PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin to Mahoosuc Notch in 3-4 weeks?

nca777
07-12-2009, 23:03
I'm contemplating a go at the AT from Katahdin to about Mahoosuc Notch or as far as I can go in three to four weeks. Ideally, I'd like to do Katahdin to Washington, but I think this is highly unrealistic in the amount of time I have alotted both in planning and actual hiking.

Admittedly, this plan was hatched on a bit of a whim in the last coupl of weeks, though I don't tthink it's necessarily unfeasible given my physical condition and relative familiarity with the area.

I'd really appreciate any tips for this area, this time of year as far as gear, weather, terrain, food, etc, etc..

About me:

I'm a recent college graduate relishing in the most free time I've had in a decade and the Denver sunshine.

I'm a moderately experienced hiker/climber spending most of my time over the last 7 years hiking, biking, rock climbing, swimming, or skiing on the weekends or during breaks.

I'm 28yo and feel I am in fair physical condition save a few pounds over ideal weight. I've camped solo along the Colorado Front Range and high peaks, but never more than two nights.

I grew up in Portland, Maine and spent a fair amount of time in the maine woods. I climbed Katahdin when I was 13, and Washington several times, as well as more moderate peaks in western and northern maine.

So...

I'm compiling information and would like to set off from the trailhead by August 1st, finishing the target portion near Old Speck/Mahoosuc Notch around the last week of August.

Should I plan on carrying much food or is there realtively frequent (every few days) re-supply stops/general stores in and near the wilderness? Will a 15 degree bag suffice? Has it stopped raining yet?

Whatever info you can supply or point to would be EXCELLENT!

Thanks!

Nick

SouthMark
07-13-2009, 00:20
I really can't be much help to you considering I'm 34 years older than you and it does make a difference but I just took almost three weeks to go from Stratton, ME to Gorham, NH. Man that was a tough section for these old legs. Someone told me that the miles in Maine are twice as long as elsewhere and now I believe them. I wish you the best.

nca777
07-13-2009, 00:44
thanks southmark and much respect to you for getting out there..

I also wanted to add that I would plan to solo and carry a superlight tent. My intention is to walk fairly casually, but from sun up to sun down or as long as I can hold out a steady pace and camp wherever I end up, not being restricted by the shelters.

Would it be wise to plan on gaining extra ground this way or are the shelters fairly well spaced already making for long days?

Should I expect to see many hikers?

Jeff
07-13-2009, 06:19
Four weeks is quite doable for someone with your experiece at your age.

Check out the ALDHA Online Companion for town resupply info here:

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Yes, bring a tent. August is peak thru hiker season and many shelters in Maine will be close to full most nights. A 15 degree bag will be quite adequate.

This is a stunningly beautiful area and you will love it as long as you are not pushing high mile days & the rains subside this year.:sun

Marta
07-13-2009, 06:55
It took me from 7/3 to 8/4 to get from Katahdin to over the border into New Hampshire. At the time I was 1) old enough to be your mother 2) hiking very short day, for the most part 3) suffering from fever and cough for the last few days 4) took zeroes in Millinocket, Stratton, and Andover.

So, yeah, you should be able to get well beyond Mahoosic Notch in a month. One caution: there was a very high injury rate among the young (and old) hikers going SOBO in '06. Quite a few dropped out because of knee injuries, especially, so I'd advise taking it somewhat easy for at least the first week.

Logistics:

You should probably carry a week's food into the 100-mile wilderness. If it doesn't take you that long, great. But if you end up hiking more slowly than you hope, running out of food isn't fun. Quite a few of the young men hiking around me ran out of food before they got to Monson. If you end up limping for some reason, or there's high water slowing you down, or you just don't feel like going that hard every single day, or you eat more than you think you will, and suddenly you're short of food.

Resupplies:

Monson

Caratunk (mail drop)

Stratton

Andover

Goreham, NH

There are a few other places you can hitch to, but these are the most convenient ones.

PS--Either wear running shoes you can wade in, or carry Crocs or some sort of shoes you don't mind getting wet.

Have a great hike!

modiyooch
07-13-2009, 08:20
You will either need to hike to Grafton Notch, Me or Gorham NH. Once in Gorham, you are within 4-5 days to hike to the summit of Washington .

CrumbSnatcher
07-13-2009, 10:13
welcome to whiteblaze. i like rangeley ME.(not included in MARTA'S list)as a resupply stop,big grocery store and sarges pub for a good burger and chef salad! with all do respect to MODIYOOCH. Gorham NH.(from us#2 rattle river) to MT Washington is very doable in 2-3 days. no more than 5 days for sure!

mudhead
07-13-2009, 10:55
welcome to whiteblaze. i like rangeley ME.(not included in MARTA'S list)as a resupply stop,big grocery store

Crack me up! At least now I know what Crumb considers a big grocery!

