal membrane because they take so long to dry once that membrane is compromised. I did some research and bought some Hi-Tec V-lite Altitude Ultra's which are treated with "ION Mask" waterproofing. I have a couple hundred miles on these boots and the waterproofing is still holding up. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned...

Boots: http://www.hi-tec.com/us/46266-product-v_lite_altitude_ultra_wpi-mens.html

Ion Mask Technology: http://www.wetisdry.com/wetisdry/

Ladytrekker
07-12-2009, 10:27
Its personal preferance I tried on a ton of boots and then bought the Timberlands because it has a wider toe area and I can wear thicker socks with them. I wear them alot even when not walking to keep my feet use to them and have never had a blister, so it is just what fits best for you. I think even if I had to go thru pairs to finish a long hike I would not care if they lasted or not, comfort is more important.

mark schofield
07-12-2009, 10:38
these Hi Teck boots work well for me.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___11740

LockJaww
07-12-2009, 11:23
I am a long time fan of Fabiano( R.I.P ) and Alico boots. I prefer to backpack in leather uppers and a stitched sole.
Having said that , Garmont makes a military boot model T8 that Ive read enough good reviews about , that Im going to get a pair and try them out.

Deadeye
07-12-2009, 13:01
these Hi Teck boots work well for me.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___11740

These work for me, too. Inexpensive, long lasting, comfortable, short break-in time, not too stiff, not too soft... just right

Bearpaw
07-12-2009, 13:18
If you want the same basic weight of your Sundowners, the Montrail Torre (http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442120337&emssrcid=GoogleBase)is a good option. All leather, goretex, vibram sole. If you have a medium or narrow width foot, the standard will work well for you. If you have a wide foot, their wide Torre may be just the ticket. Just be aware, it looks like Montrail is no longer making this boot (which makes NO sense to me), or else they are in the process of changing it. You can find good deals, if you can find your size.

If you are looking for all-leather, gore-tex, and vibram sole in a lighter package, and you have a medium to wide foot, the Lowa Renegade (http://www.rei.com/product/732795) Mid will save you nearly a pound of boot on your feet. These are what I use in sloppy winter conditions.

Jonnycat
07-13-2009, 16:00
Me too, 520's...

I wish I could wear those boots, they fitted my feet and seemed well made, but the soles are *way* too slick for what we run into here in Oregon.

They'd be great if you aren't hiking anywhere with moss covered wet boulders to scramble over.

Jonnycat
07-13-2009, 16:03
Oh yeah, I ended up buying the Vasque Summits, but I'm sure most people here would consider them to be "too heavy" for their tastes. I love 'em!

Mrs Baggins
07-13-2009, 16:06

I've worn goretex and leather Hi-Tecs exclusively for many years now. The only time I ever had wet feet was when I fell down into a stream that went way over my boot tops (I wear the high cut). Otherwise I've never had wet feet - not in rain, not in stream crossings that didn't go over my boot tops, not from sweat - nothing, ever. And I only got blisters twice - both times I didn't wear liner socks so I considered that my fault, not the boots.

Mags
07-13-2009, 16:51
Otherwise I've never had wet feet - not in rain, not in stream crossings that didn't go over my boot tops, not from sweat - nothing, ever.

You need to hike more. :D

All boots/shoes/galoshes/cowboy boots/logger boots get wet eventually.

Otherwise the boots are some magical item that really fights the law of physics. ;)

Having said that....

I have and use the Hi-Tec Altitudes as well. Find them to be a good budget boot for when I do trail work. I also use them as around town boots when it snows and the occasional foothill hike in winter. I prefer the ones w/o GTX as I think GTX is crap for footwear. A good coat of Sno-Seal does wonders (When GTX gets clogged, and it will, the perspiration is awful..and worse, the water in your boots has a hard time escaping) for keeping the boots water resistant and supple.

FWIW, other friends of mine bought the shoes and have been happy with them.

Finally, your best bet is to go a reputable outfitter and try on a few different pairs of boots. Everyone has a different foot. As Franco said, what works for one person may be a blister hell for another.

hoz
07-14-2009, 12:11
I like my Alico Tahoes. All leather handmade Italian craftsmanship. Norwegian welt construction. Excellent support and protection from rocks. At just over 3 # they are not the lightest, but they ain't heavy either!

Sierra Trading Post still has them in certain sizes for $139.00 +/-.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/hoz/tahoe.jpg

Reid
07-14-2009, 13:21
I picked up a pair of Hi tec boots a few weeks ago and was very surprised with them.
They are extremely comfortable from the get go and are waterproof, great for winter hiking......my favorite!

Mrs Baggins
07-14-2009, 14:09
You need to hike more.

All boots/shoes/galoshes/cowboy boots/logger boots get wet eventually.

Otherwise the boots are some magical item that really fights the law of physics.

