PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Planning my first AT trip.

JBeachgrl
07-13-2009, 23:46
Hey... I am new to this site but would like some advice from the experienced hikers who know the AT very well :)

Here's the info:
There will be three of us driving up from central Florida to spend some time on the trail in mid August. Our goal is to drive up on a Monday, stay at a hotel to prepare the night before, and then set off early morning that Tuesday to begin our hike. We would like to spend 3 full days/nights averaging about 10-15 miles a day on the trail. We want to cover a section of the trail & do not want to backtrack at all if this is possible.

My questions are:

1. Where should we begin and finish our hike? (We would like high elevations, beautiful views, but not more than a 12 hour drive from Florida) Originally I was planning Spence Field towards Clingman's Dome but decided I better ask y'all for advice as I am new to this.

2. Once we pick our section of the trail, how do you recommend transportation to and from these points. Is it safe to park in a trail parking area or would it be best to shuttle from an offsite destination.

3. Should we carry a tent or plan at staying in shelters if we are able to secure a reservation?

4. After our backpacking adventure we would like to spend an afternoon whitewater rafting. Any ideas where?

5. Finally please share any advice you feel would be helpful. My group will consist of 3 women all healthcare professionals and in very good shape. We have all backpacked before but have always hiked with very experienced backpackers who were kind enough to let us "tag along".

jrwiesz
07-14-2009, 02:34
Hey... I am new to this site but would like some advice from the experienced hikers who know the AT very well :)

Here's the info:
There will be three of us driving up from central Florida to spend some time on the trail in mid August. Our goal is to drive up on a Monday, stay at a hotel to prepare the night before, and then set off early morning that Tuesday to begin our hike. We would like to spend 3 full days/nights averaging about 10-15 miles a day on the trail. We want to cover a section of the trail & do not want to backtrack at all if this is possible.

My questions are:

1. Where should we begin and finish our hike? (We would like high elevations, beautiful views, but not more than a 12 hour drive from Florida) Originally I was planning Spence Field towards Clingman's Dome but decided I better ask y'all for advice as I am new to this.

2. Once we pick our section of the trail, how do you recommend transportation to and from these points. Is it safe to park in a trail parking area or would it be best to shuttle from an offsite destination.

3. Should we carry a tent or plan at staying in shelters if we are able to secure a reservation?

4. After our backpacking adventure we would like to spend an afternoon whitewater rafting. Any ideas where?

5. Finally please share any advice you feel would be helpful. My group will consist of 3 women all healthcare professionals and in very good shape. We have all backpacked before but have always hiked with very experienced backpackers who were kind enough to let us "tag along".

:welcome to Whiteblaze.

You are welcome to "tag along", but, I'll be on Isle Royale, Mi. mid August.:D

Seriously, try searching the threads here on WB for previous discussion on 2-3 day hikes, or section hikes. Try search engine, for whitewater rafting along the AT. That might give you an idea where to start/finish your section.

Best of luck in your quest.:sun

jersey joe
07-14-2009, 08:25
3. You should definitely carry a tent because the shelters could be full.

STICK
07-14-2009, 08:27
You can start at the begining of the AT, Springer mtn and finish at Neels Gap which is right at 30 miles. You could park at Walasi-Yi and be shuttled to Springer so you hike back to your car at Walasi.

And yes bring tents!! You never know what cud happen and you wouldn't want to be stuck without a shelter!

Also be prepared to hang your food. Read up on bears and rodents. Rodents will eat thru your packs to get inside so leave the packs open at night!

You can get in touch with Josh and Leigh with the hiker hostell for a shuttle. Look in the shuttle thread on this site for their info or google hiker hostel.

I don't know about the white water rafting. Sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in on that!

No matter where you go hiking read up ob it first and come to places like this! Also
Look for the 10 Esentials to carry while hiking. And while peoples opinions vary on these just look @ them and use your best judgement. Have some form of them with you!

Happy trails!

Pedaling Fool
07-14-2009, 09:35

Here's the info:

My questions are:

Always take shelter.

I think a hike between Franklin, NC and NOC (www.noc.com (http://www.noc.com)) would be a good hike and at the end you could do your rafting trip with NOC and maybe Ron Haven (http://appalachiantrailservices.com/) could provide information of shuttle service.

