PDA

View Full Version : Footwear

Crazy_Al
07-11-2004, 12:35
I bought some Montrail Wasatch trail running shoes for an upcoming 80 mile hike on the AT in Georgia.

I have low arches which causes pain in the big toe joints.
I remove the Montrail foot pad insert and replace with POWERSTEP Arch supports which greatly reduce pain. I am surprised there is so little discussion about footwear on WhiteBlaze. My feet can cause a lot of pain.

Uncle Wayne
07-12-2004, 07:09
I am surprised there is so little discussion about footwear on WhiteBlaze.

Actually there's quite a lot of footwear discussion. Do a search for footwear and you'll see 78 or so threads that at least have the word "footwear" in them. Not all of them pertain to footwear or the problem you mentioned but skip those and read the ones that do. Lots of good info there.

MOWGLI
07-12-2004, 07:32
I am surprised there is so little discussion about footwear on WhiteBlaze. My feet can cause a lot of pain.

I tend to ignore most every thread that talks about footwear. Fitting boots and/or trail runners is a very personal thing. Footwear is unlike any other piece of gear. Just because a particular brand of shoe works well for me, that doesn't mean that it will work well for your foot. Some people here swear by sandals. Others like full grain leather boots. Others swear by trail runners. Some swear by sock liners. Others (like me) don't use sock liners....

If you have real problems with your feet, IMO, a Podiatrist is probably the way to go. Otherwise, you need to go to an outfitter and find someone in the store who really knows how to fit boots. Don't settle for the first person who walks up and says "can I help you?". Ask them how long they have been fitting boots. Ask them if they have had any training, as there are special classes offered for fitting boots.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Little Bear

Hammock Hanger
07-12-2004, 07:58
Don't settle for the first person who walks up and says "can I help you?". Ask them how long they have been fitting boots. Ask them if they have had any training, as there are special classes offered for fitting boots.

Little Bear

So true. I was in DWG's little outfitter's. They are small as is the selection. I asked the sales girl if she had any trail runners with a Vibram sole. She said they didn't carry that brand. I said no it a type of sole not a brand of boot. Long story short she didn't have a clue what I was talking about... If you are unsure how a boot should fit definately go to a reputable shop with experienced sales staff. In contrast when my husband got boots back at Walasi years ago Jeff spent almost an hour trying him in different boot styles. And he got the best fitting boots he ever had.

Today I am a sandal wearer, but they definately are not for everybody. Footwear is more important then all your other equipment. Doesn't matter what else you bring if your feet can't carry you....

Sue/HH

minnesotasmith
07-16-2004, 08:36
I read a thought-provoking section about hiking footwear in this book:

" The Advanced Backpacker: A Handbook of Year Round, Long-Distance Hiking by Chris Townsend (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Townsend%2C%20Chris/104-8226982-7802349)"

He maintained that this guy in Phoenix AZ was tops in his system for fitting hiking boots to feet, and I found him so convincing that I am considering that as a reason to go visit a friend I have out that way, at least long enough to get about 4 pairs of boots from that fitter.
So, surely the people at Walasi are nowhere near the same league? The Phoenix guy can spot pronation, forefoot varus, etc., with the same ease that people with normal eyesight can discern that a loaf of month-old bread furry with green mold is no longer fit to eat. Walasi is certainly closer to where I live, to be sure.

Comments, please?

firefly
07-16-2004, 16:21
Jeff no longer owns Walasi..he sold the store to Wynton..the customer service is still excellent.

minnesotasmith
07-18-2004, 03:41
Do people here think Townsend is onto something with the professional fitter recommendation, or not?

Youngblood
07-18-2004, 08:58
Do people here think Townsend is onto something with the professional fitter recommendation, or not?

Don't know, but Chris Townsend is certainly someone to take seriously. However, you do live a lot closer to the outfitter at Neels Gap, you will pass throught there on you hike and they have fit a few pair of boots themselves... and a lot of them where for thru-hikers that limped in.

So, if you have problems with the boots which would be easiest place to deal with? I don't know the answer to that question either, but figure your chances are better dealing with 'more local' folks, especially ones that you actually pass on the trail.

My best advise would be this: I learned years ago that the more I personally knew about fitting boots, the better my odds where of getting boots that fit well. Make sure the curvature of the soles match the curvature of your feet. If the volume of the boot is a little large, you can adjust for that by wearing thicker socks or using liners... if the volume is a little small, you might can adjust for that by using thinner socks, but usually you are just screwed. The list of things to look for goes on from there, but I think those are the two biggies: make sure of the shape and if you are not sure of the exact size, get it a little big rather than 'just right'. And, I almost forgot another biggie, your feet may expand on a thru-hike and they might also expand from morning to afternoon, so the best time to get fitted is in the afternoon or evening after a day on your feet.

Good luck on the hike and the boots.

Youngblood

smokymtnsteve
07-18-2004, 09:01
your feet also change shape after walking with a 'heavy pack" ...so carry your loaded pack with you when you go to buy shoes/boots.

MOWGLI
07-18-2004, 09:07

Most of the folks at Mast General Store have been trained on how to fit boots. Doraville is not all that far from Greenville, SC. If you find yourself heading up to Greenville, stop in the Mast General Store there. I recently purchased a pair of Garmonts there.

minnesotasmith
07-19-2004, 09:18
I intend to have three broken-in pairs before I set out on my thru- (one with me, and two at home with family acting as support, ready to mail me as needed). I should be able to drive up to NC for boots in a couple of months. BTW, where in Atlanta is the best place to buy hiker gear? I hope to get a better answer than Galyan's.

MOWGLI
07-19-2004, 09:29
where in Atlanta is the best place to buy hiker gear? I hope to get a better answer than Galyan's.

REI has a 100% return policy. If you buy something and don't like it for any reason, they'll refund your money. They have a good selection of gear, and 3 stores in the Atlanta area.

Regarding 3 pairs of broken in boots, I would not personally go that route. Your feet will probably change during your hike. You might also see the need to go to a lighter weight shoe after you first pair wears out. That was certainly the case with me.

minnesotasmith
07-19-2004, 09:35
Thanks for the info. BTW, I've already heard about my feet likely going up a half-size during a thru; I have flat feet, so may have to factor that in? I was thinking that the solution might be to get two pair to leave behind, one that is at least a half-size big, and one that is only slightly big on me.

MOWGLI
07-19-2004, 10:02
Thanks for the info. BTW, I've already heard about my feet likely going up a half-size during a thru; I have flat feet, so may have to factor that in? I was thinking that the solution might be to get two pair to leave behind, one that is at least a half-size big, and one that is only slightly big on me.

If you have flat feet you should probably look at getting a good pair of insoles. The insoles that come with most pairs of boots are usually pretty worthless. That makes going to a footwear store where the Staff is trained all the more important.

My point about going to a lighter weight boot means transitioning from full grain leather to a different type of material (not Gore-Tex!). Full grain leather boots require a significant break-in period. Many of the lighter weigh boots have virtually no break-in period. Of course, you know your feet the best. I'd simply hate to see you invest in 3 pairs of expensive leather boots, spend lots of time breaking them in, only to realize that there is a better way to go.

Kozmic Zian
07-19-2004, 22:54
Yea....MNSmith..You looking for a Ga. Outfitter, right. Try these, Mt.Ventures is good, and the other, Appalachian Outfitters in Dahlonega, is real close to Amicalola SP. KZ@

http://atlanta.citysearch.com/profile/2922032 or http://roadsidegeorgia.com/links/outdoors/trail