PDA

View Full Version : hiking clothes help

STICK
07-12-2009, 15:00
My gf posted this on the womens forum on the backpacker site and we were wondering what kind of responses we would get from everyone here, also because its and AT specific question.
So thanks for the responses....

Im hikin with my bf on the AT in 2 months. I still hvent brought any clothes yet. I hve been lookin at the Under Armour. Im lookin at gettin a shortsleeve heatgear, longsleeve heatgear, a womens powerstretch polartec, n a precip jacket as my hikin outfit so to say. Plannin to bring 2 undies, 2 bras, 2 pairs of socks, a set of sleeping clothes (cotton undies n socks, long johns, n a t-shirt). Is that enough for 5 days n is under armour good quality for hikin?

Also, since she posted this our journey this September has changed from 5 days to 9 days.
:-?
Thanks

Blissful
07-12-2009, 20:16
Where on the trail? That makes a big difference with your clothing. If you are down south past the Mason Dixon line, it will still be summer-like weather.

But for starts - go with convertible pants. One sports bra only. And bring three pairs of socks to hike in if you are planning on 9 days (two would be fine for 5).

The only under armour I own is the short sleeve t-shirt. I don't like form fitting stuff myself.

Need a hat. I bring one no matter what.

STICK
07-12-2009, 20:31
Sorry, we will be starting at Amicalola and trying to finish up at the GA/NC line, Bly Gap.

saimyoji
07-12-2009, 21:34
clothes are optional :sun

wystiria
07-13-2009, 13:46
clothing is very personal but here is my 2cents.

I agree with the above poster on the following:
1 sports bra - if she really wants 2 I bring a super light weight teck bra to wear while I wash my sports bra.

3pairs of socks, and liners for 9 nights.

I also would bring 3 undies,

Now - it should be warm so my suggestion would be shorts (1 or possibly 2 pair), and then rain pants which will double as hiking pants it if is cold.

2 t-shirts, 1 Jacket - I probably would leave the fleece home and bring 1 long sleeved shirt instead.

leave the long johns home, and sleep in the hiking gear you didn't wear that day (t-shirt and shorts or just t-shirt) rinse items out in streams etc.

so my clothing list for 9 days woudl be:
1 sports bra
1 shelf bra
3 pairs socks
3 pairs liners
3 undies
2 T shirts
1 long sleeve shirt (optional)
1 pair shorts, 2nd pair optional
Rain pants
Gortex Jacket
hat

Blissful
07-13-2009, 19:48
leave the long johns home, and sleep in the hiking gear you didn't wear that day (t-shirt and shorts or just t-shirt) rinse items out in streams etc.

I felt washing anything a real hassle in camp when you are tired out (plus washing clothes in a stream kind of makes me feel irky, knowing it could be a water source) so I never did it myself.

You really only need one set of hiking clothes and one set of camp clothes that could be used for bed.

modiyooch
07-13-2009, 20:05
The UA sleeveless heat gear is a must for me, including the bra. I also use the compression or cold gear, but it doesn't have to be UA. the heat gear is easy wash and wear. many times in the summer, i just wet it in the creek and let it dry on me to help cool me off.

River Runner
07-13-2009, 22:20
Are you hiking the first of September, or the last of September? It can make a difference in the type of clothing you bring, although I've seen the mountains cool even in early September.

Personally I would go with 1 pair convertible pants, 1 short sleeve shirt of your choice (I like wool for the odor resistant properties, breathability, and warm when wet factors), 1 light weight long sleeve shirt, 1 light weight base layer long john pants, 1 light weight insulated jacket (like the Montbell down inner), 1 lightweight rain jacket, 1 pair rain pants or rain chaps, 2 pair wool socks, 2 pair underwear, 1 bra. I might even add a very light weight pair of runner style shorts, which can be pulled over the long johns for extra modesty around camp and the 'hiker chic' cool look when sitting around town chilling while your convertible pants are washing.

Sleep in the long sleeve shirt & base layer long john pants - September nights should be cooling down. Then if you absolutely need them on a cold day, you can always hike in them.

You should be able to do laundry along the way if you want - possiblilities are at Woody Gap (the Hiker Hostel), Neel's Gap, Unicoi Gap, and Dick's Creek Gap, although only Neel's Gap is right on the trail so to speak and the others involve getting a ride or arranging a shuttle service.

Avoid cotton anything - even sleeping clothes. If you happen to get them wet for any reason, they take forever to dry and will chill you, whereas if you sleep in wool socks you can always hike in your sleeping pair the last day before a laundry stop. Wicking nylon briefs like those from ExOfficio are more comfortable and dryer than cotton undies. I tried a pair of wool briefs on my most recent trip, and I rather liked them, but I'm not sure I prefer them over the ExOfficio ones or not.

wystiria
07-14-2009, 09:08
I felt washing anything a real hassle in camp when you are tired out (plus washing clothes in a stream kind of makes me feel irky, knowing it could be a water source) so I never did it myself.

