PDA

View Full Version : Blackburn Center to PenMar November Weather

trippclark
07-14-2009, 09:59
I am planning to have my third and final section hike of the year on November 7 - 11. Normally my fall hike is in mid October, but calendar conflicts are not cooperating this year. Anyway, the hike will be from Blackburn AT Center (mile 1001) to PenMar County Park (mile 1054). Obviously, the days will be short, and I need to plan to waste some time in Harpers Ferry (hence the 5 days for just 53 miles), but my concern is the weather. I know fully that temperatures vary wildly, just like any other time, but does anyone have any insight on what would be typical or normal temperatures to expect in early November in that area? My guess is mid-40s to mid-50's for high temps, and mid-20's to mid-30's for night time lows. Does that sound about right?

Cookerhiker
07-14-2009, 10:08
Wow, "typical or normal" for November can vary as you already indicated but I think your estimates are close. Since your hikes are at low elevations, you're likely to experience night temperatures higher than the 30s - perhaps even the 50s. Chances are in early November, the day's high will exceed 50 and if you have sunny days, the temps are likely to extend into the 60s.

You won't have cold temperatures per se but rain and penetrating dampness can bring uncomfortable chills so make sure you pack fleece, hat, and a waterproof jacket.

Keep in mind the clock change to Standard Time occurs around when you're hiking. Once on the Trail, your body clock and actual daylight is what counts.

Downhill Trucker
07-14-2009, 14:23
I agree with everything Cookerhiker says. November in MD can be a strange month. Prepare for as low as 30 and check the weather a few days before to fine tune.

Blissful
07-14-2009, 14:27
Temps look about right. Just be ready for some colder temps and windy with fronts moving through. Great time to go though. Have fun!

Pootz
07-14-2009, 14:30
The average temps for southern PA in November are High 53 Low 34. MD High 55 Low 34. The temps you experience may be a little warmer since you plan to hike at the beginning of the month, but I would not count on it. One thing to your advantage is that you can check the weather prior to leaving for the trail and get a pretty good idea since you will only be out for a week.

Enjoy your hike.

trippclark
07-14-2009, 14:39
Thanks for the feedback folks. I'm glad to get a bit of reassurance that the temps that I am anticipating are about right and maybe even a bit on the low side. Hopefully this will hold true.

Jaybird62
07-14-2009, 17:28
My advice would be to make sure you have good rain gear if you need to stay on a time schedule. A couple of years ago, I had a bit of a scare with cold temps and rain/sleet/snow. I had a poncho, but after a couple of hours I was soaked. The temps were 32-low 40's. I began to feel the beginning of hypothermia.......sure taught me a lesson.....