PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the CT AT

RITBlake
07-10-2004, 23:40
Buddy and I are doing the Connecticut section in a couple weeks. Can anyone give us some kind of accurate timetable? things not to miss?

Tramper Al
07-11-2004, 09:43
Hi,

The Emblidge "Exploring the AT" book divides the trail into 5 day hikes. I hiked it in 4 day hikes, including driving and bike spotting. It was recently hiked (run) in a single day. I would recommend 3 to 4 days for the average backpacker.

I think most of the 'don't miss' features are right on the trail. I would recommend the side trip to Frissell's shoulder, the CT state highpoint, at the northern terminus of the AT in CT.

texashiker
07-11-2004, 12:05
I just hiked CT and recommend 4 days. (Gives you time to stop and look at some of the nice overlooks.) I don't know how other people feel but I was thinking that NY to MA was the way to go. I was thinking about doing it the opposite way and I think that I picked the correct way to go.

eyahiker
07-11-2004, 16:34
What's the "last trailhead" in CT before the MA line? Any suggestions on how to get to it via vehicle/taxi?

krazychefkurt
07-11-2004, 17:34
Bear mountian has a parking area that is safe to park in, but a few miles up rt 41 in mass there is another trailhead never parked there though. There is a sweet waterfall up the trail from the parking area in mass and is a great hike off the at and you could even walk the road back to ct to your car.

slatchley
07-11-2004, 17:36
What's the "last trailhead" in CT before the MA line? Any suggestions on how to get to it via vehicle/taxi?See thread http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5037&highlight=undermountain+trail

eyahiker
07-11-2004, 21:51
Thanks:jump Will be parking in VT and taking bus ( ?) back to the area in CT. Any suggestions? Please let me know!

A-Train
07-11-2004, 22:12
Yeah, there are bus stops in Kent, Cornwall Bridge and Falls Village I believe. Can take Bonanza/Greyhound from VT (Manchester, Rutland etc.) to CT easily. The bus stops outside Bairds General store in Cornwall bridge, an easy mile walk or hitch to the AT or at the Fife and Drum Inn in Kent, half a mile off the AT.

As far as don't miss places:

Rand's View is awesome. Its 3.5 miles south of Salisbury with an open field and expansive view of the taconic range. I don't like to break rules and offer advice on doing so, but this would be an excellent spot to camp. At least take a long lunch here.

The 5 mile Housatonic River walk is pretty cool too.

The view of the Limestone Racetrack is neat if they are racing that day.

Riga shelter has great sunrise/sets.

Sages Ravine just into Massachusetts offers swimming/camping and shouldn't be missed.

The view from Lions Head and Bear Mtn are both good and I think the stretch from CT41 at Salisbury to the Mass line is a gem in itself. Enjoy and don';t foget the bug spray!

texashiker
07-11-2004, 22:16
We actually parked at Bear Mountain... (have to take side trail Paradise Lane Trail and then Undermountain Trail). Had the car there overnight for a couple of nights and had it when we got back to it. : )

There really did not seem like there was a good way to get to it via taxi or anything like that. The closest town is South Egremont in MA. The next closest town is Salisbury, CT.

Tramper Al
07-12-2004, 09:55
I did much of my CT AT section hike solo with my one car. I actually found the AT in CT to be ideally suited to bicycling from car spot to trailhead. This would work well for day sections, or a hike on the the full CT AT. The Housatonic River Valley always has a road on one or both sides, making for nice level bicycling terrain.

2XL
07-12-2004, 15:21
I don't think the bus lines service that route anymore. I did a quick search on Bonanza and Greyhound and got nothing.

A-Train
07-12-2004, 16:01
I guess you're right. Sorry for this mis-information. Just 2 yrs I rode that line with no prob. Guess they weren't selling enough tickets. The North East Kingdom line in Vermont has also been shut down, which used to be a good way to get home after finishing the Long Trail

eyahiker
07-12-2004, 20:09
Can take Berkshire bus from NAdams for $3.00 to Great Barrington, jump on Bonanza bus to Canaan, CT. Find a way the 20 or so miles to Salisbury/Rt. 41.

hmmmm. What do you think?

slatchley
07-12-2004, 21:40
Let me know when and if I am available Ill pick you up in Canaan. I live a hop skip and a jump from Undermountain Trail parking.

judgeh
07-12-2004, 21:54
Let me know when and if I am available Ill pick you up in Canaan. I live a hop skip and a jump from Undermountain Trail parking.
You're not kidding! Just drove through Lakeville yesterday on my way to dayhike Everett and Race. Everytime I'm there I think about retiring to your area. A beautiful part of the world...with the AT in your backyard!

eyahiker
07-12-2004, 22:18
Thanks so much! Will be in touch:banana

Footslogger
07-13-2004, 12:40
Connecticut goes pretty fast in general but one thing in particular I remember from last year was the day I did the long level stretch next to the Housatonic. Man ...you can really fly that day !!

'Slogger

texashiker
07-13-2004, 12:42
Yeah there is a 4mile stretch there. The problem is if you NOBO then you have St. John's after that and the downhill is pretty rocky.

RITBlake
07-13-2004, 16:01
How about the water situation in CT in mid August, will we struggle to obtain water?

slatchley
07-13-2004, 16:46
How about the water situation in CT in mid August, will we struggle to obtain water?
Right now things have dried up a bit, but when I was out lasrt weekend there was still water at most sources, although much less than a few weeks ago.

judgeh
07-13-2004, 18:17
Depends where you are in Connecticut. Some streams will dry up in mid August but there is usually enough to get you through. If the rain was as heavy in Kent as it was here in southern Ct.yesterday and this morning, the streams have filled up again.

RITBlake
07-13-2004, 19:25
Where abouts in Southern CT judge? I'm from Cheshire, CT

2XL
07-13-2004, 20:47
I was at Riga lean-to last weekend and the spring there was OK. Brassie Brook was OK as well.
It's good to see more CT. people on the site recently.
I am from Ridgefield,CT.

judgeh
07-13-2004, 21:41
Where abouts in Southern CT judge? I'm from Cheshire, CT
Old Greenwich.

I hike Sleeping Giant about six times a year...that's near you if I'm not mistaken.

RITBlake
07-13-2004, 22:58
yah sleeping giant is in my back yard (literally) I've hiked there about once every two weeks for as long as I can remember, know it like the back of my hand

judgeh
07-14-2004, 05:44
yah sleeping giant is in my back yard (literally) I've hiked there about once every two weeks for as long as I can remember, know it like the back of my hand
I've always thought the Blue/white/green/yellow trails are a good approximation of the CT AT. Hiking it every two weeks, you should be ready to thru hike, climb all 46 in the Adirondaks and Everest as well! It's a great area to train.

RITBlake
07-14-2004, 10:33
Yah I've heard something about everest, something about a big pile of rocks?

The Eleven
09-22-2004, 11:02
Yeah, I agree, Sleeping Giant is loaded with similar terrain one would find on AT. Great place for a day hike and I use it to warm up for AT myself. I'm just 45 minutes from it....Fairfield, CT. Good to hear sound offs from WB members in CT. I too would like to begin thinking about how to set up retirement in the NW corner...maybe just over the state line. Absolutely gorgoeus up there. Love that Sages Ravine/Race Mt area! Bear Rock campsite just over the state line on the AT provides a nice waterfall, where, if one is careful, you can get down and under the fall for a shower, but where something on your feet for gripping. There should be a small side trail that swings back to the waterfall ledge. Not easily found. Happy Trails! Steve (Little Bear 2)