PDA

View Full Version : Possible UFO over Camp Creek Bald area

Tennessee Viking
07-13-2009, 10:35
Objects In The Night Sky: Maybe Air Balloons?

http://greenevillesun.com/story/304655/1

Source: The Greeneville Sun

More residents of southern Greene County have called The Greeneville Sun concerning sightings of strange objects in the night sky earlier this week.
Also on Thursday, an East Tennessee State University astronomy professor said, after reviewing a photo taken on Monday night, that the object was not a meteor.
Peter Hasterlik, a Heaven's Gate Lane resident, said that he and his wife on Monday night saw a bright object, which he described as a white light, moving along the Camp Creek Bald (Viking Mountain) and Meadow Creek Mountain.
The object suddenly "shot straight up" and disappeared as they watched, Hasterlik said.
Also on Monday night, Pauline and Carl Petsel, of Birds Bridge Road, saw, and photographed an object that glowed orange in the same area.
Hasterlik telephoned the Sun on Thursday after an article that outlined what the Petsels saw and one of their photos was published in the newspaper.
Karen Smith, an Asheville Highway resident, said in a voice-mail message left for a Sun reporter on Friday that her family had seen strange objects in the night sky on both July 2 and July 3.
SEEN FOR SIX YEARS
An Ebenezer Road resident who also saw the Thursday article called on Friday morning to say that she had been seeing for the last six years orange and white, balloon-like, objects in the night sky along the mountains that mark Greene County's border with North Carolina.
The caller, who asked that her name not be used, said the bright objects appear sporadically throughout the year, often near the top of Camp Creek Bald.
She noted that she has never heard any sound associated with the objects, although her dogs sometimes refuse to leave the house when the objects are active.
"It's not an airplane, or a balloon, or a helicopter," the woman said. "They don't move like that."
POSSIBLY BALLOONS?
A Wayland Drive resident called on Thursday to say she thinks glowing objects in the night sky earlier this week over southern Greene County were some type of balloons.
Angie Hopson, who lives on Wayland Drive off the Asheville Highway said she, her husband and another couple saw on a recent night between 10:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. a total of seven glowing orange objects that moved across the night sky toward Camp Creek.
She said she wasn't sure which recent night the objects were seen, but noted that it was sometime since July 4.
"They looked like hot-air balloons," she said, noting that her neighbors, Mike and Tonya Jones, used binoculars to observe the second set of glowing objects as they passed across the face of the full moon.
Hopson said the two couples saw three glowing objects about 10:30 p.m. and four more about 11 p.m.
Only when the second set of objects passed across the face of the full moon were the observers able to make out what they looked like.
The first set had appeared only as objects that glowed a fiery orange color, Hopson said.
She noted that her neighbors had searched the Internet in an effort to learn if any balloon races or scientific experiments might have been taking place but had been unable to learn anything.
NOT A METEOR
Also on Thursday, an ETSU astronomy professor who reviewed a photo of a glowing object that had been taken by Pauline Petsel of Birds Bridge Road on Monday night said the object was definitely not a meteor.
Dr. Donald Luttermoser said he thought the glowing object might have been a flare dropped by a military aircraft as part of a training exercise.
He noted that he had seen reports of similar objects near an Air Force base in Michigan when he lived there before moving to Tennessee.
PETSELS' REPORT
On Tuesday, Carl and Pauline Petsel, of Birds Bridge Road, reported having seen a fast-moving, fiery object in the sky about 10:30 p.m. Monday near their home.
They said they didn't know what the object was that they and a friend, who was visiting their home, saw about 10:30 p.m. Monday.
Carl Petsel, a retired St. Petersburg, Fla., police officer, said he first noticed the object in the night sky as he looked south toward Camp Creek Bald in an attempt to see fireworks.
He noted that the object was moving rapidly in a southerly direction toward the mountains that form the border with North Carolina.
Carl Petsel said he is convinced that the object was moving away from the area where fireworks were being shot into the air by a neighbor and appeared to be moving faster than space satellites he has seen in the past.
After he told his wife and their friend, Patti Ritter, what he had seen, Carl Petsel said, his wife, who is a skilled amateur photographer, rushed outside and took several photos of the fleeting object with a digital camera.
The Petsels later shared their photos with The Greeneville Sun.

snowhoe
07-13-2009, 10:38
Dude I hate these threads because the truth is all ways comes out. This crap scared me!

