PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you hiked the same trail.

medicjimr
07-13-2009, 12:19
I was just lying around pondering the thought while I watched the Appalachian Impressions DVD I just got. How may times have you hiked the same trail ? Have you done a thru Hike on the AT for example more than once or even twice and why. I honestly don't know if I would ever have the opportunity to do a thru Hike but was just curious if anyone has done it more than once or even have considered it. Just wondering. :-?

Plodderman
07-13-2009, 13:12
No through hike but most of the Smokies twice and around my house I have hiked the same trails many times.

I have met an occasional hiker who has through hiked more than once.

ShelterLeopard
07-13-2009, 13:19
Well, I've hiked the same segment of the AT about six times (starting in Delaware Water Gap), but I haven't done my thru yet, but who knows- maybe next year I'll turn right back around and go south!

Cookerhiker
07-13-2009, 13:22
I assume you don't mean dayhikes or short hikes. I've hiked portions of the AT in Shenandoah NP many times.

I've hiked the Long Trail twice - sections 1977-81 and end-to-end (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248)in 2007. Re. the AT, I've hiked the 46 miles east from the Hudson River to Pawling twice - once in summer, once in fall - and the 70 miles of PA from Duncannon to Port Clinton twice - again, once in summer and once in fall.

Blissful
07-13-2009, 13:36
I've done the AT in Shenandoah twice - and possibly twice more this fall (if it worksout with those who want to go). I've done it SOBO and NOBO. Nice.

Shutterbug
07-13-2009, 14:04
I was just lying around pondering the thought while I watched the Appalachian Impressions DVD I just got. How may times have you hiked the same trail ? Have you done a thru Hike on the AT for example more than once or even twice and why. I honestly don't know if I would ever have the opportunity to do a thru Hike but was just curious if anyone has done it more than once or even have considered it. Just wondering. :-?

I have hiked all or part of the 100 Mile Wilderness each of the last six years, except last year. I will do it again next month.

My wife and I hike the Bright Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon at least twice a year. We have already hiked it twice this year with a rim to rim to rim and are scheduled to hike it again this fall.

I have also done the Wonderland Trail multiple times. It is one of my favorites.

Summit
07-13-2009, 14:41
I have done from Springer to NOC (or reverse) 3 times. I've done other sections of that numerous other times. I've done the "Standing Indian loop" (campground backcountry parking - Long Branch - AT - Kimsey Creek) more times than I can count. Just love that area, never get tired of it.

Years ago when stationed in Sacramento, California in the Air Force, I did most of the trails in Desolation Wilderness (PCT runs thru it) many times because it's an awesome area and close to Sacramento. Also found a great trailhead with several options to shoot off in different directions in the Trinity Alps west of Redding, CA and did several hikes in that same area over and over.

CowHead
07-13-2009, 15:15
I tried to get over in the MD section everyother weekend and hike something this fall I heading from Pen Mar to Duncannon PA tried a defferent direction

The Solemates
07-13-2009, 15:59
its just a day hike, but growing up i hiked to the top of table rock mtn in sc dozens of times. i used to trail run it in prep for our thru hike.

Lone Wolf
07-13-2009, 16:13
i've hiked the AT from Springer to Damascus 10 times

Kerosene
07-13-2009, 16:32
i've hiked the AT from Springer to Damascus 10 timesSo does that mean you get to Dot's and just can't get up from the bar stool to keep goin' north? :D

Kerosene
07-13-2009, 16:34
As a long-time AT section hiker, I haven't repeated very much beyond a dozen or so miles in north Jersey and the southern portion of Vermont when I SOBO'd the LT. However, I do keep notes on some sections I'd like to revisit when I'm done with the AT and retire!

summermike
07-13-2009, 16:42
AT twice. Different directions. Had much more fun the second time, was more relaxed, knew what I was doing and what to expect.

Jim Adams
07-13-2009, 23:02
AT x2...can't wait for #3.

geek

Tinker
07-13-2009, 23:39
AT x2...can't wait for #3.

geek

Better get crackin' you old fart. :D

(Note: I'm catchin' up. I'll be your age in a little over a week). Take care.

Btw: I've hiked the AT/LT from the Ma/Vt. border to Rte 4 twice, and Rte. 4 to NH. twice (the second one was just to be with some new friends - that section's enough to drive anyone nuts - PUDS and few views).

saimyoji
07-14-2009, 00:27
i've hike the same stretches many times.....never was it the same trail

TIDE-HSV
07-14-2009, 00:46
Hmmm... I've hiked the South Plateau Loop trail in Monte Sano State Park, Huntsville, AL, around 4,000 times. Of course, I live two blocks away and it's my regular exercise trail. After all those times, last year, I managed to fall and break my top left rib off my sternum :(

medicjimr
07-14-2009, 01:07
well thanks for all the interesting reads, The main reason for the question was like I said I was watching the Appalachian impression DVD and how everyone was happy to get off the trail well not everyone but i was curious if after you saw what you just went through would you do it again and to be honest I was hoping and glad to see how many times someone has hiked a trail. I know myself I am limited to were I can go to hike and will most likely backpack the same trail time and again.

Lemni Skate
07-14-2009, 01:41
I've hiked some sections near my home several times (SNP mostly), but that's mostly because it's close by. I don't see myself hiking other parts more than once. I mean, if I'm ever lucky enough to finish the trail, there's lot's of other trails in the world and even fairly nearby me.

I'm a "can't wait to see what's around the next corner" fellow, so if I already know...it loses a little.

fiddlehead
07-14-2009, 08:44
I'm not one to read a book twice, or watch a movie twice.

