PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Exos 46?

ShelterLeopard
07-13-2009, 13:25
Do any of you have this pack? I have a fairly large Jansport Klamath 72 right now, and I do love it, but I tried on another hiker's Osprey and it was amazing! Like wearing a big pillow on your back and so light. Anyway, I figured I'd use my Jansport for the winter part of my thru, then when I switch out my winter gear for my spring (smaller, less gear by far), I'd also switch my Jansport for the Osprey.

So my question is, have any of you tried it, and what do you think? It seems a lot less durable than my current pack, and has a lot less space. (Also, I love that my pack has a sleeping bag compartment- a place for everything and everything in it's place, right?) I love pockets. Does the osprey have pockets? Tell me everything!!!

rp1790
07-13-2009, 18:01
Well, I have the Exos 58 and used it for 9 weeks on the AT this year. It has 2 large external side pockets, the 48 only has the one. The Exos packs are much less durable than standard Osprey but that's where a lot of the weight savings come from. I'm sure my pack would have lasted the whole 6 months if I'd gone on and completed my Thru. The netting used for the side pockets did start to come apart a "little" and worried me just a wee bit. They have the lifetime warranty like all Ospreys though!

The 58 (large) that I had is actually about 60ltrs and is huge. In the end it was hardly filled and I think I could have used a 46 but I like the extra side pocket and having room when that food bag got big.

Very light and comfy. The only problem I had was running out of hip belt adjustment in the last 2 weeks because of weight loss...not the packs fault :-)

ShelterLeopard
07-13-2009, 18:08
Awesome- thanks. So if the pack does break on the trail, the lovely people from Osprey would send one to me at a mail drop, right? (I've heard how surpirisingly accomodating outdoor outfitter companies are to people on the trail- one guy's whisper light broke, and three days later there was a new one waiting for him in town) Because I obviously couldn't ship it back and wait in town for a new one...

Nasty Dog Virus
07-13-2009, 20:02
I was looking at this pack recently as my next purchase. I met two thru-hikers last week in Md who had them. One hiker was on his second pack of his thru-hike and said that Osprey mailed him a replacement with no hassles at all. The other hiker has arranged to get a replacement from Osprey mailed to him in Pa. (he also said no hassles from Osprey when he called and explained he was a thru-hiker). I looked at the pack with 1000 miles on it and the webbing was worn thru at the backpad. His mesh hip pockets had been repaired numerous times but other than that, the pack seemed in good shape. I grilled both of them about the pack and both had nothing but good things to say about it.

skinewmexico
07-13-2009, 23:40
I had the 58 and the 46, in long. Really wanted them to work, but they just didn't; hip belt cut me in two. I'm about a 36-38" waist, and could hardly get in the hip pockets. Sold the 58 to a buddy (32" waist), and he loves it. For me, the 46 (with identical loads), was less comfortable than my GG Mariposa, and my Golite Jam2. Sold the 58 to fund a ULA Catalyst, and a Conduit. Probably need to sell the 46. Great pack, and I really wanted it to work. Just didn't fit me right.

rp1790
07-14-2009, 00:02
Awesome- thanks. So if the pack does break on the trail, the lovely people from Osprey would send one to me at a mail drop, right? (I've heard how surpirisingly accomodating outdoor outfitter companies are to people on the trail- one guy's whisper light broke, and three days later there was a new one waiting for him in town) Because I obviously couldn't ship it back and wait in town for a new one...

Can't say I had to test it but from everything I hear, if you're a thru hiker all outfitters will want to keep you especially happy. After all you'll be a walking talking advertisement!

Yeah, basically you'd need to talk to them on the phone and once they agree they'd mail you a replacement at a maildrop of your choice.