PDA

View Full Version : Heineken Beer Can Pot

John Klein
07-12-2009, 12:30
What's the best way to cleanly remove the top so I can still use it as a pot lid which fits cleanly? I have read elsewhere that I would need to cut it with a safety cutter but I don't know where to buy one.

Phreak
07-12-2009, 13:06
You can buy a safety cutter at Wal-Mart, Linens-n-Things, etc.

Walking Dead
07-12-2009, 13:10
Most grocery stores have a side cutting opener, about $8. Cutts the can top open by splitting the rolled rim giving you a top that can be put back on like a pot lid but is not sharp on the edges. I'd still run a piece of fine grit sandpaper around the rim afterwards.

GeneralLee10
07-12-2009, 13:42
I used and have always used a bastard file metal shears work also. I was taking the top's off the can when i was a teen but never thought of the use for a pan/pot. I made them for hiding things in because the top of the can looks real when put back on then just put on my shelf.

cwayman1
07-12-2009, 16:06
yeah it's just a side-cutting can opener. "safety cutter" makes it sound all "manly" and you think it has to be found next to the box cutters and goggles. it took me forever to figure out that it was just the can opener at my church!

cwayman1

CowHead
07-13-2009, 10:57
here's a pic of mine and I just used a can opener

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/8/0/0/p7060001.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=35100&original=1&c=member&imageuser=18800)

with water boiling on my first attempt at making a cat stove
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/8/0/0/p7060002.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=35103&original=1&c=member&imageuser=18800)

jeremyduncan
01-24-2010, 05:04
I took mine into walmart and used the side cutting can opener right there in the store.

I have an electric can opener at home, no need to spend 10 bucks on this one to use one time.

They might not love the fact that you did that, but they CANT make you buy it and probably wouldn't even say anything if they saw you. If they do, just say you were testing it so see if you like it.

moytoy
01-24-2010, 05:37
You don't really need a can opener to cut the lid off. Just use a knife to score under the top lip. Just keep going around and around taking a little off at a time. It took me about 10 min. if I remember correctly. You probably want to be over a sink or outside so the beer doesn't make a mess. Use the sharp point of a knife or a serated edge of a steak knife. It's easier if you clamp the knife steady with something and rotate the can.

Shiraz-mataz
01-24-2010, 07:32
I have to object to any method involving a can opener or cutting!!! I work in a metal shop and was once pondering the same question so I brought my can in and asked one of the guys. He said, "Just sand it off!" He was spot-on right too. Holding the top of the can against a flat sander, the rim was sanded down until the little metal band that's soldered to the aluminum skin broke through. At that point the round top (with the pop top) was freely removed. And the best part of this is that the outer portion of that ring stays attached around the perimeter, strengthening the top and leaving a nice lip should you want to drink from the can. You could do the samething with a sanding block - it will just take a little patience but the result is worth it.

Shiraz-mataz
01-24-2010, 07:41
OH! I just thought of one more piece of helpful information... Once you get that lid cut off there may come a time when you wish there was a plastic lid for your Heinekin pot. After trying every platic lid in the house I discovered that the lid to a tennis ball tube works perfectly!

Skidsteer
01-24-2010, 10:29
.. And the best part of this is that the outer portion of that ring stays attached around the perimeter, strengthening the top and leaving a nice lip should you want to drink from the can....

That's what the safety can opener does. It splits the rim of the lid leaving half on the can and half on the lid.

mister krabs
01-24-2010, 12:38
I have to object to any method involving a can opener or cutting!!! I work in a metal shop and was once pondering the same question so I brought my can in and asked one of the guys. He said, "Just sand it off!" He was spot-on right too. Holding the top of the can against a flat sander, the rim was sanded down until the little metal band that's soldered to the aluminum skin broke through. At that point the round top (with the pop top) was freely removed. And the best part of this is that the outer portion of that ring stays attached around the perimeter, strengthening the top and leaving a nice lip should you want to drink from the can. You could do the samething with a sanding block - it will just take a little patience but the result is worth it.

It strikes me that you could do the same thing on a sidewalk. Like how we sharpened sticks as kids.

tammons
01-24-2010, 16:05
That is a survival technique for opening a can when you dont have a can opener.

For pot cans I just use a deep cut regular can opener. I had to bend the stop tab down a bit to get it cut deep enough.

Stoviegal
01-25-2010, 00:13
I took mine into walmart and used the side cutting can opener right there in the store.

I have an electric can opener at home, no need to spend 10 bucks on this one to use one time.

They might not love the fact that you did that, but they CANT make you buy it and probably wouldn't even say anything if they saw you. If they do, just say you were testing it so see if you like it.

I wish I could have been there to see that one. :eek: :D

jeremyduncan
01-25-2010, 04:44
Haha. Originally I was just going in there to buy one, thinking it would be like $2-4. When I seen it was $10 I figured that would defeat the whole purpose of saving money. I already had like $4 invested in the beer can. So, then I was going to buy it, cut the lid off in the parking lot, then return it. On my way to the registers I got to thinking about my days as loss prevention (security)in a discount store (Shopko), and realized they couldn't do anything if I just brought the can right in and did it. That saved then the hassle of a return at the service desk, anyway. I brought the can in in a plastic grocery bag, btw.

As for the suggestions to grind it off. Seems like that would mess up the lid, though. Using the side cutters leaves the lid and the band perfectly in tact. Plus, not many people have access to a band or wheel sander.

Removing it with a hand sander or the sidewalk just seems like madness, unless you live about 100miles from any stores.

I've used a knife to cut through a can before. It can be done with some patience. I don't think you could keep the band on the top using this method. That band really helps keep the top edge in tact.

Stoviegal
01-25-2010, 10:47
I'm quite the frugal one myself, when I found out the price of those things, I was like, bad joke right? LOL. I ended up buying one on ebay a little under $5 shipping included.

jeremyduncan
01-26-2010, 04:37
I'm quite the frugal one myself, when I found out the price of those things, I was like, bad joke right? LOL. I ended up buying one on ebay a little under $5 shipping included.
It'd be worth having one of those around the house for that price. I really like the way it cuts the lids off. Just, yeah, not for $10.

Rick500
01-26-2010, 10:14
Tried to use a side cut opener I bought from Meijer last night; didn't work, the wheel and cutter aren't deep enough. Guess I'll take it back and check Walmart for another brand.

Stoviegal
01-26-2010, 11:15
This is the one I bought and it works quite well so far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EASI-LIFT-CAN-OPENER-KITCHEN-RED-WHITE-COLOR-NEW_W0QQitemZ110410097147QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item19b4f461fb

jeremyduncan
01-27-2010, 03:04
AWESOME! just bought it.