Nope. I replace them about every 12 - 16 months and have never, other than that one step down into too-deep water, had so much as a damp pinky toe. Ever. I happily slosh through streams and come out with completely dry feet every time. I wouldn't keep buying them if wet feet were a problem.

pyroman53
07-14-2009, 14:27
My Summit GTX's never get wet, not from sweat nor rain all day long. Amazing shoes. But man do they stank after just a couple days of wearing. Smells like something crawled in there and died! I got em cause they come in a narrow width option. They fit perfect. They're not too heavy either. Course I don't wear em anymore as I've switched to the lighter side: http://www.rei.com/product/763464

Mags
07-14-2009, 14:48
Nope. I replace them about every 12 - 16 months and have never, other than that one step down into too-deep water, had so much as a damp pinky toe. Ever. I happily slosh through streams and come out with completely dry feet every time. I wouldn't keep buying them if wet feet were a problem.

You still need to hike more as any experienced outdoors person will disagree with you. ;) Either that, the sun must always shine for you. :sun

All shoes get wet. Seriously. Unless you don't spend much time outside. ;)

Rainman
07-14-2009, 15:40
Another vote for Montrail Torre GTX. I have a wide foot and wear the "wide" version. But for that shoe, I hear that Montrails run a bit narrow.

I have worn these shoes exclusively for the last seeral years. I love them.

Deadeye
07-14-2009, 18:06
You still need to hike more as any experienced outdoors person will disagree with you. ;) Either that, the sun must always shine for you. :sun

All shoes get wet. Seriously. Unless you don't spend much time outside. ;)

Give it a break - the lady says she's got dry feet, she's got dry feet.

Philip
07-15-2009, 05:15
These may be a bit on the heavy-duty side for some people, but I like them...

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/ViewProduct.mvc.aspx/9770M/0/Mens/Traverse?galleryId=M-F

In preparation for a thru-hike 2010, I got lucky and found a pair for $160. I've worn them on one 20-mile weekend hike thus far and am very pleased with their performance. It rained the second day out all day long and my feet stayed dry and comfortable while slogging back to the truck on the Lonestar Trail.

I found that they run a bit small and up-sized a 1/2 size to get the fit I was looking for. I also removed the stock insole and replaced them with Spenco Backpacker Insoles...very supportive and stable...well worth the $$$.

http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=16561&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Products-_-SF-_-V1

HYOH, but I would recommend them if you're looking for supportive, waterproof boots you can expect to last the better part of your thru assuming you replace the insoles as needed and care for the leather on a zero once in a while.

As far as socks are concerned, I am planning to bring along two pairs of Smartwool Hiking Liner Crew Socks, Two pairs of Smartwool Trekking Heavy Crew Socks, a pair of Sealskinz Waterblocker Socks for wet days, and a pair of PossumDown Socks for sleeping in.

Philip
07-15-2009, 05:18
I guess I should also mention that though I'm sure they're pretty water proof out of the box, I went ahead and liberally applied SnoSeal Brand waterproofing.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___10602

Mags
07-15-2009, 15:28
Give it a break - the lady says she's got dry feet, she's got dry feet.

Hobbits have a track record of slinging some interesting info with questionable experience. :)

Besides..I'm SUPPOSED to be cranky, sarcastic and to poke fun. It's part of the culture. ;) We are number 1!
http://www.abc6.com/news/featurestory/50623787.html

(Lone Wolf is also from Rhody.. :D)

Deadeye
07-15-2009, 18:34
Besides..I'm SUPPOSED to be cranky, sarcastic and to poke fun. It's part of the culture. ;) We are number 1!
http://www.abc6.com/news/featurestory/50623787.html

(Lone Wolf is also from Rhody.. :D)

Sorry, my bad. If I had only known. I thought you were just being a jerk (like I'm often assumed to be), but it's clearly environmental. This explains a lot!

Deadeye
07-15-2009, 20:18
Waaaiiiiiit a minute.... Hobbits don't wear boots:-?

njordan2
07-15-2009, 20:28
Asolo Fugitive GTX. Hands down the absolute best hiking boots for the A.T.

If you wear 11-11.5 buy the 11.5, if your feet are on the wide side, buy wide.

Jonnycat
07-17-2009, 12:31
Waaaiiiiiit a minute.... Hobbits don't wear boots:-?

Perhaps not, but faeries do.

Tenderheart
07-17-2009, 14:29

I totally agree with Blissful. She knows of what she speaks. However, if you are determined to wear boots, I knew several who swore by LL Bean
Cresta Hikers. They pretty much all switched to trail shoes eventually, but had nothing but high praises for the Crestas.

litefoot 2000

beep
07-27-2009, 13:49
More than anything, the best boots are those that fit your feet well.

Second, I detest anything with a GoreTex liner. They make my feet sweat like mad and take forever to dry when (inevitably) they get wet inside...stream crossings, slips off the rocks into the water, etc.

Third, I'm learning (the hard way through trial and error) that for most hiking/backpacking, lighter is better. My feet and I are much happier with less weight. I'm traditionally guilty of "overbuying" to have more boot than I need, so figuring out that less is more is a big step! (I attribute it to gear lust!!:)