I would stay away from the smokies, unless you register as a thru-hiker it's very stifling way to hike.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2009, 09:42
drive to Damascus (9 hours from Jacksonville) and park here then i shuttle y'all 40 miles north of town and you walk back. some of the best hiking/scenery and highest elevations in Virginia. after that you drive an hour or so south to Erwin, Tn. and do a raft trip on the Nolichucky river

Lone Wolf
07-14-2009, 09:52
drive to Damascus (9 hours from Jacksonville) and park here then i shuttle y'all 40 miles north of town and you walk back. some of the best hiking/scenery and highest elevations in Virginia. after that you drive an hour or so south to Erwin, Tn. and do a raft trip on the Nolichucky river
http://www.mtnadventureguides.com/sitepages/pid30.php

Mango
07-14-2009, 10:09
Another good option would be to drive to Roan Mtn, TN (the town, not the peak). Stay at Mountain Harbour hostel on 19-E, where you can leave your car. Get them to shuttle you to Iron Mtn Gap, then walk north about 28 miles. You'll climb Roan Mt, cross some of the greatest balds in the Southern Appalachians, and end up at 19-E. Then drive a half hour or so to the Nolichchucky for some rafting. Another option is to drive to the Nolichucky R. at Erwin, stay at Uncle Johnny's hostel or a motel. Get UJ to shuttle you to Sam's Gap and walk the 25 mi. back to the river. I don't think a tent would be necessary. Mid-August is not prime time for lots of hikers, unless you are doing it on a weekend and run into a Scout Troop. In which case, you should have taken a tent.

Summit
07-14-2009, 10:25
I highly recommend the "Standing Indian Loop" if Mango's Roan Highlands hike (with shuttle expense) doesn't suit you. It is an awesome hike for views.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42319&highlight=long+branch

It is perfect for what you describe you want to do. Start and end at car in safe backcountry parking lot. The scenery is awesome on this loop. One of my favorite hikes.

Take US 64 west from Franklin approximately 12 miles passing thru Winding Stair Gap. Near the bottom of the mountain from the gap, you will turn left on West Old Murphy Road (SR 1448). There is a directional sign for the campground there. Go 1.9 miles and turn right on Forest Development Road 67 at the Standing Indian Campgound sign. This is a paved road. Go 1.7 miles and park and start at Backcountry Parking lot just past the entrance to Standing Indian Campground.

The Long Branch (blue blazed) Trail is across the road from the backcountry parking. It's 2 mi up to the AT at Glassmine Gap. Nice camping and water just before you get there.

When done, it's about 30 miles up NC 28 from Franklin to Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC - whitewater rafting).

Blissful
07-14-2009, 10:42
Always take shelter.

I think a hike between Franklin, NC and NOC (www.noc.com (http://www.noc.com)) would be a good hike and at the end you could do your rafting trip with NOC and maybe Ron Haven (http://appalachiantrailservices.com/) could provide information of shuttle service.

This looks like the best option for what you want - stay at Ron's motel in Franklin, hike to NOC (they have lodging options there too) and raft. Then get a ride back (sure Ron has ideas or maybe will shuttle you, he's a great guy) Best of everything. You'll have a great time.

Plodderman
07-14-2009, 11:19
I agree with hiking in Damascus. We shuttled to Atkins and walked back to Damascus through Grayson Highlands. That is a little farther than you want but well worth the time.

Ladytrekker
07-14-2009, 11:28
Does anyone every section hike in October say from Springer to Franklin. Would this be reasonable and how is the company factor?

Heartpine
07-14-2009, 12:21
Does anyone every section hike in October say from Springer to Franklin. Would this be reasonable and how is the company factor?

I'm curious about this as well, I'm planning to hike part of that section in either late Sept or early Oct. I'm a new member, BTW, sorry if this is covered elsewhere but i haven't found it yet :)

Kerosene
07-14-2009, 12:32
Does anyone every section hike in October say from Springer to Franklin. Would this be reasonable and how is the company factor?Sure, people are actually hiking after Labor Day (but they no longer wear white ;))!

I actually prefer to hike in the Fall: the temps are lower, the colors are better if you time it right, there are fewer people on the trail, and the bugs are gone.

Downsides: You'll have to deal with a broader range of temperatures, water sources can prove iffy after a dry summer, there's a lot less daylight, there's more risk of hypothermia when trying to hike in a 35-degree rain, and if you miss the Fall colors then you end up hiking in a lot of fallen leaves which are surprisingly loud.

