PDA

View Full Version : Leaving soon for SNP, a few more questions

jonestownpenn
07-13-2009, 09:26
Thank you to everyone for helping me to prepare for my SNP sectional – this site has been very helpful. I’m leaving in a few weeks and I have a few more questions.

My first day I am being dropped off at Thorton Gap going SOBO; I was only planning on going to Byrds Nest #4 the first day (since I’m not leaving till noon and I thought the hike up Mary’s Rock would be enough). If I’m feeling more adventurous, is there a ‘stealth’ site I could camp at a couple of miles more to the south? How about Pinnacles Picnic Ground? Is it worth the risk to camp ‘nearby’, but out of sight? If that's not a good idea, I can always stop there for breakfast.

I’m also reexamining my clothing – how essential is a light weight sweater (or long-sleeved shirt) this time of the year? The only time I could see using it would be early in the AM (I do like to get an early start). I do have a rain shell that I could use in a pinch to keep me ‘warm’.

What's the water situtation between Thorton and Swift Run. Is everything flowing?

Thanks again!

sly dog
07-13-2009, 09:41
When I went thru there last month I saw a lotta stealth sites before and after most shelters and points of interest. Right before I got to Pinnacles area I did pass a ranger so I don't know if that area is his daily route but it was later in the day FYI. All water that was listed in the Appalachian pages were flowing well last week of May and first week of June and with this being a very rainy summer I would think they are still flowing.

Jo-To
07-13-2009, 09:53
I just went thru the same area 2 wks ago ( I ended at Thorton Gap). I never needed more than my light rain jacket for warmth in the early morning hrs. Like Sly said water was flowing everywhere. I cant comment too much on the stealth sites because I'm not familar with them,nor did I need them,but when I was going NOBO up Pinnacles there was some ppl steath camping shortly before Birds Nest #3,

sly dog
07-13-2009, 09:55
By the way, I took a lightweight fleece and in 2 weeks I think I used it once maybe twice but could have easily done without it.

Skinny Rooster
07-13-2009, 10:11
I went through there yesterday. Water is still fine. If you end up staying at Byrds Nest water is .3 miles away. I used my rain jacket for warmth at night.

Blissful
07-13-2009, 13:40
You're taking a chance stealthing at Pinnacles, in my opinion.

Unless you are on a time constraint, go your plan and stay at the Byrd Nest and enjoy a leisurely time on Marys Rock.

I always take a long sleeve polartec just in case. May not need it, but I carry it anyway. And that also goes for a hat.

jonestownpenn
07-13-2009, 15:48
Thanks everyone for your input! I’ll probably go with what I originally planned then, which is to stay at Byrds Nest #3 the first night. I might not begin my hike till around 1 pm at Thornton Gap. Also, I’ll be driving from Pennsylvania that morning so the hike to Mary’s Rock may be enough for the day. The next day, I’ll stop for breakfast at Pinnacles. It’s another 4 miles to Skyland, so maybe I can get there around lunch time. Rock Spring hut is my destination that night. The next night I hope to get a site at Lewis Mountain (with a stop for lunch at Big Meadows).

Not sure that to say about a sweater – a light fleece sweater won’t add that much weight, but I’ll hate carrying it if I never use it.

Lugnut
07-13-2009, 16:09
Just got back from that area yesterday and it got downright cold a couple nights, mostly because of the wind. I'd take the sweater, it couldn't weigh that much.

Blissful
07-13-2009, 19:55
Thanks everyone for your input! I’ll probably go with what I originally planned then, which is to stay at Byrds Nest #3 the first night. I might not begin my hike till around 1 pm at Thornton Gap. Also, I’ll be driving from Pennsylvania that morning so the hike to Mary’s Rock may be enough for the day. The next day, I’ll stop for breakfast at Pinnacles. It’s another 4 miles to Skyland, so maybe I can get there around lunch time. Rock Spring hut is my destination that night. The next night I hope to get a site at LewisMountain (with a stop for lunch at Big Meadows).

Not sure that to say about a sweater – a light fleece sweater won’t add that much weight, but I’ll hate carrying it if I never use it.

Good plan.

The trail is essentially flat after Big Meadows, FYI.

As for the fleece, it can double as a pillow, so you WILL use it I'm sure! I always say, better safe than sorry but that's because I hate being cold (esp if you get rained on and it chills down from the dampness). But if you are warm blooded, you might be fine without it. :)