PDA

View Full Version : Panel Loading Packs

NCYankee
07-13-2009, 10:25
I picked up a panel loading pack on steep and cheap and took it out for the first time this past week. I have sort of mixed feelings regarding the pros and cons so I am curious what other people's reactions and methods are to loading and dealing with a panel loading system are. Thanks.

rpenczek
07-13-2009, 10:45
I have a GG Nimbus Meridian and Had a Jansport Carson, both with panel. I find them kind of a waste for me. First, I use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner so, I need to put everything in and take everything out from the top.

On the GG pack, even without the trash bag, I pack the bag tight enough that it would be difficult to pull anything out of the panel zip (not really a panel as much as a one ziper down the center). On the Carson, which has a true panel (two zippers about 4 or 5 inches apart), I could get stuff out with the panel unzipped.

Seems like these just add more weight than they are worth (for me).

Summit
07-13-2009, 11:14
The panel loading packs were the first step in the right direction, mostly in the external frame pack heydays. Then came internal frame packs and the fact that external frame packs are fairly rare now speaks volumes as to which is better (unless someone wants to blame it on marketing! :rolleyes: )

Early internal frame packs were all top load only. Then came multiple access, with top-loading internal frame packs, which provides the best of both worlds, such as:

http://www.rei.com/product/766116

The advantage is that loading from the top is just plain easier, and you can maximize use of space by pushing everything down tight (compression straps also help with this). Then if at any time you need to get to something, say near the bottom, you can lay the pack flat, unzip the front (panel) zipper(s), assuming you have a good idea of the item location, extract it and return it without having to empty your pack like a top-loading only owner would have to do.

More zippers add a little weight and some people are so well organized they never seem to need to get to something they haven't packed handy (near top), or they line the pack with a trash bag for weather protection, which would render the side/front zippers useless.

My current and previous Gregory packs are multi-access and I will confess I seldom use the front/panel zippers because I am so well organized :rolleyes: but when the need does arise, it sure is nice and I feel, worth it. Falls under my oft quoted "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!"

Old Grouse
07-13-2009, 13:16
I have a GG Nimbus Latitude. I usually pack it with the zippers 2/3 to 3/4 zipped - much like any top loader. I would think most everyone does it that way. I use multiple drybags. I'd guess I use the panel zip maybe once a day max to reach something near the bottom without having to dig all the way down from the top.

Deadeye
07-14-2009, 01:48
I have a GG Latitude Vapor, and it's become my favorite pack. Like Old Grouse, I usually zip it 3/4 up and stuff it like a bag, but then I can find lots of nooks and crannies that I can get to later by using the zippers. Other times I'll lay it flat and open and pack it that way. Sometimes it's kinda fussy, but I've gotten used to it... I find the pros outweigh the cons.

chicote
08-20-2009, 13:32
GG Latitude Nimbus and Vapor owner. Love the panel loading. You can simulate top loading in a rush and when you want that piece at the bottom just unzip and get it! The internal compression straps are awesome for helping the "load" of your pack, especially on the vapor.

Jonnycat
08-20-2009, 14:42
My first "real" pack was a top-loader, and all of the once since have been as well (currently using a Nimbus Ozone, which is about as perfect as it gets for me).

The only thing I need access to are water and filter (which goes on the top of everything), and the other things (poncho, hygiene kit, lunch) fit in the two stretchy pockets at the bottom.

The only time it is at all inconvenient is when I underdress, and need to get down to grab a pair of thermals, but that is so rare, and since it only takes five minutes (at most) to unpack/pack everything, it's no trouble at all.

I've been doing this for so long that I have a system for everything, and know where everything goes, so I don't see any advantage to panels or pockets (besides the two stretchy pockets).

Philip
08-20-2009, 22:05
I'm currently using the Jansport Carson external and agree that the panel zipper is neat in concept, but amounts to useless extra weight in execution. I use a pack liner and stuff sacks in the liner, so I have to go through the top to get at anything in there anyway. I thought this was a great feature until I actually started backpacking. Now I realize that panel zippers really aren't necessary. I mean, how many of you guys(long-distance hiking) just throw loose stuff in your packs that you could get to from the side panel?

I've been thinking about taking the bag to a seamstress and having them remove the zippers and just sew it up to lose a few ounces of weight.

Tinker
08-20-2009, 22:49
Panels are fine as long as they have a strap across them to keep your stuff from falling out when (oops! I mean IF :D) the zippers fail.
I've been a top loading zipperless bag owner and user for 20 years. I use a trash bag liner (actually 2) and a cover (sometimes a poncho, sometimes an actual fitted cover).
In the 70s and 80s I used an external with zippered access - had no problems, but others have.

bigcranky
08-21-2009, 15:46
I just bought a new day pack, and specifically chose the panel loader (Osprey Kestrel 32). I wanted a day pack with an internal frame that could carry camera gear, or a heavy spotting scope and tripod, along with the typical day hiking stuff (ten essentials, lunch, that sort of thing.) The panel loaded makes it much easier to get to my spare camera gear than a top loader.