PDA

View Full Version : The restriction of the mummy

Puppy
07-11-2009, 22:44
Last year when I went from Springer to Damascus (March/April) I was about to go clinically insane from the way the mummy bag locked my legs together. Yes, nice and warm but tight legs and less sleep.

It really seemed that my legs would not recover nearly as much because of the restriction during sleep. When I stayed at a hotel and could stretch out, my legs felt a million times better the next morning.

The only negative thing I can ever say about hiking is that dangnabit mummy bag.

I am wondering if a regular bag would work when I go again. And if so - a recommendation for light weight but warm. I used the 20 degree Western Mountaineering with liner last year.

I also saw a "bag" advertised in a magazine that looked more like a snowmobile suit, with legs and arms... any experience with that ?

YoungMoose
07-11-2009, 22:48
I had the same problem so i bought my bag in its long version even though it was more then enough. but as a result i had practically double the leg space. it takes away from the warmth though becuase there is more air but i was willing to give that up

Wags
07-11-2009, 23:51
perhaps check out a semi-rectangular bag

Tabasco
07-12-2009, 00:22
Marmot Wasatch bag. Same issue for me on the legs.

Summit
07-12-2009, 06:58
This is why I like a much lower temp rated bag than conditions call for. I prefer to just stick my feet in the foot box, leave it unzipped, and basically use it as a quilt, draped over me. With my Big Agnes zero dregree Dual Air Core mattress, I stay toasty warm unzipped down into the low 20s.

Last spring doing an AT - Bartram Trail loop, we experienced a couple of nights in the teens and I did have to zip the bag up. I also always buy the "long" version, which in addition to being, well, long, they are wider at all points as well, and work well for broad shouldered people like myself.

kanga
07-12-2009, 07:37
i'm sorta claustrophobic and i hate mummys. however, my back's torn up and i had to get rid of weight everywhere i could. i got a montbell ul ss and it stretches out farther than my rectangular did. plus i weighs 1/2.

Big Dawg
07-12-2009, 08:06
I prefer to just stick my feet in the foot box, leave it unzipped, and basically use it as a quilt, draped over me.

Me too. Then if I have the need to separate the legs a bit, I can pull one out of the foot box.

rcli4
07-12-2009, 08:30
Either loose some weight, your to fat for the bag, or get a Montbell Super Stretch bag. I have the # 2 and love it. Much easier to buy the bag then loose the weight.

Clyde

kanga
07-12-2009, 08:54
clyde. you just called a girl fat. and your location is posted on your profile. have you been drinking?

rcli4
07-12-2009, 09:02
I didn't say she was fat, she is just to fat for that bag :>))

superman
07-12-2009, 09:12
i'm sorta claustrophobic and i hate mummys. however, my back's torn up and i had to get rid of weight everywhere i could. i got a montbell ul ss and it stretches out farther than my rectangular did. plus i weighs 1/2.

I use a down, LL Bean rectangular sleeping bag for the same reasons...except being too fat. I use it open like a quilt. :)

Egads
07-12-2009, 09:17
Get a Montbell SS Down Hugger

g8trh8tr
07-12-2009, 09:42
I agree with Egads....Montbell SS Down Hugger is the way to go.

fiddlehead
07-12-2009, 09:49
A mummy bag is tight for a reason: Efficiency!
Any bag that has extra space in it will take more of your body heat to warm that space up. For what? So you think you are more comfortable? Believe me, you can get used to a tight foot box and proper fitting sleeping bag.

I've seen people get used to a lot worse things than a bag that fits.
Maybe spend a few nights out in your bag in the winter and see how the mummy keeps you warmer than a rectangular bag. You'll then be glad for the good fitting bag.

saimyoji
07-12-2009, 09:51
try this one out:

http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/image/MoosejawMB/10048907x1030865_zm?$product475$

Ladytrekker
07-12-2009, 10:18
Either loose some weight, your to fat for the bag, or get a Montbell Super Stretch bag. I have the # 2 and love it. Much easier to buy the bag then loose the weight.

Clyde

I had to look at the gallery I am from Jax also, that dog is disturbing but my office got a good laugh.