Tennessee Viking
07-13-2009, 10:43
This is common phenomena around the Bald Mountains TN/NC. Some people say its similiar to the Brown Mountain Lights in NC.

Manwich
07-13-2009, 10:49
Maybe heavy drinking?

Pedaling Fool
07-13-2009, 10:52

....The object suddenly "shot straight up" and disappeared as they watched, Hasterlik said....
True story. One night (around midnight) at-sea in the Persian Gulf me a junior officer were conducting pre-fire inspections, as we took a minute to look up into the sky (it was pitch black - no moon - but many stars) we say what looked like a star shoot straight up into the air and was gone. This was no shooting star...

We both clearly saw it and were completely awe-struck. Still I don't believe in aliens visiting us. However, I find it unbelieveable that we are alone in the universe, that just makes no sense to me. It would be more incredible to believe that there's no other life out there than to believe in life out there.

Also, don't forget that the SR-71 is 1950s technology, I can only imagine what we got now.

yaduck9
07-13-2009, 12:42
Where are the pictures?

Grits
07-13-2009, 12:47
Here is a good web site for the Brown Mtn lights http://www.dancaton.physics.appstate.edu/BML/SeeTheLights/

Tennessee Viking
07-13-2009, 13:26
Here is another article with a picture of it.

http://www.greenevillesun.com/attachments/2009/07/UFO.jpg

Photo Special to the Sun
Pauline Petsel, of Birds Bridge Road, photographed this fiery object in the night sky on Monday from her home on Birds Bridge Road. She and her husband, Carl, say they don't know what the object was.
Published: 11:27 AM, 07/09/2009

Source: The Greeneville Sun

Three Observers
Aren't Sure What
They Saw Monday

BY BILL JONES
STAFF WRITER
A Birds Bridge Road couple saw, and photographed, a fiery, fast-moving object in the sky over southern Greene County on Monday night.
Carl and Pauline Petsel say they don't know what the object was that they and a friend, who was visiting their home, saw about 10:30 p.m. Monday.
Carl Petsel, who is a retired St. Petersburg, Fla., police officer, said he first noticed the object in the night sky as he looked south toward Camp Creek Bald (sometimes called Viking Mountain) in an attempt to see fireworks.
He noted that the object was moving rapidly in a southerly direction toward the mountains that form the border with North Carolina.
Carl Petsel said he is convinced that the object was moving away from the area where fireworks were being shot into the air by a neighbor and appeared to be moving faster than space satellites he was seen in the past.
After he told his wife and their friend, Patti Ritter, what he had seen, Carl Petsel said, his wife, who is a skilled amateur photographer, rushed outside and took several photos of the fleeting object with a digital camera.
On Tuesday, Greeneville Sun photographer Jim Feltman attempted to enhance the digital images of the object Mrs. Petsel photographed.
After reviewing the enhanced photos, Carl Petsel said he thought the object might have been a meteor that was entering the atmosphere.
But Pauline Petsel said she was unconvinced that the object was a meteor.
"When I first saw it, it looked like it was on fire," she said, noting that the object appeared to her to have dropped vertically toward the earth before making a sudden "right turn" and speeding away toward the Asheville Highway (Tennessee Route 70 South).
Mrs. Petsel also said she believed the object had been moving along horizontally at a level below the top of the mountains that border southern Greene County.
However, Mr. Petsel said he believed the object could have been higher than the mountain tops.
In a written statement, the Petsel's friend, Patti Ritter, said the object initially appeared to be roughly about three-quarters of the size of the full moon.
She descibed the object as being orange in color and noted that it appeared to have "flames on it toward the bottom."
In her statement, Ritter wrote that the wind was blowing in a direction opposite to the object's direction of travel when she saw it.
"It took only a very short time to move and be out of sight," Ritter wrote.
She noted that she was surprised that the object did not appear larger in the digital photos that Mrs. Petsel took.

pahillbillybear
07-16-2009, 00:17
SR-71's will scoot. I saw a light in the sky about 20 years ago. Not sure that it was a 71, but man, it tore across the sky. Only thing is, I would imagine 71's flew lights out. It was way high and way fast whatever it was.

Cabin Fever
07-16-2009, 06:22
TV - Wanna do an overnighter on the Blackstack and Camp Creek Bald loop?