It ain't a SuperWalmart, but yes it is a large grocery. They are very nice in there once they figure you are not part of the summer colony. IGA ice cream is made by Giffords, and while not as good as Giffords, the last 56ozer I sucked down was worth the $1.65. (on sale)

peakbagger
07-13-2009, 12:00
Yes it has stopped raining (almost deserves a dancing banana!). In the last week, we are more into early summer mode, a couple of sunny days and then a rainy one with occasional afternoon or evening thundershowers. A coworker just did a section from South Arm road to Rt 26 and mentioned slippery, boot sucking mud a couple of times. We are expecting a significant bug hatch soon.

Not sure how you are getting home, but the only local bus service along RT 16 in NH (stops in Berlin, Gorham and Pinkham Notch). Adding on Mahoosuc notch will add a couple of days to the trip unless you dont mind a long road walk down a dirt logging road from the Wright Trail trailhead, or taking a chance of thumbing a ride on Sucess Pond road to the North. You can take the Austin Brook Trail south from Gentian Pond which ends up on the North Road in Shelburne NH which is normally a reasonable hitch into Gorham.

If you stop at Grafton Notch, you would need to hitch to Portland to catch a bus which will most likley require several hitches, or hitch down Rt 26 to RT 2 and catch a ride over to Gorham NH.

Slo-go'en
07-13-2009, 12:55
Yeah, it stopped raining for a couple of days but now we're back to normal. It rained last night, just had an afternoon down pour and I heard someone say this morning it's suppost to rain on and off all next week. Haven't confirmed that yet, but would not be suprised if it did. It looks like it will be one soggy and chilly summer up here in the north country. Oh well. Better get a good pair of Jesus shoes! You'll need to walk on water!

nca777
07-13-2009, 12:56
Great, this all sounds like a go and very encouraging. My 'dream' goal would be to walk from the summit of Katahdin to the summit of Washington.

I believe those places both to be quite magical and staple experiences of my teenage years.

Luckily I have family scattered across southern maine and nh, though in talking to them about this I realize they have NO IDEA what I'm doing or why i'm doing it and it's been a chore convincing someone there to give me a ride or two, which I think is pretty sad.

As the fantasy comes to fruition I'm getting more excited.

The hardest part may be battling the negative, doubtful energy I'm getting from friends and family. I suppose you could liken this stage as similar to any part of the journey- one foot in front of the other- ffirst, the planning and convincing, then the plane ticket, then the hitch north, then the long walk..

Perhaps one last question-

What is the policy on fires through the wilderness and state parks?

Thanks for the help, I'm loving the positive attitudes here..

Cookerhiker
07-13-2009, 13:15
I hiked north from Rt. 2 outside Gorham to Katahdin (http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhiker2005)in 30 days which included one zero day in the midst of Hurricane Katrina. Given your youth, conditioning, experience, and general familiarity with the area, I believe you can cover it in 4 weeks.

Despite having backpacked hundreds of miles that year, I started out very slow - the southernmost 120 miles from Gorham were very difficult. As you probably already know, hiking south is "easy" at least by Maine standards.

Some of the descents are knee-killers so plan accordingly. You may want to consider trekking poles if your knees bother you.

DavidNH
07-13-2009, 13:19
Given your 3- 4 week time frame.. I think 3- 4 weeks to get from Katahdin to to the Mahoosics is quite realistic. Four weeks would be ideal. You might make it as far as Gorham if you really hoof it.

I would strongly suggest you not attempt to hike from BSP all the way to MT Washington in 4 weeks or less. That does not sound realistic at all unless you are hiking very fast and take very little--almost no-- time off.

Keep in mind the Mahoosics are VERY rugged Terrain. The Carter Range in NH is very rugged as well. Of course, the Presies and the Bigelows are no picnic either.

Additionally, I would wager a snickers bar.. even a kings size snickers.. that you will take a zero day in Monson after hiking through the 100 mile wilderness. You may well want several more zero days along the way!

If you could do this trip end of August or in September you would have the best weather. Fall is an awesome time. Avoid June at all costs (it rains a lot like it did this year, and streams are high and the bugs are at their worst). By Early September there will be no more bugs.

David

nca777
07-13-2009, 15:48
Thanks,

I just booked the flights in and out for July 28 into Portland and out on September 1st. I wanted to get this booked ASAP so I would actually have less time to sit around and potentially have myself orothers talk me out of it. I'm sure I'll fight this the whole way to baxter, lol.

Time to pickup guidebook, maps, new compass, socks, (gaiters? hmm), water filter and tabs, miscellaneous cord and webbing, new nalgene or two...some odds and ends, the rest I have.

