PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk hammocks

RITBlake
07-11-2004, 00:10
I'm pretty intrigued by hammock camping and I have a few newbie questions on the matter: When you are on the AT is it difficult to find good places to set up? Is it difficult to do at night? Also how do you stay dry during heavy rain and winds? How do you keep your pack dry at night w/ out the protection of a tent? Finally do you use the hammock in conjunction w/ a sleeping bag or is the hammock self contained.

In this post I'm referring to the Hennessey hammock

:clap

steve hiker
07-11-2004, 01:14
There are hundreds of hammock threads on Whiteblaze. Click the Search button above and enter hammock. That should bring up 50 or so threads. Then repeat with hammocks, Hennessey, and HH. You'll be reading for days.

Probably the best place on the net for hammock info is Sgt. Rock's site, http://hikinghq.net/forum/ Lots of technical as well as general information.

attroll
07-11-2004, 02:01
You can also look through the hammock camping forums. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104

But to answer a couple of your questions. I have not done a thru-hike yet but I have a HH and love it. All you need it two trees. I have hiked all of Maine and have not had any problem finding two trees. I keep my pack right under my hammock at night if it rains. I have to admit though that I have not been in any heavy rain yet. I use a sleeping bag with my HH. I don't know what you mean by self contained. The hammock I have is just like a tent you have to have all the other accessories that you do with a tent. The benifits are that you can set it up over rocks, roots and don't have to worry about being on the hard ground. There are no poles to use in setting it up. It is very light. Mine is less then 2 pounds. So you can save weight as most lightweight tents weigh at least 4 to 5 pounds. You can set it up in less then two minutes or less once you have done it a couple of times.

RITBlake
07-11-2004, 05:16
my apologies fellas, didn't realize there was a hammock camping section, sorry!

Hammock Hanger
07-11-2004, 07:48
my apologies fellas, didn't realize there was a hammock camping section, sorry!
No need to be sorry. You would not have know all the great places to look if you hadn't asked. After doing some reading if you still have questions please feel free to come back and ask. Sue/HH

peter_pan
07-11-2004, 08:17
If you are interested in warmth and luxury in your hammock, esp a HH check out www.jacksrbetter.com . Enjoy hanging out.

Rambler
07-18-2004, 12:20
Find out about Skins. They help keep you hammock dry and easily packed.

DMA, 2000
07-18-2004, 23:28
I prefer to sleep on my side, but I twist and turn A LOT. Is this a problem in a hammock? Would I find myself on the ground several times each night?

trippclark
07-19-2004, 09:33
I too toss and turn a lot in bed, but I think that is just trying to get confortable. In a hammock, I find that I do not move around nearly as much because it is SOOOO comfortable. I'm not sure, of course, that the same will be true for you, but others I have spoken with have the same experience. Also, at home in bed I very rarely sleep on my back . . . I am a side sleeper. In the hammock, I have no problem sleeping on my back. It is strange, but I think that the differnt support provided in the hammock changes the way that you sleep. That is what I have found anyway.

Tripp

2XL
07-19-2004, 12:21
I prefer to sleep on my side, but I twist and turn A LOT. Is this a problem in a hammock? Would I find myself on the ground several times each night?

I move from back, side or even stomach sleeping positions in my HH during the night and I can honestly say that I have not had a bad night's sleep.
When I get back home from an outing I cannot believe how hard and uncomfortable my bed is!
As for falling out of the HH, next to impossible. Look at one of the pictures on the HH site and you will see how the entry system and tie outs keeps this from happening.

JackW
07-19-2004, 13:32
While the original post on this topic was in regard to a HH, this reply applies to all kinds and brands of Hammocks. I used a Clark Jungle Hammock with a closed cell pad (for insulation from the cold) and a sleeping bag. Also on a CJH (Deluxe Model) there are pockets (6 of them) with which additional warmth can be gotten by stuffing them with clothing or other items.

The Pack can be stored under the hammock at night or hanged in a tree.

The CJH has a Fly (in addition to the storm fly and bug net that zip up completely) that is hung over the hammock and which can be hung prior to haning the hammock so that the Hammock is hung dry during a rain.

I have slept cold at night (when the temps go low it gets cold) and I have slept with comfort. It depends on one's preparation.

Can it be set up at night (after dark)? Yes, but I prefer to do so in the daylight to avoid trees with Poison Ivy, hanging (loose) branches, trees that are dead, and trees which may contain Hornet Nests/Hives.