Same with hiking EXCEPT:
If i haven't done it in a lot of years
or, If I haven't done it in that direction
or, If i happen to be there and have the time
or, if i really like someone and they want to hike it

That being said, I've hiked the AT 3 1/2 times (24 years between 1st and last), CDT twice, Annapurna circuit 3 times, Everest base camp trek 3 X,but all my other hiking has been once and done.

I have a lot of stuff that i'd like to do before going and repeating.

Although i would go hike the Pyrenees again, and the CDT and the PCT.

Nean
07-14-2009, 11:14
Watch out FH, I'm at 3 1/4! and if I can finally get going this week -I'll be trying for 4.:eek:
My excuse for seconds came in the form of the other direction. :)
The excuse for a third go around was time since- I last hiked a trail.:(
But the real reason to be out there is living the life! :-? :D :banana

Blue Jay
07-14-2009, 13:02

You got that right.

unclehud
07-14-2009, 23:21
I've hiked every one of the Georgia miles on the AT at least 4 times. Certain stretches -- approach trail, Blood Mountain, Tray, Blue Ridge Gap to the NC state line -- many more times.

Different season, different weather, alone, one partner (male or female), several partners, in a hurry or just wandering, Jim Beam or Bulleit, bear sightings, deer sightings, snake sightings ... very rarely is it the same hike and even less rarely am I disappointed by its familiarity.

Ox97GaMe
07-14-2009, 23:29
Ive hiked the entire AT twice, once as a thru, once as sections. I agree, the second time was much more enjoyable as I didnt have all the pressure of having to finish and being somewhat on a timeline.

As a maintainer, I have hiked the AT in GA about a dozen times and the section that I maintained about 25 times.

I have hiked all the Smokies once and some parts as many as half a dozen times.

Hiking the same trail over and over sometimes gets monotonous. I look at it as a means to an end. I am out to do maintenance. Hiking the 4 or 5 miles to get to the work site doesnt really count as re-hiking, but a necessary part of making changes/improvements to the trails.

RAT
07-15-2009, 00:19
I am sure I have hiked over 8000 miles along the AT and its other connecting trails and have never made it beyond the Mason Dixon Line. lol. Most of this is due to being a maintainer for 20 years and hiking weekends for over 30 years.

Hairnt

Lemni Skate
07-15-2009, 01:28
I don't mind hiking the same section of a trail again (I did a section with my kids today that must be my 5th time). This was the first time in summer and I was rewarded with a long dip in a swimming hole, beacoups of raspberries, and a chance to let my kids save some fish that were trapped in a puddle that was about to dry up.

It's just that if all things are equal, I'd rather hike a trail I haven't done before. I mean, if I thru-hiked the AT, I imagine I'd do the PCT before I'd do the AT again.

sticks&stones
07-15-2009, 05:40
one night i hiked the sidetrail to the privey at least 20 times each way.

bloodmountainman
07-15-2009, 07:03
I've hiked the Ga. miles many times. NC and Tenn miles three times. As the name implies Blood Mt more times than I can remember.....It's in the "backyard" so to speak. I love going up there at dawn.

Blue Jay
07-15-2009, 10:57
How may times have you hiked the same trail ? Have you done a thru Hike on the AT for example more than once or even twice and why. I honestly don't know if I would ever have the opportunity to do a thru Hike but was just curious if anyone has done it more than once or even have considered it. Just wondering. :-?

I've always found this question interesting, kind of like "how many times have you made love to the same person?". Have you made love to them even twice and why or have even considered it?

Dogwood
07-15-2009, 15:54
Pretty much all I do is thru-hike, wherever I am. So many awesomely beautiful and diverse trails in this country alone that I find myself hardpressed to hike the same trail over and over again. Although I don't personally hike the same trail over and over again I can understand why some would choose to do that. On the major long distance thru-hiking trails in this country like the AT, PCT, CDT, CT, LT, AZT, NWT, etc. it can be hard, while in the thru-hiking mindset of gotta go go go, to experience all that a trail has to offer.

Chenango
07-15-2009, 15:58

Agreed. Different seasons, weather, times of day, company, # of bugs, etc. The trail is like a sunset ... never exactly the same.

OldStormcrow
07-21-2009, 09:25
I used to have a tradition where I hiked the Smokies solo every winter and not see a soul the entire time. Now, even with shelter reservations it just gets too crowded, even in the dead of winter. I can't even imagine what they would look like in the summer.....

Scooby99
07-31-2009, 12:09
I live near Bear Mtn in NY and have summitted it via the AT a dozen or so times this year alone. Its nice being able to get out and at least see the life and remember the good times from hiking the AT twice.

Jack Tarlin
07-31-2009, 12:18
There's at least one section of the Trail that I've hiked at least 2,000 times.

Of course, it's paved and in downtown Hanover, but it is blazed, so I guess it counts.

Gotta run. So make that 2,001! :D

Bare Bear
07-31-2009, 12:56
Jellybean hiked the PCT and had to drop out with 89 miles to finish due to injury. This year she is back out there and doing the whole thing again. She is going to Finish then go back south for the 89 miles again so that she will have done the PCT twice.
It is always HYOH but I have found that after six-seven times I have done Springer to Neels Gap, and the Shenys and it bores me now.
I have section hiked all of the AT and thrud BUT:
I still want to do another thru hike , for me it was miserable the first5 time due to stess fractures and Lyme Disease along the way. Next time I do the AT I will start early, go slower, try to enjoy it....