I'm thinking I'll wear my Garmont Eclipse xcr shoes primarily and possibly bring a pair of old crocs for fords. I may or may not buy a pair of gaiters. In the past I've been fine with a good pair of mid-length smartwools. I will carry a light 2 person MH tent, 15 degree bag, thermarest 3/4 pro pad, lightly insulated rain jacket, maybe two pairs of shorts or shorts and pants for the wet days ans spare socks, headlamp, reading material, sunblock, bandages, stove and fuel, wool hat, shades, spare shirt?, and a few pounds of food out of katahdin. I know I'm missing a few odds and ends..

I'll carry all this in a mountain hardwear foray pack (3250 cuin).

please feel free to make suggestions..Thanks again everyone!

Marta
07-13-2009, 16:14
... i like rangeley ME.(not included in MARTA'S list)as a resupply stop,big grocery store and sarges pub for a good burger and chef salad! with all do respect to MODIYOOCH. Gorham NH.(from us#2 rattle river) to MT Washington is very doable in 2-3 days. no more than 5 days for sure!

Oops. Yes, Rangeley is a good place to stop and resupply.

I bet you'll make it from Katahdin to Washington, without even pushing too hard. It's 332 miles, and you've allowed more than 30 days to do it. An average of 11 miles a day--definitely within reason.

wystiria
07-13-2009, 16:30
Just wanted to say goodluck!

and try and get your packweight as light as possibly. I can get mine solo to 25lbs with 2 liters water and 6 days of food with out sacraficing basic camp comforts (I am just not willing to give up lol)

Peaks
07-13-2009, 17:11
The Maine AT Guide has some suggested durations in it. I suggest that you get the guide and read it. (You probably need the maps anyway)

Cookerhiker
07-13-2009, 18:49
I don't think you need a 15 degree bag for the time you're hiking unless you're saving weight because it's lighter than your summer bag.

nca777
07-13-2009, 19:09
cooker-

I only have a 30 degree synthetic and the 15 degree down. The down is much lighter and more packable. I havent used the synthetic in a couple years, my girlfriend sometimes does.

I picked up a katadyn hiker filter today for 60 bucks, but I'm not sure if its worth it??

Is it better to get the hiker pro for element longevity or should I just use chems??

Blissful
07-13-2009, 19:33
I picked up a katadyn hiker filter today for 60 bucks, but I'm not sure if its worth it??

Is it better to get the hiker pro for element longevity or should I just use chems??

Chems. Less weight you carry the better you will be in the tougher sections of the trail.

Take it easy and have fun!

modiyooch
07-13-2009, 19:34
welcome to whiteblaze. i like rangeley ME.(not included in MARTA'S list)as a resupply stop,big grocery store and sarges pub for a good burger and chef salad! with all do respect to MODIYOOCH. Gorham NH.(from us#2 rattle river) to MT Washington is very doable in 2-3 days. no more than 5 days for sure!I wasn't sure about Mt Madison. It was tough enough going nobo. What's it like sobo??
Then, I think it would be cheaper and logistically smarter to take the extra day to hike down to crawford. pinkham to gorham took use 2.25 days in hellacious rain. crawford to pinkham took us 2.25 days due to snow and gale winds; not to mention "hitting the wall".

Blissful
07-13-2009, 19:39
Ipinkham to gorham took use 2.25 days in hellacious rain. crawford to pinkham took us 2.25 days due to snow and gale winds; not to mention "hitting the wall".

Same data with us, and we were conditioned thru hikers.

I would not push this section, esp if weather goes wild. Give yourself extra time. BUT I will say, if the weather is good, try to do what you are able.

Sure as shootin, the climb up Madison will probably be a bear and probably take a good chunk of a day right there.

Cookerhiker
07-13-2009, 20:21
[quote=modiyooch;867412]I wasn't sure about Mt Madison. It was tough enough going nobo. What's it like sobo??.....quote]

My section-hiking of the White Mountains occurred in the early 80s when I was obviously younger but less-conditioned than I am today. Anyway, I hiked up Madison twice with full pack (4 days worth of food) and as I recall, it was steady and steep but I did OK.

Keep in mind that by the time nca777 reaches Pinkham, he'd be quite trail hardy after having hiked all of Maine plus the Wildcats. I don't think Madison will be any more stressful than - fro example - hiking up the north slope of Avery Peak from Safford Notch - I recall the descent (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=115462) there left me frazzled.

nca777
07-14-2009, 01:31
I climbed Madison when I was 12 or 13 with my two friends. My parents dropped us off at the trailhead and off we went. I remember it was grueling. One of my friends stayed back at the first or second col on the ridge as my other frind and I pushed to the summit.

I rememeber the great gulf trail (?if thats what you take up no map in front of me) was steep. I'm not sure I could handle the whites after the maine trek, but we'll see.

Anyone traveling north to baxter I can hitch a ride with from Portland around the 28th ??

I'm stumped on travel plans as the fam there has 'stuff' going on.