PDA

View Full Version : osprey atmos 65??????

PUNKINPUSS11
07-14-2009, 11:53
I'm doing the JMT(sierras) next year and was thinking bout getting the Osprey Atmos 65, this years of course. Does anyone have it and have any good or bad things to say about it?? Its a decent investment and wearing it around the store a few times doesnt seem to cut it...thx

PUNKINPUSS11
07-14-2009, 11:57
I shoulda looked at Gold Bonds post first....Doh

Ekul
07-14-2009, 12:49
I carried 40 pounds in one during the snowy winter months and my shoulders and waist were hurting after two days. The vented back is not made for winter, I would shiver everytime I stopped and have to layer up for the break. Both have very little cushioning. Zippers on two front pockets pulled off on the 4th day of the trip. I returned it to REI and replaced it with a gregory baltoro 70(good winter pack--its huge). Comfortable and moves with you as you swagger up the trail. I havent settled on a summer pack yet. The flash 50 REI looks interesting as well as some of the golites. REI is a good place to try packs as they will return them no matter the abuse given.

MintakaCat
07-15-2009, 22:17
I've got one and have had no problems with it. Seems to fit real well, but then again I went to REI and tried a few sizes until I felt comfortable with it. I've never had any zippers break or anything.

But I must also point out that I don't carry no 40 lbs in it either, Lawd!! When I hike in the winter my pack is around 30 lbs.

Is it the greatest pack in the world? Nope, but I haven't felt the need to replace it.

BitBucket
07-15-2009, 23:15
Osprey Atmos 65 - I've got one...an excellent fitting pack, very easy to load and unload, lots of pockets, hooks, straps for tightening the load down. Hip belt not quite as comfortable for me as those found on a Gregory Baltoro, but a darn good pack non-the-less.

Can really overpack this pack easily as it holds too much stuff that I probably don't need to carry on most hikes....

Don't think you could go wrong with it, but would try it on in a store fully loaded before buying...

sweetpeastu
07-16-2009, 16:43
if your a tall women...i'll sell you mine. It'd be a great pack if I hadn't bought the wrong size... lol.

Homer&Marje
07-16-2009, 17:11
Just got back from my 5th trip with mine and still completely happy with it...although the inside water bladder system I use for other things I need to keep dry, and put my large 70 oz bladder in the back pocket, I'm completely satisfied.

Just carried it through the Whites for 6 days, saw lots of thru hikers using the pack....and if anyone caught that show Expedition Africa you'll notice a few of them carrying that pack. Really nice, really light weight and seems very durable to me. Nothing broken, stretched, frayed or otherwise.

rusane
09-22-2009, 13:38
Got one - love it. Admittedly it's my first multi-day pack so it's hard to compare. However it fits great, the bottom access is brilliant. The ventilation is awesome. The customer service is phenominal. My dog chewed a buckle off; osprey has a spare parts form on their website. I filled it out and they mailed a new buckle free of charge no questions asked. I can't think of a single improvement I would make to the pack - as an engineer; that's saying something for me.

drastic_quench
09-22-2009, 21:26
Bought mine new with tags on Ebay for about $110. The arched frame plate airs out your pack, but comes with a little learning curve on packing larger items, like tents.

tuswm
01-19-2010, 02:06
I think i have around 500 or more days of use on my pack now, its looking old but nothing broken.

Jester2000
01-19-2010, 02:15
. . . The vented back is not made for winter, I would shiver everytime I stopped and have to layer up for the break. . .

Keep in mind that there's a zipper that accesses the "vented back" area. If you store your water bladder there, it's less likely to freeze. If, like me, you prefer to carry bottles in cold weather, you can fill the space with clothing.

Jchap
04-13-2010, 14:54
Great Pack. My first pack but it works well for me. to much weight and it will hurt your hips. lots of good features and its not to heavy!

Spokes
04-13-2010, 20:32
I used the Atmos 65 on last years thru and loved it. I'd describe it as a comfortable workhorse pack. The most common complaint from me and others is the mesh hip belt pockets don't last long and have the tendency to shred. Wish Osprey would wake up and re-design that little feature. Other than that it's a keeper!

Tramp
02-20-2012, 20:29
Anyone knowing where to find the atmos 65 med. In the cinder red color please p m me! Cand find in small at campmor. Need a med. Tks.

Tramp
02-20-2012, 20:31
Can find.... sorry

hikerboy57
02-20-2012, 21:49
got one have a few hundred miles on it, love it.