Hoop Time
07-16-2009, 06:49
SO let me get this straight . . . for six years UFOs have been coming here from another galaxy, but each time they come to the rural South Carolina mountains, never once even checking out the state's beaches, or moving on to visit other places? Some explorers.

We had a big UFO sighting in the Harrisburg area a year of so ago. The paper even foolishly reported on it. Turned out to be some of those big Hollywood-premier style search lights being used by a local car dealer.

fredmugs
07-16-2009, 06:52
I saw an SR-71 when I was stationed on Okinawa in 1982. Friggin' awesome.

Yukon
07-16-2009, 08:04
Also, don't forget that the SR-71 is 1950s technology, I can only imagine what we got now.

I have always thought the same thing, if they could build that thing back in the 50's just imagine what they have under wraps now...

Tennessee Viking
07-16-2009, 08:24
TV - Wanna do an overnighter on the Blackstack and Camp Creek Bald loop?You just got back from the Bald Mtns, did you see any UFOs?

squeeze
07-16-2009, 11:58
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/MO-Spooklight.html

Pedaling Fool
08-20-2010, 15:29
We may soon have our answer on UFOs and visitations... http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/17/proof-aliens-come-years-scientist-says/

Proof of Aliens Could Come Within 25 Years, Scientist Says

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Proof of extraterrestrial (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/17/proof-aliens-come-years-scientist-says/#) intelligence could come within 25 years, an astronomer who works on the search said Sunday.

"I actually think the chances that we'll find ET are pretty good," said Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute in Mountain View, Calif., here at the SETI con convention (http://www.space.com/searchforlife/aliens-contact-art-music-seticon-100814.html). "Young people in the audience, I think there's a really good chance you're going to see this happen."

Shostak bases this estimation on the Drake Equation (http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti-frank-drake-anniversary-100814.html), a formula conceived by SETI pioneer (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/17/proof-aliens-come-years-scientist-says/#) Frank Drake to calculate the number (N) of alien civilizations with whom we might be able to communicate. That equation takes into account a variety of factors, including the rate of star formation in the galaxy, the fraction of stars that have planets, the fraction of planets that are habitable, the percent of those that actually develop life, the percent of those that develop intelligent life, the fraction of civilizations that have a technology that can broadcast their presence into space, and the length of time those signals would be broadcasted.

Reliable figures for many of those factors are not known, but some of the leaders in the field of SETI (http://www.space.com/searchforlife/jill-tarter-seti-qanda-100813.html) have put together their best guesses.

Late great astronomer Carl Sagan, another SETI pioneer, estimated that the Drake Equation amounted to N = 1 million. Scientist and science fiction writer Isaac Asimov calculated 670,000. Drake himself estimates a more conservative 10,000.

But even if that lower value turns out to be correct, at the rate they're going, it wouldn't take scientists too long to discover an alien signal, Shostak said.

"This range, from Sagan's million down to 10,000 – that's the range of estimates from people who have started and worked on SETI," said Shostak. "These people may know what they're talking about. If they do, then the point is we trip across somebody in the next several dozen or two dozen years."

The SETI quest is set to take a leap forward when the Allen Telescope Array, a network of radio dishes under construction in northern California, is fully operational. By 2015, the array should be able to scan hundreds of thousands of stars for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence, Shostak said.

But while humans might be able to discover an alien signal within that timeframe, interpreting what ET is trying to tell us (http://www.space.com/searchforlife/aliens-contact-art-music-seticon-100814.html) could take much, much longer.

Shostak admitted such a task would be very difficult. An alien civilization may be as technologically advanced compared to us as Homo sapiens are to our hominid relatives Neanderthals (http://www.livescience.com/history/neanderthal-genome-mating-100506.html).

"We could give our digital television (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/17/proof-aliens-come-years-scientist-says/#) signals to the Neanderthals, and they'll never figure it out. And they're not stupid," he said.

Yet simply having proof that we are not alone in the universe would likely be a world-changing achievement, Shostak added.

Pedaling Fool
08-20-2010, 15:35
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/MO-Spooklight.html
Seems to be a number of mysterious lights besides the brown mountain lights. This one is the Paulding Light, :-? http://www.backwoodswisconsin.com/paulding_light.htm

Nean
08-20-2010, 16:10
I lived off Viking Mt Road for a couple of years- the trail crossed our driveway. :)

I always suspected my ex was from another planet :eek: I bet they are out lookin fer her.:D

Luddite
08-20-2010, 16:15
I doubt aliens would travel millions of light years just to hover around and then turn around again.