You really only need one set of hiking clothes and one set of camp clothes that could be used for bed.

Heh I can't imagine not rinsing out the clothing especially on a hot sweaty day :) but that is why clothing etc is just so personal!!! you gotta so what is best for you!!

skinewmexico
07-14-2009, 12:41
Never wash clothes in a stream. And there are about a thousand choices equivalent to UA, at half the price. Or less. Just won't impress as many frustrated high school atheletes.

wystiria
07-14-2009, 13:11
Never wash clothes in a stream

Ok I will bite? why? assuming no soap so not really washing.

wystiria
07-14-2009, 13:11
also assuming you are down stream from a water source etc.

STICK
07-15-2009, 17:57
It will be Labor day week/end when we start our hike, so we are expecting warm to hot days with hopefully cool nights.

She is looking at some of TNF pants that convert to shorts, but not by zipper, I think that they tie on the sides.

For ss shirt, she is looking at the ss UA heatgear t. She has looked at alot of others that she likes, such as some of the stuff that is at Old Navy and found on the Athleta site, but most of it is like 65% synthetic and 35% organic cotton. We are under the understanding that cotton is bad, but with so much of the shirts and stuff for women being a blend we were wondering how does this blend do? Is it ok for her to get a cotton blend, or should she stay away from cotton all together?

For ls she wants to get a ls UA probably heatgear, but debating the cold gear.

For a midweight she wants to get a powerstretch.

We want to carry at least a midweight just because we would rather have it and not need it than the other way around. Even in 50* weather hypothermia is still a possibility!!

She is still looking into an insulated jacket. She has one that will be fine but it could be lighter and pack down smaller, but its an option!

She will be taking 3 pair of socks, and she is still debating whether she wants to use the liners, she is trying that out right now with and without.

She wants to carry 2 pair of undies and I think she is going to take 2 sportsbras (I cant remember for sure.)

She wants to get a Precip for a top and we are thinking of getting some Driducks and carrying the pants.

She is going to get a pair of something like the Capilene long pants for bed time that can also be used during the day if needed.

She has a pair of shorts that are virtually nothing in my opinion, its some of those shorts that the cheerleaders practice in, anyway, she will carry those for when we are in town doing laundry.

Anyway, this is all I can think of so far, so let me know what yall think of this. She reads over these post but rathers me respond to them! Haha, so I have to try to remember some stuff!!

Thanks!!

Blissful
07-15-2009, 20:00
Hey, tell her she can come on, we don't bite!! And all of us were beginners and trying to figure things out, what works and what doesn't. :)

wystiria
07-16-2009, 09:47
Ditto Blissful might be easier for her to come here directly :) most of us have our prefered clothing etc and we found it thru trial and error.

BTW I love love love the powerstretch clothing. LOVE it lol. and it has held up pretty well for me so far. I especially love the pants that are fuzzy on the inside and wind resistant on the outside for winter hiking :) but have both the long S and T shirt type shirts.

I haven't used any of the cotton blends and i would stay away from them for the reasons you listed. there are just soo many tech gear options now why bother with a cotton blend.

I have to use liners my feet are just sensitive so that isn't an option for me. its great that she is trying things out. just make sure she is carrying weight while she tries things. becasue I run and what I can do running is DRASTICALLY different than what I can do backpacking gear wise (the extra weight on my feet is especially difficult)

I carry a marmot sky light gortex jacket and since it is a bit heavier weight wise, I rarely need a fleece untill the nights are below 40's hense why I wouldn't carry one.

I also almost never hike in pants unless its cold enough for my power stretch tights soooo my rain pants are more than enough pants for me :)

I wish I could get the convertables...but so far have yet to find a pair that fit comfortably and don't restrict movement. *sigh* bums me out.

the extra light weight shorts are a great idea! I have "camp" shorts and I sleep in these....I I am a warm sleeper and its rare I wear more than a t-shirt and shorts to bed. I also have warm bags.

but even over memorial day when we had weather in the 30's (shock!!! in PA) and my DH and I were carrying one bag that we used as a blanket, I was fine. just wore my rain gear to bed and had no issues. so for me I cut a few items out so I can carry something else (like my outback oven lol)

sorry that got super long!!!!

wtmntcaretaker
07-16-2009, 10:43
stay away from cotton socks. I think those were mentioned in the first post. cotton socks always gave me blisters regardless of if I was hiking or not. if it is only for bed time I would suggest light weight wool as your alternative.

ohmeringue
11-29-2009, 15:39
Stick = stay away from cotton. All my gear has to do double duty/double jobs.

I got a hold of merino wool icebreaker womens boxer shorts. No seams, and I will be warm for my first layer. Have worn these in 90 degree weather and they breathe!

You may like these.

Ohmeringue