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2009, 10:23
I didn't say she was fat, she is just to fat for that bag :>))

That's it - I quit! Kanga, pour water on the campfire, I am going back to bed! Now I just read & heard everything!:eek:

kanga
07-12-2009, 10:24
I use a down, LL Bean rectangular sleeping bag for the same reasons...except being too fat. I use it open like a quilt. :)
that's my old rectangular bag too, but synthetic! i love that bag. but you could knock over a hobbit with it.

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2009, 10:29
that's my old rectangular bag too, but synthetic! i love that bag. but you could knock over a hobbit with it.

What? You cannot knock a Hobbit over - they have big feet!http://shakashawshow.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/hobbit_feet1.jpg

kanga
07-12-2009, 10:48
you can with a bag that heavy!!

Toolshed
07-12-2009, 11:00
MontBell SS Down get a Long. Tons of room. I didn't see your height mentioned, but if you are 5'11" and your bag says it fits to 6', I honestly beleive you need a longer version.

cowboy nichols
07-12-2009, 11:02
Who needs the Sunday comics ??? just sign on here for my laughs.HA HAHA AAAAAAs

JERMM
07-12-2009, 11:10

geez-a whole clan of hobbits could sleep in a big-o LL Bean rec bag

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2009, 11:53
Who needs the Sunday comics ??? just sign on here for my laughs.HA HAHA AAAAAAs

Yea kick back loosen your boots, throw another stick on the fire and enjoy the dark roasted coffee....:welcome

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2009, 12:06
My bag is a Rei Kelo Flash is tight in the shoulders and chest - kind of an opposite problem and I get the nervous kick thing at night that everyone talks about. It sometimes a near sleepness night. I am working on it.

Ender
07-12-2009, 12:08
First, the thread title sounds like the title for an awesome B-movie horror flick.

Second, try just using your existing bag as a quilt. If that doesn't work, look at semi-rectangular bags... Western Mountaineering makes more than a few of them, all lightweight.

Walking Dead
07-12-2009, 13:15
http://www.lippiselkbag.co.uk/

JERMM
07-12-2009, 13:32
http://www.lippiselkbag.co.uk/

LOL- I went to the site under description, their comfort and extreme rating system is based on a "standard" adult woman. What the hell is a standard adult woman? Lower limits are based on a "standard" adult man, again what the hell is a standard adult man. Any of you out there reading this a "standard"? What is that like a standard poodle or something.

The Lippi Selk'Bag1 has been developed with warmth and value for money in mind. It's ideal for summer festivals, for disconcerting couch potatoes and a fantastic choice for everyday camping.

Lippi Selk'Bag One Version1 Characteristics:

Total Weight: 1950 GSM.
Filling: Polyester Hollow Fibre Bonded, 1X200g/sqm, Good Performance, Elastic.
Shel / Lining: Nylon 210T / 70 Deniers, Soft Touch.
Comfort Temp: +9.7 Degrees Celcius*
Lower Limit Temp: +5.5 Degrees Celcius*
Extreme Temp: -8.4 Degrees Celcius*
Sizes: Small / Medium
Large / Extra Large

* As tested by European EN 13537 standard (EU NORM)

Comfort: The comfort rating is based on a 'standard' adult woman having a comfortable night's sleep.

Lower Limit: The lower limit is based on the lowest temperature at which a 'standard' adult man is deemed to be able to have a comfortable night's sleep.

Extreme: The extreme rating is a survival only rating for a 'standard' adult woman. This is an extreme survival rating only and it is not advisable to rely on this rating for general use.

superman
07-12-2009, 14:21
geez-a whole clan of hobbits could sleep in a big-o LL Bean rec bag

Actually two hobbits. Pat put a matching zipper on rip stop material the same dimensions as the bag. We only need one sleeping bag for two people. The rip stop goes underneath our thermarests. This prevents one person from cacooning and hogging the whole sleeping bag.:) When I use to hike with Winter I would cover both of us with the open sleeping bag.

Bidwell
07-13-2009, 17:50
Yeah yeah... it was already posted here many times, but Montbell SS Down Hugger is the way to go. I am a weird side sleeper and I need all the room I can get. I think the temperature-rating-efficiency-whatever loses a little strength, but if you're like me, and it sounds like you are, get this! You'll get a nicer night sleep :)