Nean
08-21-2010, 12:09
I doubt aliens would travel millions of light years just to hover around and then turn around again.

Sooo, how is it you know how far they traveled and what makes you think you know what they were up to?:confused:

10-K
08-21-2010, 12:21
Two things strike me as highly unlikely:

1. That planet earth is the only object in the universe with intelligent life (intelligent defined as in using some sort of technology).

and equally unlikely:

2. That we'll ever find each other.

The speed / distance thing prevents it.

kayak karl
08-21-2010, 12:27

1. That planet earth is the only object in the universe with intelligent life (intelligent defined as in using some sort of technology).

and equally unlikely:

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe. Probably just a hiker shuttle, of sorts. :D

Nean
08-21-2010, 12:40

and equally unlikely:

1. I agree :eek:

2. I disagree as you are defining speed / distance- in human / earth terms. :-?

Luddite
08-21-2010, 12:45
Sooo, how is it you know how far they traveled and what makes you think you know what they were up to?:confused:

If they haven't contacted us yet how intelligent can they really be? And if they're not intelligent they aren't worth the trouble.

I think intelligent life on the bottom of the ocean is more plausible.

Nean
08-21-2010, 12:57
If they haven't contacted us yet how intelligent can they really be? And if they're not intelligent they aren't worth the trouble.

I'm not sure what window you are looking out of, but....
Has it ever occured to you that we are the unintelligent ones?:eek:

10-K
08-21-2010, 13:03
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe. Probably just a hiker shuttle, of sorts. :D

That's the funniest thing I've read on here in a while!

10-K
08-21-2010, 13:05
2. I disagree as you are defining speed / distance- in human / earth terms. :-?

Probably because I'm a human on earth... :)

kayak karl
08-21-2010, 13:10
which at book talked about the ufo on max patch. i read it a hot springs, but can't remember the name of it.

Luddite
08-21-2010, 14:20
I'm not sure what window you are looking out of, but....
Has it ever occured to you that we are the unintelligent ones?:eek:

No, because I don't believe in aliens. ;)

10-K
08-21-2010, 14:29

I wonder if aliens believe in us?

Elder
08-21-2010, 14:44
:rolleyes: oh, please. Who does your yard work?

:o sorry.

yaduck9
08-21-2010, 15:50

Perhaps "they" look at us, the way we look at a chimpanzee. Just a thought ;)

Luddite
08-21-2010, 16:39
Chimps are actually pretty dangerous.

Sierra Echo
08-21-2010, 16:48
Peter Hasterlik, a Heaven's Gate Lane resident, said that he and his wife on Monday night saw a bright object, which he described as a white light, moving along the Camp Creek Bald (Viking Mountain) and Meadow Creek Mountain.

If anyone will remember back, Heaven's Gate was the name of the UFO based cult led by Marshall Applewhite. 39 members of the cult commited suicide so that they could "join" the Hale-Bopp comet on its journey.
Coincidence??? Hmmmmmm!!!!

Don H
08-21-2010, 17:10
We should not try to contact aliens according to Stephen Hawking.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36769422/

Nean
08-21-2010, 17:14
Probably because I'm a human on earth... :)

...but they wouldn't be. :-?

Nean
08-21-2010, 17:23

So you believe earth is the center of the universe and the only place in it that has some sort of life????:confused:

Nean
08-21-2010, 17:38
If anyone will remember back, Heaven's Gate was the name of the UFO based cult led by Marshall Applewhite. 39 members of the cult commited suicide so that they could "join" the Hale-Bopp comet on its journey.
Coincidence??? Hmmmmmm!!!!

I thought that was a religious based cult (most are) that was on a journey to heaven via the comet which really isn't a ufo. Maybe they were meeting a ufo or something as I try to remember. :-?

Weren't they wacko ultra lighters as well?:D

Nean
08-21-2010, 17:40
Chimps are actually pretty dangerous.

Not if you compare them to the most intelligent life in your universe.;)

Luddite
08-21-2010, 18:09
So you believe earth is the center of the universe and the only place in it that has some sort of life????:confused:

I believe Earth is the only planet with intelligent life. Thats my guess. Of course, theres no way to be sure especially if the universe is infinite.