For Georgia, I'd probably shoot for late October. Last year I went from Damascus to Erwin the last week of October and caught 6" of snow atop Roan Mountain, but it was great! You'll probably encounter a few southbound thru-hikers.

daddytwosticks
07-14-2009, 14:17
Fallen leaves, even DRY ones, are also very slippery...don't ask how I know! :)

CowHead
07-14-2009, 14:27
Hike from Pen Mar MD to Harpers Ferry take the train to DC raft at great falls va www.outdoorexcursions.com (http://www.outdoorexcursions.com)

Blissful
07-14-2009, 14:30
Fall hiking is great!! I am planning all my work around a 2 week hike in Oct that I'd like to do if all goes well. I like to hike in Oct and in April.

pyroman53
07-14-2009, 14:41
Did Amicalola north(55 miles or so) 2 years ago, last week of Sept.
Last year Franklin north, (55 miles of so) first week of Oct.
This year, we'll do another 50 miles of so, second week of Oct.

Late Sept was a bit warm. Leaves started to change about Oct 10, so trail wasn't too busy. Weather was not too hot, although we hit a bit of unseasonably warm weather. Not hot, just not the fall weather we expected. This year, we're hoping for a bit cooler weather and better leaf color. Probably have more traffic on trail as a result, and lodging may become an issue at the start and finish...leaf peepers.

JBeachgrl
07-14-2009, 15:29
Thank you all so much for the replies!! I will be looking further into all suggestions and appreciate y'alls input so much!!

Plodderman
07-14-2009, 15:52
Hiking in the fall is great the only problem can be when the leaves fall and the trail can be covered. Sometimes after miles of whiteblazes I just drift off into a trance and can loose the trial. Good time for your hike.

Summit
07-14-2009, 17:14
Hiking in the fall is great the only problem can be when the leaves fall and the trail can be covered. Sometimes after miles of whiteblazes I just drift off into a trance and can loose the trial. Good time for your hike.You must have drifted off into a trance before digesting the OP, mid-August is hot and the leaves haven't started thinking about turning colors, but nice pipe dream you presented! :)

Ox97GaMe
07-15-2009, 00:40
Any hiking you do in the Smokies will likely require that you take on several non-AT miles to get in or out of the AT. But, there are some really nice places in the Smokies to see via the side trails. And there is a ton of rafting opportunities around the park, North, East, or South.

You will need to call to get reservations for shelters in the Smokies to assure availability and that they are not closed due to bear activity.

I also like the suggestion about the Standing Indian (Franklin NC) loop. Take shuttle (or park) to Chunky Gal or Kimsey Creek Trail, hike around the loop, then shuttle or hitch back to vehicle.

RAT
07-15-2009, 01:28
I went home with a Chunky Gal once a buncha times !

ike1985
07-17-2009, 11:54
You can start at the begining of the AT, Springer mtn and finish at Neels Gap which is right at 30 miles. You could park at Walasi-Yi and be shuttled to Springer so you hike back to your car at Walasi.

And yes bring tents!! You never know what cud happen and you wouldn't want to be stuck without a shelter!

Also be prepared to hang your food. Read up on bears and rodents. Rodents will eat thru your packs to get inside so leave the packs open at night!

You can get in touch with Josh and Leigh with the hiker hostell for a shuttle. Look in the shuttle thread on this site for their info or google hiker hostel.

I don't know about the white water rafting. Sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in on that!

No matter where you go hiking read up ob it first and come to places like this! Also
Look for the 10 Esentials to carry while hiking. And while peoples opinions vary on these just look @ them and use your best judgement. Have some form of them with you!

Happy trails!

Does everyone leave their packs open at night?

MOWGLI
07-17-2009, 11:58

No, but those that are aware of the damage that mice can do usually leave all the zippers on their pack open.

Pedaling Fool
07-17-2009, 12:02
If you're staying in a shelter, opening all compartments of your pack is a very good idea. Just let the little critters inspect without damage.

JaxHiker
07-17-2009, 14:24
The drive from Jax to the Springer/Neels area isn't bad. In Feb my buddies and I hiked from Woody Gap to Hogpen Gap. I think it was 25 mi. We staged vehicles at either end and Neels. We had some guys that couldn't stay the entire weekend so a couple bailed at Neels. The rest of us went on to Hogpen and then drove back to get the vehicles at Woody. It's a nice little section.

Definitely take shelter but I'd suggest hammocks instead. They provide a lot more flexibility than tents.

fredmugs
07-19-2009, 21:55

I'll second this. I did Atkins to Damascus over Memorial Day weekend. I'm betting 3 women would enjoy hiking amongst the feral ponies in Grayson Highlands.