We should not try to contact aliens according to Stephen Hawking.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36769422/
Good article.

leaftye
08-21-2010, 19:08

They used to walk among us as ultralight hikers...until their skin out weight dropped so far that they attained ultralight nirvana.

Luddite
08-21-2010, 20:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueUOTImKp0k&feature=related

Sierra Echo
08-21-2010, 23:12
I thought that was a religious based cult (most are) that was on a journey to heaven via the comet which really isn't a ufo. Maybe they were meeting a ufo or something as I try to remember. :-?

Weren't they wacko ultra lighters as well?:D

I think they had to hitch a ride on the UFO to get to the comet. Or vice Versa. I just remember the name.
And yes, I recall hearing they were wacko ultra lighters as well! LOL

Toolshed
08-22-2010, 00:11
:-?May I point out that the thread title should be changed since it isn't a "possible UFO...", but currently it is a UFO. I think what was meant was that it is "possibly an alien aircraft..." :-?

Sierra Echo
08-22-2010, 07:48
:-?May I point out that the thread title should be changed since it isn't a "possible UFO...", but currently it is a UFO. I think what was meant was that it is "possibly an alien aircraft..." :-?

But UFO stands for unidentified flying object. That covers a very broad range!

Pedaling Fool
03-05-2011, 17:55
There's been a lot of UFO-type shows on lately and a lot of data dumps by various governments; the latest one just this month by the U.K. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1952867/British-Government-releases-UFO-files.html.

You think someone's trying to tell us something:-?

:sun

Papa D
03-05-2011, 18:32
if you can't identify it, it is a UFO - doesn't mean it is a spaceship

tirebiter
03-05-2011, 18:56
The observable universe is about 14 billion parsecs (2.70410991×10^23 miles) across, containing literally billions of galaxies, each containing up to 1 trillion stars, and a substantial fraction of stars have a system of planets around them. It is extremely unlikely that there is no other intelligent life, let alone any other life at all. But have they visited us just to hover over a rural spot then jet off? Well I couldn't say, not being an alien, but I'd guess not.

Lion King
03-06-2011, 17:38
This is common phenomena around the Bald Mountains TN/NC. Some people say its similiar to the Brown Mountain Lights in NC.

I have video footaage from 2003 when I camped in the wooden fire tower there.

Same thing, two lights that kept moving slowly back and forth,no sound at all....I filmed a Plane at the same time flying near so anyone watching would understand that a plane makes a noise and these things did not.

After aqbout ten minutes, one of them faded out, the other did a strange zig zag, and then ZIP! It shoot straight into the heavens at a 90% abgle, no bullshiz.

I was told in Hot Springs that it was the Brown MTN lights.

Graywolf
03-06-2011, 20:31
The observable universe is about 14 billion parsecs (2.70410991×10^23 miles) across, containing literally billions of galaxies, each containing up to 1 trillion stars, and a substantial fraction of stars have a system of planets around them. It is extremely unlikely that there is no other intelligent life, let alone any other life at all. But have they visited us just to hover over a rural spot then jet off? Well I couldn't say, not being an alien, but I'd guess not.

yeah, they came to N.C. on a Mountain Top and saw a guy putting up a hammock that suspiciously looks like a small Spacecraft. First thought was, "Oh my god, and he thinks thatis going to flY?. get us out of here, no intelligent life".

Pedaling Fool
05-19-2011, 09:00
There's a new book out on Area 51 and it's a crazy story according to the author Annie Jacobsen: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20110518/od_yblog_upshot/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo

Even if you believe we're being visited; I simply cannot believe aliens crashed in New Mexico or anywhere else. However I'm also having real problems with this lady's version of what happened in 1947. But I'm still almost tempted to go and buy the book.

New book says USSR was behind Roswell UFO

Is truth stranger than conspiracy-theory fiction? A new book (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/SIG=12kopbkek/*http://www.npr.org/2011/05/17/136356848/area-51-uncensored-was-it-ufos-or-the-ussr) on Area 51 (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/search/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Area+51&cs=bz&fr=buzz) that's already generating a ton of buzz says there was no alien spacecraft that crashed in Roswell, New Mexico (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/search/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Roswell%2C+New+Mexico&cs=bz&fr=buzz) in 1947. Instead, Stalin did it--maybe.

According to Annie Jacobsen, the reporter who authored "Area 51 (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/search/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Area+51+book&cs=bz&fr=buzz)," the spaceship was actually a Soviet spy plane (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/SIG=12cihekfq/*http://theweek.com/article/index/215360/was-stalin-behind-the-roswell-ufos) that came down during a storm. Jacobsen claims it was filled with bizarre, genetically engineered child-sized pilots. Then-Soviet leader Joseph Stalin was hoping, Jacobsen alleges, that the new cause widespread panic in the U.S.

The story gets even stranger: The leader of the USSR had apparently been inspired by the 1938 radio adaptation radio broadcast of the HG Wells story "War of the Worlds (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/search/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=War+of+the+Worlds&cs=bz&fr=buzz)," produced by Orson Welles (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/search/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Orson+Welles&cs=bz&fr=buzz). The broadcast triggered panic in some listeners who tuned in and mistook it for a real-life alien invasion. (Though later students of the episode claim that the media of Welles' day vastly exaggerated the scale of public alarm over the broadcast (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/SIG=12gmmb74s/*http://mediamythalert.wordpress.com/2010/10/26/halloweens-greatest-media-myth/).)

And those ET-looking aviators? They were scientific experiments (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/SIG=134jrpsrd/*http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/18/area-51-as-cold-war-espionage-believable-or-conspiracy-theory/) created by the "Angel of Death," Nazi doctor Josef Mengele (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/search/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Joseph+Mengele&cs=bz&fr=buzz), for the USSR after the war. The flight was piloted remotely, according to accounts in the book, and was filled with a crew of "alien-like children."

According to Jacobsen's source, a retired engineer (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/SIG=13l5dkv8t/*http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/ufo/8512408/Roswell-was-Soviet-plot-to-create-US-panic.html) who was put on the project in 1978, the look of the human experiments could explain the alien conspiracy theories: "They were grotesquely deformed, but each in the same manner as the others. They had unusually large heads and abnormally shaped oversize eyes."

Is any of this true? There's no way to prove it. Documents surrounding the Roswell incident are still classified--as is virtually all information related to the mystery spot.

Still, lack of proof hasn't exactly stopped the book from sparking speculation on the media circuit and on the Web. In the last day, Yahoo! searches skyrocketed 3,000 percent for "area 51 book (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/search/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=area+51+book&cs=bz&fr=buzz)." And the tome is penned not by a crackpot conspirator, but a respected journalist.
Even the New York Times (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/SIG=14k8k772e/*http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/books/area-51-by-annie-jacobsen-review.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=2&adxnnlx=1305741637-JbH8sx9ffZ/IOREGKyfx1w) gives her credence, writing in its review: "Although this connect-the-dots UFO thesis is only a hasty-sounding addendum to an otherwise straightforward investigative book about aviation and military history, it makes an indelible impression. 'Area 51' is liable to become best known for sci-fi provocation."

But sci-fi provocation may be all the book generates. After all, without the government coming out and saying what happened back in 1947, even if there was no conspiracy, the stories of the "Roswell Incident (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/search/yblog_upshot/od_yblog_upshot/storytext/new-book-says-ussr-behind-roswell-ufo/41521337/*http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Roswell+Incident&cs=bz&fr=buzz)" will remain just that.

You can watch "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart about interview Jacobsen about her claims below.

More info here: http://www.npr.org/2011/05/17/136356848/area-51-uncensored-was-it-ufos-or-the-ussr

:-?

kolokolo
05-19-2011, 21:23
If I put my tinfoil hat on at just the right angle, I can almost believe some of this stuff.

Egads
05-20-2011, 06:01
Y'all need to stop eating shrooms

rhapsody98
05-20-2011, 07:18
TV - Wanna do an overnighter on the Blackstack and Camp Creek Bald loop?

Heck, yeah!

My husband and I saw something similar over Holston Lake. It was during the day, and suddenly, within three or four minutes there were military planes all over the place. We expected it was some technology/weapon that was being tested.

Jaybird
05-20-2011, 07:42
[QUOTE=Tennessee Viking;867176]

http://greenevillesun.com/story/304655/1

TV,

TANKS fer sharin'!:D

Hope to see some of U WhiteBlazers out there...
hikin' DWG NoBo to Kent,CT
w/ "Piece O' Work"
May 28-June 12

shuttles by "Jigsaw"